Is PP a CEO type coach? | The Boneyard

Is PP a CEO type coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
They just brought this topic up on ESPNU the Experts show. They were saying the days of the CEO type coach such as JoePa, Bobby Bowden and Mack Brown are dead. They go on to say these administrator/figurehead type guys let their offensive and defensive coordinators do everything. All I could think of is PP sitting back not getting involved or engaged when he sees GDLs offensive scheme falling apart every game. They were saying these new head coaches are becoming a lot more engaged with what's going on with their coordinators and making adjustments on the fly. PP has a hard enough time dealing with the clock and timeouts never mind making adjustments on the fly during the game especially with the inept GDL. If this is the case then we truly are screwed as UConn football fans with these two stubborn dinosaur coaches. Hopefully Warde sees this and isn't afraid to make a move at the end of this season. I think these 2 need to be canned together, not one at a time.

Reaction Score
ESPN experts? really?

Our problem is simple. We can't block for on offense. There's nothing else wrong with this program right now, fix that, for 60 minutes, and we are a powerful team. Everything else all of us are finding is minutiae and looking for where and whom to blame.

pj

Reaction Score
I don't see why such a coaching type would be dead. No one is good at everything and there are many other tasks for a head coach to excel at. You do however have to be good at hiring top coordinators if that's your style. You have to provide strategic guidance. You have to coordinate their style with the staff's recruiting strategy and with practice and conditioning approaches. When they're failing you have to be able to intervene to tweak and guide their performance to help them succeed. You have to be a teacher and mentor of coaching. Management is an intimate, involved function. When they're an unqualified success you can leave them to their devices and focus elsewhere, but when they're struggling, you have to be engaged.

Reaction Score
ESPN experts? really?

Our problem is simple. We can't block for on offense. There's nothing else wrong with this program right now, fix that, for 60 minutes, and we are a powerful team. Everything else all of us are finding is minutiae and looking for where and whom to blame.

Number 1 problem as confirmed again as I watch the SNY Encore (Well, that and a critical off the hands miss by a WR on a crucial 3rd down). I'm very surprised that CW survived the hits he took Saturday.

Reaction Score
I'm a firm believer, that football, is a sport, where strategy, play calling systems are way overrated. You get your system, and you go. Some systems are more complex and require more thinking than others. I watched the entire Temple game again, play by play. I'll reserve my judgments for the rest of the season on players and coaches. There are too many people around here, that cannot differentiate between a critique of performance, and personal attacks, opinions on people, stuff like that. I'm sick of the complaining and negative energy, and I confess, I fell into it myself. It's so easy.

I think what they need is to get into practice, and challenge themselves, to perform to the very limits of their capability, and get into each other's faces. There were many times, when in the Edsall era, I wished I could be a fly on the wall in the practice facility, and watch what's happening. See who's in the middle of things, really mixing it up. See who's out there really pressing buttons on teh field, and making things happen.

There are always leaders and followers, at all levels of everything. One of my biggest problems in teh past with Edsall, was that he seemed to wait too long for leaders to emerge on his teams, and we lost early season games. It seems the current coaching staff, which in retrospect, shouldn't surprise me, expects the exact same thing for the players in this program.

Part of a football education, is learning to become a leader, if that's a strength, you have, to be a workhorse, whatever, to find what you're good at within a very large organization, and excel to the best you can be at it.

There are other programs, other coaches, that lead by example. We just had one on the field in Addazio. THis is a guy that is going to take the responsiblity, week in and week out, to set the tone, to be the leader.

The critical thing, that's most important, and I had the same criticism of Edsall, a little over 3 years ago, when I came on this board, is that you have to balance winning with the rest of it at this level of football, with what we want to achieve. The coach needs to be able to assume that responsibility of being the leader to set the tone of how things are going to be on the field, if the players aren't coming along fast enough, otherwise you lose games, you should win.

it's a tough criticism to make, because you're balancing the principlies of education and development, with winning at all cost.

I think we're going to finish out this season strong, not sure how strong, but the players we have, that are going to develop into leaders, will do so.

And I don't think our cupboards are going to be bare at all in coming years, when I look at this roster.

What we have to do, is get players on teh practice fields, really in each other's faces, offensive vs. defensive, and demanding that the offense frigging block for entire game.

Reaction Score
Number 1 problem as confirmed again as I watch the SNY Encore (Well, that and a critical off the hands miss by a WR on a crucial 3rd down). I'm very surprised that CW survived the hits he took Saturday.

That kids toughness showed up to me vs. NC State. He took a hit that he's probably still feeling in his ribs, a lot more now after getting planted against Temple early. Our linemen need to get the lead out of their shoes.

Reaction Score
ESPN experts? really?

Give foley the O-Line position back and I think we'll be fine!

Reaction Score
One thing we've learned this year is CW is tough as he has really been rocked and he bounces right back up. The lead in the feet thing is right on. Sometimes we don't get a good punch on rushers from the blockers, they just can't line them up. Didn't realize we had burned Samras red shirt so why he can't get some reps is surprising as he might be a bit quicker afoot.

Reaction Score
Bobby Bowden? Mack Brown? Bring in either one of those guys and UConn is in the Top 25 with two seasons. Paul Pasqualoni is not even in the same hemisphere as those two. At their age, they could still run a big time program. At PP's age . . . there was a reason he was fired at Syracuse and a reason was stuck as an assistant in the NFL.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

He didn't. He staggered off the field like a drunkard after one hit.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
He's the type of CEO that lowers the value of your company by half and calls it progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom