It's been a year since his passing. | The Boneyard

It's been a year since his passing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Wow - time has flown...

So glad he lived to see Mikaela Shiffrin bring home gold. Priceless!

Here were Mikaela's words on Twitter upon OldeCoach's passing:

oc.jpg

"I want to offer my condolences to the family and friends of Warren Witherell. I didn't know Warren well, but I know that his contributions to ski racing were remarkable. "How the Racers Ski" was a ground breaking book that is a must have for all skiers interested in understanding how to make a better turn. As founder of Burke Mountain Academy, Warren's impact on generations of high schoolers and ski racers, including myself, is immeasurable. I owe Warren my gratitude, for founding the school that gave me chance to pursue my dreams. Warren will be missed. Rest in Peace."

Among the responses to Mikaela's kind words was one from OCoach's daughter:

Heidi Witherell "Mikaela- Thank you so much for the lovely tribute to my father. This photo brings such warm and lovely memories of BMA and Willoughby Gap. I know from the many discussions I had with my father close to his passing and during the last 8-10 months of his illness that he was so very proud of your accomplishments in snow skiing. Specifically he felt that you had an incredibly methodical way of studying the techniques of successful racers but then going way beyond to develop your own style that surpassed all of your predecessors. So I think you and my father shared a lot - you each had a vision that changed the way that people approach the sport. As all great teachers are only launching pads for the ability of their students to achieve new heights of success I think he had that kind of impact on people's lives. He felt an incredible sense of pride when his students went further than he imagined. In the words of Walt Whitman (whose poetry we read to my father on the last day of his life):" I am the teacher of athletes, He that by me spreads a wider breast than my own proves the width of my own, He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher." I think you have achieved that and more and he is ever proud.

LINK

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I just can't emphasize the warmth, affection and camaraderie he showed
on the day i finally got over to Middlebury (after a few false alarms) to spend a few terrific hours at his place and over lunch;
Talking "old folks" ski technique and of course woman's BB.
What a knowledgable guy.
I miss his wonderful insights and strength of character.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I always looked forward to Ole Coachs posts. Full of wisdom. We had a lot of great times at City Steam with the Yarders at lunch. Ole Coach was a true legend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom