Is the SEC overrated? | The Boneyard

Is the SEC overrated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GG

Reaction Score
I knew that UConn is playing a phenomenal game so far. But I have to ask again, was the S EC overrated of the season? I can't wait to hear what Fortner it and/or Peck have to say about this.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Particularly since last nights announcers more or less specifically said they were "not an offensive league".

Although Pat really wasn't wrong about the importance of defense, rebounding and guard play come tourney time. You guys just have the offense too.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Ugh. I always cringe at these sweeping conference assessments. After enduring countless hypotheses about how the Pac-12 was overrated all season, now suddenly that theory has lost popularity.

GG

Reaction Score
Ugh. I always cringe at these sweeping conference assessments. After enduring countless hypotheses about how the Pac-12 was overrated all season, now suddenly that theory has lost popularity.
Well, I think the game results for each is rather telling.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score

Exactly. It's all about matchups.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Exactly. It's all about matchups.

I really thought I was going to puke if I heard one more person talk derisively about how the Pac-12 had merely "gamed" the RPI to its favor.

Reaction Score
No they're Not overrated...Keep it humble we not done yet...SEC IS JUST FACING GREATNESS.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Well, I think the game results for each is rather telling.

The SEC, on the whole, did not underperform according to their seeding — which I supposed would be the only quasi-reasonable gauge of "overratedness".

Reaction Score

The Pac 12 were overrated during the regular season yes...The tournament is a whole new season altogether. You start over...You show up or go home

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I think the SEC, offensively, is geared to "pound it inside." Consequently their guard play is average at best. In the college game, and Geno has said this more than once, you need very good to great guards to win.

Until the SEC coaches understand this, their offensive output will keep them from winning it all.

Reaction Score
The tournament is a whole new season altogether. You start over...You show up or go home

Yeah something Geno has figured out. It's nice to be #1 and all that but that ain't the goal. The hype last year for SC was off the charts because of their #1 ranking. They were the great hype hope to beat UConn. They lose by 25. This year UConn wins by 12 and people think hey SC has a shot except that the UConn team that played today is not the same UConn team as even that short time ago. I'm thinking that the UConn team that played today would have beaten SC by at least 25.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Yeah something Geno has figured out. It's nice to be #1 and all that but that ain't the goal. The hype last year for SC was off the charts because of their #1 ranking. They were the great hype hope to beat UConn. They lose by 25. This year UConn wins by 12 and people think hey SC has a shot except that the UConn team that played today is not the same UConn team as even that short time ago. I'm thinking that the UConn team that played today would have beaten SC by at least 25.

Probably.. but SC just lost to Syracuse, so no worries there. You should be looking out for Baylor because SC is long gone, so gone in fact that the team JUST arrived back in Columbia.

You have an exciting game with Baylor ahead of you.

toadfoot

To live will be an awfully big adventure.
Reaction Score
As I've said on a few occasions this year... the SEC was more about parity than quality. The fact that UConn could absolutely demolish, not handily defeat, but humiliate, the 2nd best SEC team is very telling.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Probably.. but SC just lost to Syracuse, so no worries there. You should be looking out for Baylor because SC is long gone, so gone in fact that the team JUST arrived back in Columbia.

If yesterday's upsets taught us anything, it is the folly of looking ahead. If both teams win out through Monday, we'll have a long several days to get excited about that.

Reaction Score

Lol oh I'm not worried. Relax. It's only a game and I'm only a fan. But the thread is certainly a valid discussion especially with how SC looked last night and Miss St. looked today.

toadfoot

Reaction Score

1. Baylor will have to play their A+ game and UConn will have to have an 'off' night.
2. Baylor hasn't gotten to the elite 8 yet, never mind the FF.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
I knew that UConn is playing a phenomenal game so far. But I have to ask again, was the S EC overrated of the season? I can't wait to hear what Fortner it and/or Peck have to say about this.
I, for one, can wait a very long time to hear what Fortner or Peck have to say regarding the SEC. The next new, objective thought regarding this topic that leaves their lips will be the first.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Alternate thread titles:
1) If someone is overrated, someone else must be underrated. So what/who are all these underrated conferences/teams?
2) Is it possible for the BY to not be obsessed with the SEC? (apparently, no.)

You took the thought right out of my head with #1.

toadfoot

Reaction Score
Alternate thread titles:
1) If someone is overrated, someone else must be underrated. So what/who are all these underrated conferences/teams?
2) Is it possible for the BY to not be obsessed with the SEC? (apparently, no.)

Obsessed! No, not obsessed, but certainly irritated by the incessant BS spouted by some in the media associated with the SEC, as well as some SEC fans.

Fact 1. The head to head matchup this year AAC vs SEC now stands at 7-7, despite a substantial home court advantage to the SEC.
Fact 2. UConn had 3 60+ point wins this year, 64 and 60 against the AAC's 6th place Tulsa and 60 today against the #2 SEC team.

I think everyone acknowledges that the AAC is not where it needs to be, but what do facts 1 & 2 say about the SEC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom