Is it too soon to talk about the last game? | The Boneyard

Is it too soon to talk about the last game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Noon game at Gampel, Saturday March 9th. I'd like to pack Gampel and have everyone in their seats until the final buzzer and, win or lose, give this team a standing ovation. They deserve it. They stayed when others left. They played their hearts out on the court and succeeded academically off the court. By any measure they exceeded expectations. The coaching staff has done a great job and the kids have shown character and heart well beyond their years. They deserve our thanks.

If everyone is on board, I'd like to reach out to the local reports, yeah even Jeff Jacobs. I think they may well be on board as it is incredibly hard to find fault with what these young men have achieved. Anyone have connections with any of the horde or the athletic department? It would be great to see a collective effort to make this happen. It is a nice statement by the university community that we are behind our team.

Reaction Score
Well, this all sounds great but yesterday people were walking out while Boatright was taking his freethrows at the end of reg and about 6k were there when OT started. Fans were great with support throughout the second half, then just peaced. I guess it's somewhat understandable with the Super Bowl.

I had hopes for the final football game with bowl eligibility on the line and being senior day for many great players. But...yeah.

Also, again yesterday the student section was about 80 percent full, the upper corners were very sparse, some were sitting. The section above the opposite basket reminded me of a UHart student section. Early in my college years (really not that long ago) kids would have killed for seats to any game. It may sound like I'm a cranky old man but I'm 25.

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
Kids in the student section weren't even paying attention near the end of the first half. It's really annoying when you're one of the only people standing and cheering.

Reaction Score
Kids in the student section weren't even paying attention near the end of the first half. It's really annoying when you're one of the only people standing and cheering.
There was a row of quite ehem...urban looking students who had their legs spread out across 4 rows who may not have ever looked up from their phone.

A lot of people probably think the kid stands front center every game and initiates the cheers is annoying, but god bless him that group would be clueless without him.

Reaction Score
Get rid of the student ticket lotto and people who actually live for UConn basketball will be there screaming the entire game instead of tweeting the whole time and leaving with 10 minutes to go in the game

CL82

Reaction Score
All valid complaints, but instead of complaining about the past, let's make it happen this one time. Who knows, maybe it will start a trend.

Anyone have any ideas how to get this message out to those who do not read this board?

Reaction Score
Also, maybe if games worth half of a were actually played at gampel, the student section would be more intense....since the XL center is 45 minutes from Storrs and most kids don't have cars. Kids aren't exactly losing their minds at an AIC or Harvard game. G-Town should be live though. Can't wait

Reaction Score
All valid complaints, but instead of complaining about the past, let's make it happen this one time. Who knows, maybe it will start a trend.

Anyone have any ideas how to get this message out to those who do not read this board?
Email Herbst maybe

CL82

Reaction Score
Also, maybe if games worth half of a were actually played at gampel, the student section would be more intense....since the XL center is 45 minutes from Storrs and most kids don't have cars. Kids aren't exactly losing their minds at an AIC or Harvard game. G-Town should be live though. Can't wait
Check your inbox.

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
Buses are easier than driving imo and its only 4 bucks for a ticket. Hartford games shouldn't be so dead, but they are.

Reaction Score
Buses are easier than driving imo and its only 4 bucks for a ticket. Hartford games shouldn't be so dead, but they are.

The XL center is just a bad place to see a game lol....

Anyways though, back on track with this standing ovation thing. I would contact either Warde or Herbst with your ideas.

Reaction Score
Actually the crowd at the Harvard game was pretty good. Both parts of the student section were packed when I came in about 15 minutes before game time. Yesterday it was so weird, the only empty seats for the most part were students, upper bowl was packed and aside from the USF section there were only a few open seats downlow. The first two weeks of classes that intense they can't get away for 2 hours?

Never thought I'd see the day people were questioning the passion of UConn students for basketball but here we are.

Reaction Score
Yes harvard was a great game. (I have season tickets for gampel) but that was kind of my point. If the place is rocking for a harvard game, we're not in terrible shape.

Anyways, I feel like this thread is losing focus on the final game. There definitely should be some sort of ceremony to show our appreciation to one of the most important teams in the school's history. Please post ideas here

Reaction Score
I'd like to see the whole team have a spot on the "Wall of Honor." Unveil it before the game. I think Penn State did something similar for their football team. Have something in the arena to always recognize these kids considering they won't have a chance to up any other banners.

Let's not forget it's RJ's senior day!

CL82

Reaction Score
I'd like to see the whole team have a spot on the "Wall of Honor." Unveil it before the game. I think Penn State did something similar for their football team. Have something in the arena to always recognize these kids considering they won't have a chance to up any other banners.

Let's not forget it's RJ's senior day!
Maybe not... but a standing O is appropriate and doable. This thread is pretty well hijacked. I'll give it another shot in a week or so.

Reaction Score
When I watch old games on ESPN U or SNY, or even old NFL football games from the 1980s, 2 things are easy to spot immediately:

1. There used to be a lot more intense fans in the expensive seats with people even wearing white-out shirts and being color coordinated (clearly, the more expensive seats have brought a different kind of fan).

2. Everyone used to be a lot thinner many years ago. Check out this video of a Patriot game from 1990. Check out the shots of the crowd at 3:30 to 4:00. It looks quaint. Things have really changed.

Reaction Score
There was a row of quite ehem...urban looking students who had their legs spread out across 4 rows who may not have ever looked up from their phone.

A lot of people probably think the kid stands front center every game and initiates the cheers is annoying, but god bless him that group would be clueless without him.
"Urban"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01