It looks likely that the UCONN/USC game will be in February | Page 2 | The Boneyard

It looks likely that the UCONN/USC game will be in February

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
That would be, "If Kiah continues playing at the level she did at the end of the season."

Reaction Score
How many times has there been this big build up of UCONN versus the undefeated #2 team only to see them lose by 25 or 30 points. It has happened enough times that sometimes a big loss to UCONN doesn't affect the standings.

45 TO GO

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I disagree that UCONN will be better after losing Dolson and Hartley. I don't think you lose two WNBA caliber players and not feel the impact.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I disagree that UCONN will be better after losing Dolson and Hartley. I don't think you lose two WNBA caliber players and not feel the impact.
I understand your faith in USC but UConn has torn apart many "top teams" over the last few seasons... based on those facts people will continue to make that bold prediction until otherwise (Notre Dame).

PS: do you want to make a lil side bet on the upcoming game, no spread just win or lose :D

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
That is a wise choice, Leghorn; keep your money in your pocket. Maybe in, say, five or ten years.......:)

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

I do believe UConn has the potential to be better next year despite losing Hartley and Dolson. It's 3 best players -- Jefferson, KML and Stewart -- return and all three have room to improve. They also have the experience of winning 2 national championships. In '08-09 UConn's offense ran through Montgomery, Charles and Moore plus a few role players (Greene, Hayes and McLaren). In '14-15 UConn's offense will run through Jefferson, KML and Stewart with a lot more talent and experience competing to fill in as role players. Plus, the increased experience and depth at the guard positions will allow UConn to extend it defense in ways it hasn't in recent years.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
easttexastrash said:
. KML will establish herself as the #1 pick in the 2015 WNBA draft. Kiah Stokes will be drafted in 2015 as well. Moriah will be a WNBA player and a high draft pick when all is said and done. Breanna will be the #1 pick in 2016. Morgan's future is TBD, but bottom line, she'll be improving tremendously over the previous season (where injuries kept her from being able to make much of a contribution).

The 2014-15 team will be loaded with WNBA-caliber players. Losing Stef and Bria hurts, but those minuses can be compensated for by inevitable pluses (Stewie, Stokes, Tuck, MoJeff, KML, the bench).

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
One addendum:

For historical precedent, one only need to go back 12 years. Uconn lost four players to graduation- four players who were in the top six overall WNBA draft picks. And despite this tremendous loss, uconn still won the next two national championships. We all love and cherish Stef and Bria, but we've seen bigger losses on UConn's teams before.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Re the addendum - I know this thread has wandered back and forth across the road, but I believe there was a questioning of the statement that "UConn would be better" next year, not that "it would struggle to win a NC" next year.

So: how would we define better, considering the players (for and against) will change?

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Re the addendum - I know this thread has wandered back and forth across the road, but I believe there was a questioning of the statement that "UConn would be better" next year, not that "it would struggle to win a NC" next year.

So: how would we define better, considering the players (for and against) will change?

Good question: what's the operational definition of "better"? Well, UConn was 40-0 in 2013-14. Its three closest games were by deficits of 11, 15, and 17 (twice). There were three WBCA AAs, two top-seven overall WNBA draft picks, a DPOY winner, an NPOY winner, and a partridge in a pear tree. So, that's all a measurable bar.

I think UConn can go 39-0. If we're going to South Bend, I think UConn will have a game with an MOV below 15. I do think the average MOV of 34 (from last season) can be surpassed. I predict at least WBCA AAs (Stewie, KML, Moriah), possibly more if everyone is healthy. I predict Stewie will vie for DPOY and NPOY. Finally, I anticipate KML will be drafted #1 overall, and Kiah will be drafted somewhere.

Given that, all the girls have to do is get the partridge in a pear tree, and that 2014-15 team will be the greatest UConn WBB team of all time. :)

Reaction Score
Massey ratings projects that UConn would have beat SC by about 32 at home last season. And that is based on a full season of data, much of which was without a healthy KML. If you don't buy that, you might want to rewatch the championship game.

Closing the gap by ten points in one season would actually be pretty impressive.

Of course I'm assuming both teams healthy.

Reaction Score
Once more I would like to invoke the new "Tuck Rule". If Morgan is healthy next year, there is a very, very high chance Uconn will be better than last year. Although I admit that Stef and Bria were huge last year, Geno always finds a way to reconfigure the offense and Morgan's return should be a huge lift.

Defensively, I'm extremely confident that the team will be better come November and let's face it, defense has been and will continue to be the driving force behind Uconn's success. Don't overlook the incredible athleticism we are gaining from our incoming freshman. Uconn's 2014-15 team may just raise the bar defensively to a level never seen!! Add in Butler in 2015-16 and OMG!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom