Is ISU the first team we played so far that is "better" on paper? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Is ISU the first team we played so far that is "better" on paper?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Another factor I haven't seen mentioned here...we are playing in MSG. This will be like a home game for us. Let's not discount that. It will be huge factor. Also, has anyone on this Iowa St. team every played in the Garden before? It's not like it is just "another arena."

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I can't believe how little respect our team's talent gets even from our own fan base. Reading some of the posts today, you would think we were going up against the Oklahoma City Thunder Friday night. For the millionth time we are not a one man team and we have good talent. I don't see where Iowa State has all this better talent and why most think they are the better team.

Yah. We just aren't that good in the post. But that shouldn't matter in this game. Not enough talk about Deandre Daniels. He's been an absolute monster from 3 lately.

This could be a game where he lights it up from outside, given the height advantage.

Reaction Score
We have Bazz and no one else does......period.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
We all know what we have. We should all respect what they have. Yes we have Bazz, but its not like they don't have guys that can take over a game. Ejim's 48 on TCU was probably the most dominant single game performance in college basketball this year. It wasn't just the points, its was the way he got them.

Reaction Score
Kane is going to be 25 on draft night. He's older than at least one 2008 NBA draftee.

I can't recall how old Carl Krauser was his last season, but I can't recall us playing anyone older than 25. That's a man.
How old was Krauser when he finally left Pitt. He had to be at least 35 or so it seems.

Reaction Score
IMO st joes would beat this ISU team. without GN. I'm dumbfounded how roy williams laid an egg, not forcing ISU into their 3rd or 4th option. just allowed kane to go wild.

Reaction Score
IMO st joes would beat this ISU team. without GN. I'm dumbfounded how roy williams laid an egg, not forcing ISU into their 3rd or 4th option. just allowed kane to go wild.

I love Marcus Paige's game... but he lost the game for them. It was either right before or right after the under-4-minute timeout. Carolina was up 8 with the ball.. Paige took a really quick 3 in transition and he missed (it was a heat check bc he had just made one). They didn't do a good job of getting back (although I really blame Paige more for taking that shot bc nobody was prepared for it). ISU got the rebound, transitioned quick and found Long in the corner for a 3. Instead of working the clock with a chance to go up 10, UNC was only up 5. They lost Long 3 different times down the stretch and he didn't miss. And Kane made them pay for not stepping on their throat when they had the chance.

Reaction Score
I can't believe how little respect our team's talent gets even from our own fan base. Reading some of the posts today, you would think we were going up against the Oklahoma City Thunder Friday night. For the millionth time we are not a one man team and we have good talent. I don't see where Iowa State has all this better talent and why most think they are the better team.

Agree. ISU is a good team as are the Huskies. If both teams play very well we will win (MSG). If we do not play very well and ISU does we will be in trouble. Same in reverse for ISU.

caw

Reaction Score
They are a mediocre defensive team but a great offensive team. UConn is a good offensive team but a fantastic defensive team. Their bigs may draw ours out but they also have to defend Giffey and Daniels outside (who are near 50% 3PT shooters. If it ends up with the man Brimah is defending taking a bunch of threes, well I like UConns chances a lot more than Kane taking them or them spreading it around.

It's going to be a tough game for both teams. Not sure they have the foot speed to stay in front of Napier and Boat or the discipline to stay on Daniels and Giffey for full possessions.

Reaction Score
This is my take on the game. Uconn is very good at the free throw line and Bazz is a nightmare in close games because hes not afraid of the moment and can go off (just ask Nova) for 10 straight points by himself in a minute. If your going to beat us it has to be a wide margin. Being ahead of us with 2 minutes or less and less than 5 points is playing with fire. If were up and you put us at the line hoping we miss a few your in trouble. I dont see ISU,MSU or VU as teams that we cant play close so i feel good about our chances.

pj

Reaction Score
I like our chances. The keys for us are rebounding and transition defense, if we can hold our own in those areas we will win, we have better shooters, Brimah's height will be a big advantage around the basket and Boat and Bazz will be able to break down their defense.

Their big advantage is strength and that has bothered us in the past, but only from teams that play strong defense like Louisville or Cincinnati. Iowa State is a little loose on defense, they gave UNC plenty of open looks and I think we'll get our share too.

Iowa State has to dominate the boards and get fast break points to win. If they defensive rebound they can get breaks and if they offensive rebound they can get fouls.

It will be an even match but I think we pull it out.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Good thing basketball isn't played on paper but wood....Remember the Husky teams like Ray's team that had Donyell Marshall and the Marcus Williams team that had nearly all NBA players that didn't win? It's the intangibles and a lot of luck.

Reaction Score
Here's my take on the game, "Thank God its ISU and not UNC."

i have way bad memories when UConn plays UNC, way bad.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score

If I knew we were guaranteed to win, I'd rather beat UNC because they are hoops royalty and playing them on national TV and beating them would help with recruiting in the South etc. Beating Iowa St. doesn't have this type of benefit. Since I can't predict the future though, I'm glad it's Iowa State because their fans won't travel like UNC fans do.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score

As opposed to Iowa State which is nothing but rainbows and butterflies :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom