Is it just me? | The Boneyard

Is it just me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Like all of you, I love the women's college game, and, of course, I love Husky women's BB in particular. Unlike many of you, I harbor no similar passion for the pro game, the existence of which I greet with general disinterest. It seems to me that the elements of the college game, in particular, those features that stress "team" concepts, hustle, and aggressive defense permit the rise to stardom of certain players of lesser natural talent than others, but without whose contribution the achievement of championship seasons would be much more difficult if not downright unlikely. Further, because none of us has any choice in the matter, I accept the reality that goes with appreciation of the college game, that graduation will ultimately claim some of our favorite players.

We fans of the UConn women are extraordinarily blessed....and spoiled. We can realistically anticipate the upcoming season with discussion, within the bounds of sanity, of yet another possible undefeated record, and, let's be honest, there isn't one among us who wouldn't be at least mildly shocked if we don't bring home another national championship. If and when that happy contingency occurs, I will be cheering as ardently as anyone...but I'm just asking: Am I the only one who approaches this particular year finding it somewhat more difficult to be fully charged with anticipation knowing that Kelly Faris will not be out on the floor?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
..but I'm just asking: Am I the only one who approaches this particular year finding it somewhat more difficult to be fully charged with anticipation knowing that Kelly Faris will not be out on the floor?
You might be the only one. I'm sure not. DT left, Maya left, Bird left, Charles left, etc. etc. etc. UCONN keeps on going. Every year brings a new adventure for us fans. New people to get to know (ok only 1 new one this year.....well there could be walk-ons), growth to see in players, another NC to win, a whole new conference to dominate . Like Old Blue, it.. looks... Glorious.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
You might be the only one. I'm sure not. DT left, Maya left, Bird left, Charles left, etc. etc. etc. UCONN keeps on going. Every year brings a new adventure for us fans. New people to get to know (ok only 1 new one this year.....well there could be walk-ons), growth to see in players, another NC to win, a whole new conference to dominate . Like Old Blue, it.. looks... Glorious.

"You're my boy meyers..." great Old School reference... agree every year there is a piece missing that gets replaced w/ players stepping up, new kids, new conference w/ two games in Florida (yay!!), defending the NC...... Glorious..!!

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Some of us are already deeply embedded in the formation of Cloud 9, which Kelly helped to set up, and she would want the team's fans to carry on even if she has been carried off by that dread disease called graduation that ultimately affects everyone not named Bluto. The past is grand, the present is peachy, and the future is glorious.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
To the extent, Bigtuna, that your topic implies that you found Kelly Faris an inspiration because she elevated her play beyond her natural capabilities I have to demur ( a polite legal term for Hell No) and file this demurrer. As no lesser authority than Geno Auriema has observed many times, Kelly Faris is a a magnificent athlete with great abilities she has honed through dedicated work. In the Nat'l Championship game Kelly showed us an added dollop of her offensive capabilities and I am a little POed at her for not having strutted that stuff more often in her career as it may have added a Nat'l Championship or two to the trophy case.

As far as the WNBA goes, I am glad it is there as an incentive to collegiate excellence and I do enjoy following our CT alums, but beyond that not so much. Too short a season, too many line up changes.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Really enjoyable OP - I do think there is something particularly exciting about college sports and being a fan of same that is not present in any pro sport. And with the women's sports and the 'lesser' men's sports you get to watch the full progression through four years. With MCBB particularly where teams rent their stars for one or at most two years I really miss that progression. And I think the fact that you seldom have teams composed of all professional caliber players is great. Loved watching CD even after it was clear that she would never play in the WNBA, loved watching Maria providing exactly what was needed for two NCs her last two years even though she never had the athletic ability to really succeed beyond college. And I love watching a player like Stef come in with limited hype and through her commitment and the coaching become part of the conversation as the best center her senior year, or a player like Tina who came in with all the hype but struggle with the expectations until the light finally came on for her.
And while I miss everyone of the players that graduate, that is part of the process of renewal that makes each new year an exciting new experience.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
I will miss the dour Kelly and her production. She was such a terrific professional, from day one. But I'm really looking forward to seeing Chong develop, and to seeing what will be up with the sophomore class...then what will Kiah do? Lots of hopes and unknowns, so I'm really up on this year. And being a native Syracusan, I Stewie has a special spin for me...I had dinner this summer with someone who knew her in highschool and said her fingertips hung below her knees. She was a marvel in high school.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom