It's Not Our Year? | The Boneyard

It's Not Our Year?

Reaction Score
Nothing like a snappy title to get people interested. In message #70 of St. John’s post game thread, BBallF aptly summarized the team’s troubles this season and I thought he wrote that this is not our year, a sentiment that I have sadly come to share. On a closer reading of the text, however, such a view was not expressed. Still, my incorrect reading of BBallF’s statement crystalized my own views on this season and let me state the reasons for this opinion.

First, the team has suffered a series of injuries unprecedented since 2000-01, those of Bueckers, Azzi, and Griffin being the most significant. The general consensus is that the team will be really good once the walking wounded return, but will the injured players return and how effective will their play be? I keep wondering about Fudd. She played several games before being shut down and the likelihood is that she was not at 100% from the beginning of the season. She has been out much longer than anticipated. Assuming she returns this season, will she be healthy enough to be the player that we all anticipated? Will she demonstrate the ability to get open to shoot and can she play defense? We can perhaps see within the next couple of weeks. As for Paige, with luck she will be able to play a few games before the Big East Tournament. Yet what can we expect? Will either be close to 100% this season and, if so, will that be enough for a championship run? I am not sure for reasons 2 and 3 below.

Second, Edwards has not been the player she was last season, probably the result of the Canadian Olympic team experience. She seems slower and lacks confidence. Unless she regains her mojo, I don’t think the team has a prayer of making the Final Four.

Third, let’s not forget that Aubrey Griffin has been out for the entire season and what a crucial part of the team’s equation she has been for the past two years. She is a fierce defender and excellent rebounder and has been sorely missed.

Fourth, the team has lost four players from last year’s team - Makurat, Chassion, Poffenbarger, and McLean. Makurat played major minutes in every game until her mid-season injury, McLean had some good minutes last season, and given the injuries Poffenbarger and Chassion would probably have seen playing time by now. All, however, have left the program, an unprecedented number in the program’s history, and two after the season started.

On the plus side, however, has been the remarkable play of Caroline Ducharme, a multi-talented athlete with the ability to get open and make shots, and the improved game of Dorka Juhasz.

No one is throwing in the towel, certainly not Geno, the staff, and the players and it is probably a good thing that the South Carolina game has been cancelled, so we must try to be optimistic. The glass may be half empty but it is not empty yet and we can hope for the return Williams soon and of Fudd and Bueckers later down the line. Then we shall see.

Reaction Score
It is any ones year. That is why we play the game. We need to see whose year it might be. Remember that one year when Stanford was beaten by a #16 team. That could happen again. South Carolina could play Quinnipiac and lose. You never know.

Reaction Score
It would be easy to say "it's just not our year" considering all that has happened. Ironically, UConn could look to their nemesis Notre Dame for inspiration. In 2018 they overcame 4 torn ACLs among other injuries that season and went on to win an unlikely national title. If they can do it.....

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
It is any ones year. That is why we play the game. We need to see whose year it might be. Remember that one year when Stanford was beaten by a #16 team. That could happen again. South Carolina could play Quinnipiac and lose. You never know.
Only if the SC players are asked to spell it.

Reaction Score
Nothing like a snappy title to get people interested. In message #70 of St. John’s post game thread, BBallF aptly summarized the team’s troubles this season and I thought he wrote that this is not our year, a sentiment that I have sadly come to share. On a closer reading of the text, however, such a view was not expressed. Still, my incorrect reading of BBallF’s statement crystalized my own views on this season and let me state the reasons for this opinion.

First, the team has suffered a series of injuries unprecedented since 2000-01, those of Bueckers, Azzi, and Griffin being the most significant. The general consensus is that the team will be really good once the walking wounded return, but will the injured players return and how effective will their play be? I keep wondering about Fudd. She played several games before being shut down and the likelihood is that she was not at 100% from the beginning of the season. She has been out much longer than anticipated. Assuming she returns this season, will she be healthy enough to be the player that we all anticipated? Will she demonstrate the ability to get open to shoot and can she play defense? We can perhaps see within the next couple of weeks. As for Paige, with luck she will be able to play a few games before the Big East Tournament. Yet what can we expect? Will either be close to 100% this season and, if so, will that be enough for a championship run? I am not sure for reasons 2 and 3 below.

Second, Edwards has not been the player she was last season, probably the result of the Canadian Olympic team experience. She seems slower and lacks confidence. Unless she regains her mojo, I don’t think the team has a prayer of making the Final Four.

Third, let’s not forget that Aubrey Griffin has been out for the entire season and what a crucial part of the team’s equation she has been for the past two years. She is a fierce defender and excellent rebounder and has been sorely missed.

Fourth, the team has lost four players from last year’s team - Makurat, Chassion, Poffenbarger, and McLean. Makurat played major minutes in every game until her mid-season injury, McLean had some good minutes last season, and given the injuries Poffenbarger and Chassion would probably have seen playing time by now. All, however, have left the program, an unprecedented number in the program’s history, and two after the season started.

On the plus side, however, has been the remarkable play of Caroline Ducharme, a multi-talented athlete with the ability to get open and make shots, and the improved game of Dorka Juhasz.

No one is throwing in the towel, certainly not Geno, the staff, and the players and it is probably a good thing that the South Carolina game has been cancelled, so we must try to be optimistic. The glass may be half empty but it is not empty yet and we can hope for the return Williams soon and of Fudd and Bueckers later down the line. Then we shall see.
We’ll said. But you left out that Liv is playing the best basketball of her career.

Reaction Score
Earlier this season I laid out the bones of a movie plot... a high ranked team's Star player goes down early in the season with serious injury, many think all hope is lost. Then another player goes down, and then another...some to injury some to COVID. A few players "jump ship"... but those that remained healthy and available rally around each other, and the coaches change their approach to many game plans. They battle their way through the season, they learn and grow together through each win and loss, they improve their individual and Team play. As the season gets to 2nd half, the injured and sick return one by one. The Team blends them in and the Coaches make needed adjustments to continue to improve. Before the BIG Dance all sick and injured are back in uniform...rally around each other and take one step at a time... all the way to the final 4.....and then?????

Who knows, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger!!! We have the pieces...just need to get them all well and healthy.

It's gonna be fun to watch!!! Just have to come up with a catchy title for the movie... :):cool:

Last edited:

sun

Reaction Score
Yep. UConn faces a steep uphill battle, one that's very, very steep.
Even with everyone at 100% it would still be very steep.
We would be lucky to survive a battle with the #1 seed in any region.
Can't sweat it because no one can predict another team's failure and whether our defense can be good enough.
What will be will be, and that's all she wrote.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Probably the best comp to what has happened so far this year is from that Orange team from the late nineties - they had a 'disastrous' season entering the NCAA tournament at 23-10, 8-4 in the SEC for 5th place, got a three seed and won the 1997 championship. I believe that involved the return of an injured point guard.

Depending on the medicals, Uconn has a chance to be a much better team in March than they have been all year with Nika and Azzi finally healthy, Caroline Ducharme experienced, and Edwards and Ono getting some of her swagger back. If Paige returns healthy and can play herself into shape ... who knows.

FYI - that TN team handed an undefeated Uconn their first loss in the E8 game.

Reaction Score
Spell it... I T. People love it when you do stuff like that.
I always get, "How do you spell that"? So I say
T H A T. And they write it down and then look at me like I did something wrong. I only spelled the word they wanted to know.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
I believe that involved the return of an injured point guard.

FYI - that TN team handed an undefeated Uconn their first loss in the E8 game.
Thank goodness there is no one left on the Tennessee team that remembers that! ;)

Reaction Score
I think it's early for that conclusion, but in a season where many things have gone wrong, we now need many things to go right to be close to preseason expectations. Paige has to come back close to 100%, Azzi needs to be healthy, and not just play well, but like a number 1 generational talent. Aaliyah needs to get her mojo back, Dorka needs to play like she did at Ohio State, Christyn and Evina need to be at least as good as last year which so far they have not been etc.

All of those things are possible, which is why we can cling to some title aspirations, but we need almost all of the above to happen, with really no room for further setbacks.

Reaction Score
Spell it... I T. People love it when you do stuff like that.
I always get, "How do you spell that"? So I say
T H A T. And they write it down and then look at me like I did something wrong. I only spelled the word they wanted to know.
Do they, really?

Reaction Score
I don't see Paige returning this year. She's still on crutches, and rehab could take months. If Azzi is still out, it was a major injury. Can we really expect her to come back and play 30 tough minutes a game? Even 20 minutes at full speed? And Aubrey with back surgery.

On the other hand, the team would look dramatically different by November of this year. We could presume that

Paige has sufficient time to rehab and return to previous form.
Azzi is back.
Ducharmes returns with even more confidence and experience.
They're joined by two first-team All Americans, who have height and strength at 6'2" and 6'3".

And we've begun to see Gabriel show signs that her "work in progress" has indeed progressed.

We can hope that whatever is troubling Edwards can be worked out and that she returns to form.

That shapes up as a powerful team.

Reaction Score
Bad form here, I know, but, it is definitely not UConn's year. Maybe next year. Love UConn and hope they prove me wrong, but I'm a realist. Even for the teams I root for, I don't ever stick my head in the sand (a lot of people here are very guilty of doing that.)

IF Paige and Azzi are healthy and they hit a groove, maybe. Just maybe. For anything to happen though, the Seniors, besides LIV, need to do more. With or without Paige, they need to do more or it isn't going to happen. Talking to you EW.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I think before it can be determined whether this is UConn's year or not, It MUST be clearly defined and agreed on what constitutes a season being "our year." Exactly what does that mean? There are too many posters here that have different outlooks and perceptions on what a good year is. Kind of like two people looking at a glass of water filled half way to it's capacity.

Arizona lost the national championship game last year to Stanford by 1 point, 54-53. Obviously Stanford (and their fans) celebrated and felt that it was their year. They were holding the national championship trophy up, and wearing hats and tee-shirts that confirmed they were the national champs. Did Arizona also feel it was THEIR year? They walked off the floor mad, po'ed, dejected and heart broken. They got farther along in the tournament than anyone else that didn't win it all. I'd be willing to bet no one in their locker room after the game was extolling that "THIS WAS OUR YEAR."

So what constitutes a final won-loss record as being YOUR year? How can THIS be UConn's year if they don't win the NC? The Boneyard is constantly buzzing about news of Azzi and Paige's return. Today is Jan 26, 2022. UConn has approximately 13 games left, not including the 3 remaining games that were postponed. Let's assume that those games are made up. That's 16 games to be played between now and Feb 27, basically 4 weeks from now. How close are Azzi and Paige to returning from today? When they return, they have to be medically cleared, AND they have to be in decent basketball shape. Time may not permit them to get into "excellent" basketball shape.

Even if both Azzi and Paige come back, how effective will they be in terms of production, putting points on the board, playing the type of defense that will help the team win? To me, in order for THIS to be UConn's year, ALL of the pieces would have to come together, Azzi and Paige would have to come back at full strength, and UConn would have to "run the table" from that point to the end of the tournament.

I don't see that happening. There are too many other ELITE teams that are at full strength, and have been all year, are in sync and running on all cylinders. They are BIG, talented and just as hungry as UConn if not more to win it all.

There are some very talented teams in Division 1 WCBB this year. Only 1 will win the championship. Only 1 team will win all 6 games of the tournament. I remind everyone that the gap between UConn and other D1 programs that existed a few years ago is gone. UConn has fallen back to the pack and is no long the elephant in the room. Teams no longer fear playing UConn. How confident would South Carolina, Georgia Tech, Louisville or Oregon be if they were matched up with UConn in a tournament bracket? Right now UConn has 6 players that Geno can count on. Is that enough?

I understand that the medical prognosis is for Azzi and Paige to return soon. What happens if they don't? How far can UConn go with 6 players? If Paige and Azzi do come back, will they be on "limited minutes" like Christyn is supposedly will be tonight? Because of all of the variables I've stated, I don't think THIS can be UConn's year. I'm not a doctor, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn last night. So far, Geno has been our only source of information with respect to their medical condition, and the prognosis of their anticipated return.

Time is running out. The window is closing. The question that stands out most in my mind is can UConn return to the form necessary to run the table once the conference tournament begins? That means everyone CONSISTENTLY showing up for every game and (as Geno says) bringing something with them. Three Big East tournament games, and six NCAA tournament games. Can they do it? Realistically can they do it on neutral floors? THAT is what is going to have to happen for THIS to be UConn's year. That is an uphill climb I don't think they can make. Thoughts.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom