It's not NIL or the roster, Jim | Page 6 | The Boneyard

It's not NIL or the roster, Jim

Reaction Score
What has Dave Benedict done in regards to football that gives anyone hope this dumpster fire will be turned around?
Lol absolutely nothing. That’s why I think he’s a moron. Still hoping for the best though. We need investment and new coaching more than anything else.

Reaction Score
Diaco was, on paper, the perfect hire for us. We just need to add "not certifiably insane" to the job criteria.
At the time...he was a huge get for the program. His 2nd year record with the win over Houston had many of us convinced. All down hill from there....how he still manages to find work in football is mystifying to say the least.

Reaction Score
We were overmatched (not by a large margin, but enough) on both lines of scrimmage today.

We had at least three critical dropped passes and continually gave large cushions to their receivers.

We missed a ton of tackles on defense.

All of the above can be traced directly to a shortage of physical/athletic talent or indirectly (due to schemes designed to limit the damage deficiencies can lead to) to shortage of talent.

Those who believe it is merely coaching/playcalling spent too much time believing video game football and actual football are interchangeable.
I agree 100 percent. We have better talent than we had 2 years ago but not nearly enough talent to consistently win at least 6 games year with the schedule that we play. It’s frustrating for our fan base but the fact remains we still need big infusion of talent to get to where we want to be.

Reaction Score
Your unsubstantiated criticism of the Rent is getting pretty tiresome. We know how you feel so knock it off.
Get lost Sherlock. I’ll stop my criticism of the Rent and it’s effect on the football program if you and your cronies stop the criticism of a 2nd year head coach who took on the thankless job of trying to make something out of the worst program in FBS.

Reaction Score
Surprisingly good scheduling, firing Randy and hiring Jim Mora. (That's what I got.)
Randy should have been gone after year 2. If it was ever clear a guy wasn't even trying to win, that was it.

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
Yes, whatever the state says it will pay to make infrastructure improvements to Rentschler Field you can multiply that by 3. There are pictures of rust creep and water damage from the leaky roof.
Just to be clear....do you identify as a basketball-only troll, or a structural engineer? This Rent Rant is aging worse than losing football seasons.

Reaction Score
Just to be clear....do you identify as a basketball-only troll, or a structural engineer? This Rent Rant is aging worse than losing football seasons.
Forget the Rent rant aging, you should be worried more about the aging of the Rent itself. It’s in worse shape than my grandmother’s 62 Chevy.

Reaction Score
I agree 100 percent. We have better talent than we had 2 years ago but not nearly enough talent to consistently win at least 6 games year with the schedule that we play. It’s frustrating for our fan base but the fact remains we still need big infusion of talent to get to where we want to be.
Saying we have better talent than two years ago is like saying it's easier to deal with a tax audit from the State of CT than the IRS.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Saying we have better talent than two years ago is like saying it's easier to deal with a tax audit from the State of CT than the IRS.
It isn't.

Trust me

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I just can’t believe you’ve learned nothing in 13 years and 4 bad coaching staffs later. If it smells like a turd, it usually is a turd. We have an immense capacity around here to ignore the stinking facts and convince ourselves everything is going to turn up roses but it never does.
You sound like they Hurley haters. They used that same level of rhetoric less than 12 months ago...And it turns out you were one of them!

"... anybody suggesting [Hurley] is a great coach has lost all sense of objectivity. He hasn’t shown the ability to win when it counts, and he has a hell of a lot talent to work with and still can’t get over the hump...There is enough data to conclude he can’t handle big time games."

And of course the classic: " Fire Hurley. There I said it. Of course, we can’t because we are in a huge contract commitment, but that is one crappy reason."

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You sound like they Hurley haters. They used that same level of rhetoric less than 12 months ago...And it turns out you were one of them!

"... anybody suggesting [Hurley] is a great coach has lost all sense of objectivity. He hasn’t shown the ability to win when it counts, and he has a hell of a lot talent to work with and still can’t get over the hump...There is enough data to conclude he can’t handle big time games."
Oh gosh. You’re right. Everything is fine eith football. For the record, I’ve said I would not throw the baby out with the bath water. Mora needs a new OC, a DC and a new ST coach… you know for the record.

Reaction Score
Diaco was, on paper, the perfect hire for us. We just need to add "not certifiably insane" to the job criteria.
How was he the right hire? He’s failed everywhere he’s gone to that doesn’t have Notre Dame in it

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
How was he the right hire? He’s failed everywhere he’s gone to that doesn’t have Notre Dame in it
All of which happened after he failed at Connecticut, right? At the time, Diaco was a hot Broyles award winning coach coming from a successful run at a storied program. Young and enthusiastic, he seemed like a perfect hire "on paper." As noted above, he was also certifiably insane which turned out to outweigh all the positives in his favor.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
All of which happened after he failed at Connecticut, right? At the time, Diaco was a hot Broyles award winning coach coming from a successful run at a story the program. Young and enthusiastic, he seemed like a perfect hire "on paper." As noted above, he was also certifiably insane which turned out to outweigh all the positives in his favor.

But if you looked closely at him it wasn’t hard to see he was a total fraud and completely overrated.

Reaction Score
All of which happened after he failed at Connecticut, right? At the time, Diaco was a hot Broyles award winning coach coming from a successful run at a storied program. Young and enthusiastic, he seemed like a perfect hire "on paper." As noted above, he was also certifiably insane which turned out to outweigh all the positives in his favor.
He really should have never made it past an introductory phone interview

CL82

Reaction Score
He really should have never made it past an introductory phone interview
"Fish cakes? Interesting take Bob. Well, I think I've got all I need. You'll hear from us ."

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Not able to read whole thread but we tend to get caught up in these either/or debates when multiple things can be true. The coaching stinks, the roster stinks, NIL stinks, if the stadium doesn’t stink yet it’s showing its age, our fans stink, the AD stinks, conference situation stinks, etc. We might be able to carry on if only a couple things were awful but everything is awful. Every time we say things can’t get worse we find a way.

CL82

Reaction Score
But if you looked closely at him it wasn’t hard to see he was a total fraud and completely overrated.
Definitely with the benefit of hindsight. I'm on the record here as not liking his patter from day one, but I could see how his mania would come across as energy and enthusiasm in an interview. In many ways, I think Pasqualoni was a worse "hire" in that there was ample evidence that he had issues as a head coach that were masked by Donovan McNabb. I definitely think he was a better evaluator of talent than Diaco.

Really, anyone of these "bad hires" wouldn't have killed the program, but three in a row put us in a huge hole to try to climb out of.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom