It looks likely that the UCONN/USC game will be in February | The Boneyard

It looks likely that the UCONN/USC game will be in February

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
ESPN likes to broadcast UConn on Big Monday games, though it's tougher to do that with UConn in the AAC and Louisville gone. It's a matter of finding teams willing to play a big-time non-conference opponent during conference play. Glad that South Carolina agreed.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Dawn has said that she'll play anyone, anywhere. Do you think this game will be in Storrs or Hartford?

Reaction Score
I am looking foward to this game. But I am REALLY looking forward to the rematch in Columbia year after next. That one promises to be a doozy. The Huskies should have their way at hom in February, but once Wilson and White have a year under their belts and SC gets the home court advantage, it coukd be a very different story.

Reaction Score
I am looking foward to this game. But I am REALLY looking forward to the rematch in Columbia year after next. That one promises to be a doozy. The Huskies should have their way at hom in February, but once Wilson and White have a year under their belts and SC gets the home court advantage, it coukd be a very different story.

UConn will still have Stewie and they won't.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Yes, I wouldn't be surprised to see 18,000 at the CLAW for that game.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Really? I don't doubt it will be a highly anticipated game, but Stewie was the best player in the nation as a sophomore. You are talking about a match-up her senior year. Add in Jefferson and Tuck... UCONN will have 2 players (Stewie and Jefferson) who will be the best at their positions in the nation.

Remember the hype for the NC game in 2014? 2 undefeated teams both looking for perfection. It was the match-up everyone wanted. UCONN won in a blowout. Of course, the game you are referencing is 2 years away. I have no idea how the SC newbies will develop. And for the record, UCONN's incoming freshman class is better than SC's.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Based on what criteria, other than your own subjective opinion?

ESPNW has USC's class above UConn's. Perhaps for the simple reason that USC's incoming class consists of 5 members, to UConn's class holding 4. Both the USC and UConn classes contain two 98-grade and two 97-grade players, per Hoopsgurlz. The 89-graded 3-star Cliney may tip the scales in the USC's favor. But USC's class is the only one that has #1-rated players at their position, and it actually has TWO: Wilson is the #1 Forward, and White is the #1 Post. UConn's class contains no #1-rated players at their positions. Not to mention USC's class contains the overall #1 prospect for this cycle per ESPN, regardless of position.

But even if you doubt that - for example, Prospectsnation.com has PG Kelcey Mitchell as it's pick for overall #1 prospect for the 2014 cycle. But they still rate Wilson as the #1 F, and White as the #1 P, and UConn again has no positional #1s in their class, per PN. However, I don't know how up-to-date PN's ranking lists are: their 2014 class rankings don't even show USC's class in the top 10, while they show UConn's class at #2. It says the list is updated through April 25th, 2013. So that's a lot of help there....

Fullcourt.com doesn't have positional rankings, and it has ND's F Brianna Turner as it's overall #1, but while Turner is listed here as a F (Forward), Wilson is #2 overall and the top W (Wing), and White is at #5 overall and it's top C (Center), same as Post. In Fullcourt's 2014 Top50 class, USC has the overall #2, #5, #26 (Duckett), and #34 (Cuevas), while UConn has the #13 (Williams), #31 (Ekmark), #38 (Edwards), and Nurse isn't listed...
Now you can throw Natalie Butler (6'5'' Georgetown transfer) into the UConn mix and the scales are tipped to the Huskies; in spite of the numbers just mentioned. It will be fun if that game happens to be the potential 91st in a row. But that's a late 2015 topic; way to soon to dream of the possibilities..................

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
CLE, you make a persuasive case and there can be no question but that in all likelihood the UConn vs. USC game in Columbia will be a competitive match between two talented and well coached teams. Permit me to cast a few raindrops on your parade. Three factors to consider (all familiar to 'Yarders):

As stated in Ecclesiastes, "The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong," but (thx Ring Lardner) that's where the smart money is bet.

Your team will be very good and your crowd will be large and loud. But UConn may start (my early line guess) Stewie, Moriah, Natalie, Morgan and Kia -- backed up by Saniya, Sadie, Gabby, Courtney, Napheesa, and De'Janae. I like our chances. (It could get better with Asia or Katie Lou.)

Finally, I invite your attention to my signature line below in blue.

I rest my case and wish you well.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Again, not the best response relative to what I'm questioning, which was ericsandiego's statement regarding UConn's and USC's incoming freshman classes, although I wish you well as well. Further, I must have the signature feature turned off, as I do not see one for you....

I'll help you.

"Never underestimate the heart of a champion!"

Reaction Score
Really? I don't doubt it will be a highly anticipated game, but Stewie was the best player in the nation as a sophomore. You are talking about a match-up her senior year. Add in Jefferson and Tuck... UCONN will have 2 players (Stewie and Jefferson) who will be the best at their positions in the nation.

Remember the hype for the NC game in 2014? 2 undefeated teams both looking for perfection. It was the match-up everyone wanted. UCONN won in a blowout. Of course, the game you are referencing is 2 years away. I have no idea how the SC newbies will develop. And for the record, UCONN's incoming freshman class is better than SC's.
I didn't mean to suggest SC would be favored in Columbia in 2015/16. But I expect it to be much more competitive than next year in Hartford or Storrs. Next year I would favor UConn by 20 to 25. In 2015/16, more like 5 to 10.

UConn will be outstanding and I would be loathe to bet against Stewie and MoJeff in their senior years. But, SC could have three of the top 10 players in WCBB at that point with Wilson, Coates and Mitchell. They should be able to make it competitive on their home court.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
I think they will have DdS by 2015/16.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I didn't mean to suggest SC would be favored in Columbia in 2015/16. But I expect it to be much more competitive than next year in Hartford or Storrs. Next year I would favor UConn by 20 to 25. In 2015/16, more like 5 to 10.

UConn will be outstanding and I would be loathe to bet against Stewie and MoJeff in their senior years. But, SC could have three of the top 10 players in WCBB at that point with Wilson, Coates and Mitchell. They should be able to make it competitive on their home court.

Wow...to favor UCONN by 20 - 25 is really bold. I actually think that USC has a chance to come away with a big win. USC is going to be so dominant in the paint with Ibium, Coates, White and Wilson that it is going to be tough to score unless there are a lot of points off of turnovers or you shoot exceedingly well from the perimeter. Stokes will have to stay out of foul trouble and there are multiple players that USC can put on the floor at the 5 position.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Wow...to favor UCONN by 20 - 25 is really bold. I actually think that USC has a chance to come away with a big win. USC is going to be so dominant in the paint with Ibium, Coates, White and Wilson that it is going to be tough to score unless there are a lot of points off of turnovers or you shoot exceedingly well from the perimeter. Stokes will have to stay out of foul trouble and there are multiple players that USC can put on the floor at the 5 position.

White and Wilson have said they're not 5s. I wonder which of those two will get to guard Stewart. Stokes has done quite nicely defending E Williams and Chiney, so I think she'll be okay.

From what I saw UConn just plays at a different level and while SCar may narrow the gap next year it won't be enough. Staley said last season after the Tenn game that her team was not comfortable playing at Tenn's pace. Tenn's pace was nothing compared to what she'll see in Ct next year.

Reaction Score
I think UCONN fans, like me, follow history when it comes to setting a point spread. UCONN has handled ranked teams, except ND, pretty easily these last 7 years so why should we think USC should be any different, especially at home. The 2015-16 game might be very different.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I think UCONN fans, like me, follow history when it comes to setting a point spread. UCONN has handled ranked teams, except ND, pretty easily these last 7 years so why should we think USC should be any different, especially at home. The 2015-16 game might be very different.

Because USC is going to have more talent than UCONN has faced since BG's senior season. I think that a LOT of people are not reconginzing the talent level that USC is going to have, and they were a darn good team last year.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
White and Wilson have said they're not 5s. I wonder which of those two will get to guard Stewart. Stokes has done quite nicely defending E Williams and Chiney, so I think she'll be okay.

From what I saw UConn just plays at a different level and while SCar may narrow the gap next year it won't be enough. Staley said last season after the Tenn game that her team was not comfortable playing at Tenn's pace. Tenn's pace was nothing compared to what she'll see in Ct next year.

Quite frankly, with Ibiam and Coates at the 5, USC does not need White and Wilson to play at the 5. If they are capable of playing the 4 then even better for them. That gives USC two 6-4 players to match up with Stewart.

I am really surprised that so little respect is being given to the USC talent level.

Last edited:

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Little respect? Not by some of us. I think USC will be the team to beat, esp. after next year, when I bet they'll also have DdS. And then ND is going to be fantastic. There are so many good games in the offing and I hope we can schedule both of these teams twice each year. Bring it!!!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Quite frankly, with Ibiam and Coates at the 5, USC does not need White and Wilson to play at the 5. If they are capable of playing the 4 then even better for them. That gives USC two 6-4 players to match up with Stewart.

I am really surprised that so little respect is being given to the USC talent level.

I'm really surprised that so little respect is being given to Stewart's talent level that you think 2 incoming freshman can match up with her when no one in WCBB has done it yet. If, as expected, Stewart improves her ball-handling to the point where she can comfortably take (taller) defenders off the dribble, it'll be even tougher.

It's not a matter of no respect for SC's talent. Dawn is a very good coach and is putting together quite a roster. I watched SC play last year, including losses to Tenn and twice to UNC, and I don't think they play at the pace or level that will beat UConn next year. Beyond next year may be a different story. We'll see.

Reaction Score
Yes SC will have an advantage at the 5 (that's a huge compliment to Coates IMO) but UConn has the advantage everywhere else, big advantages in some cases, including bench, And home court. I'm very bullish on SC''s future but let's remember they proved not to be even a F4 caliber team last year, so they've got a lot of ground to cover to compete with Stewie et al.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Darn shame that the 2015-16 matchup will most likely be played on a non-weekend day.... No way would I drive to Columbia for a Monday night game.... but I'd might consider it if were played on a Friday Night, or a Saturday.

the title of this post had me WAY psyched for as minute (i live in southern california.) i wish we were playing at USC this year :( :( :(

You are correct.... there is only one USC... despite what my neighbors to the south say (and others unfortunately). Just like there is only one UNC....... and thats located somewhere north of Denver ;)

unc_20inline_20logo.gif

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Yes SC will have an advantage at the 5 (that's a huge compliment to Coates IMO) but UConn has the advantage everywhere else, big advantages in some cases, including bench, And home court. I'm very bullish on SC''s future but let's remember they proved not to be even a F4 caliber team last year, so they've got a lot of ground to cover to compete with Stewie et al.

I simply cannot imagine UCONN winning by 20 - 25. I don't think UCONN will be as good as this past season and USC is going to be drastically improved by adding the number 1 and 7 recruits.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
easttexastrash said:
I simply cannot imagine UCONN winning by 20 - 25. I don't think UCONN will be as good as this past season and USC is going to be drastically improved by adding the number 1 and 7 recruits.
Uconn will be better this upcoming season than last season. Stewie is the best player in the country and will only be better. KML will be healthier and more consistently excellent. MoJeff only figures to improve. Tuck will give Uconn basically infinitely more than she could last year. If Kiah starts playing consistently at the level at which she did towards the end of last year, it'll be an improvement. Meanwhile, the bench will be enhanced significantly by an excellent recruiting class coming in. 20-25 points is questionable, but I'd be surprised by lower than 15 at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom