Not open for further replies.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
Or is she more like a fallen souffle?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
TN is very busy managing that other crisis (Title IX) lawsuit. They had a news conference featuring ALL TN coaches saying the university does not have an issue. Would be a bad look to fire one of the female coaches at this time.

Reaction Score
For those of you who don't visit VolNation, one of the TN fan boards, it's an eye-opener. As challenging as we may perceive some of our fellow Boneyarders, anything goes down there. If we posted some of the things they post, the posts would be removed and we'd get our knuckles whacked post haste. Hats off to our mods, I wouldn't want it any other way.

Anyway, after that prelude, for some time now this year, they have been all over their Coach, Holly. It hasn't been very nice, and that's a huge understatement. Also, they have been suggesting a plethora of possible coaches to replace her. Every respectable wbb coach and assistant coach in the country has been included in their list except for anyone from UConn of course. We are the lowest of the low.

Well things must have gone from bad to worse. They currently have a thread, pertaining to and gleefully discussing, which coach on the UConn staff would be available and best as a replacement coach for their beloved Lady Vols. Geno isn't getting much respect, but CD, Shea, and Marissa definitely are. After all, they surmise, CD, Shea, and Marissa did learn their craft under Geno's tutelage, and even though Geno is a scoundrel [my word] they have now concluded, and are willing to admit, that he must be doing something right.

Further, we, the Boneyard, have made an appearance as well. One fan suggests that they would love to get one of the UConn coaches because; "wouldn't that just eat those crabby patty boneyarders cake?"

So, I guess my message here is that it is imperative that we clean up our act, and stop being such "crabby pattys."

Stay calm and carry on! :) :D :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
TN Nation has the same arrogance/nastiness that they had when they had a good WBB team. So it's really bad to act that way when their team stinks! I wish the bosses would reward Holly with a 20 year contract.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Paul Finebaum this week on his show is indicating the Holly will be fired. Some say he knows what he's talking about and other say he's full of BS.

IMHO it will depend on what happens in the SEC and NCAA Tournament. Make it to the finals of the SEC and/or lose to only So Carolina and then win both games on the 1st weekend of the NCAA tournament Holly will be safe for another year. Lose in the 1st round of the NCAA tournament and to a team not named So Carolina in the SEC tournament she'll be gone.

Some knowledgeable Lady Vol fans have said they have a great chance of signing a couple of the ELITE players in 2017 and 2018 Recruiting Classes. If that is in fact a strong probability then that could give Holly more life.

Being Pat's protege does give her more lives. Has she used up one of them this year? I would think so.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
TN Nation has the same arrogance/nastiness that they had when they had a good WBB team. So it's really bad to act that way when their team stinks! I wish the bosses would reward Holly with a 20 year contract.
I have actually found some enjoyable discussions on the VolNation board and have been surprised at how much positive about uconn and even Geno does get posted - a lot of nasty as well, but nothing like the other site before it went PPV.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
The AD doesn't care about much of any of the women's sports. He won't want to buy out Holly's contract that she just signed last year.

Reaction Score
For those of you who don't visit VolNation, one of the TN fan boards, it's an eye-opener. As challenging as we may perceive some of our fellow Boneyarders, anything goes down there. If we posted some of the things they post, the posts would be removed and we'd get our knuckles whacked post haste. Hats off to our mods, I wouldn't want it any other way.

Anyway, after that prelude, for some time now this year, they have been all over their Coach, Holly. It hasn't been very nice, and that's a huge understatement. Also, they have been suggesting a plethora of possible coaches to replace her. Every respectable wbb coach and assistant coach in the country has been included in their list except for anyone from UConn of course. We are the lowest of the low.

Well things must have gone from bad to worse. They currently have a thread, pertaining to and gleefully discussing, which coach on the UConn staff would be available and best as a replacement coach for their beloved Lady Vols. Geno isn't getting much respect, but CD, Shea, and Marissa definitely are. After all, they surmise, CD, Shea, and Marissa did learn their craft under Geno's tutelage, and even though Geno is a scoundrel [my word] they have now concluded, and are willing to admit, that he must be doing something right.

Further, we, the Boneyard, have made an appearance as well. One fan suggests that they would love to get one of the UConn coaches because; "wouldn't that just eat those crabby patty boneyarders cake?"

So, I guess my message here is that it is imperative that we clean up our act, and stop being such "crabby pattys."

As a Marylander, I vigorously object to the clearly discriminatory term "crabby pattys." (Note: "patties" is correct but still offensive.) We here in the "Old Line State," are justly proud of our crab cakes. Our crab cakes, for example, have less fillers than those in any other state. We are more "full of it." We are ALL crab and proud of it. We summon to our defense no less than a Turtle. Not a Beaver or a Duck (sissy Oregonians), but a Terrapin. My advice to Vol Nation: Don't tread on "patties," especially cow patties. There, now I feel better.

Reaction Score
Or is she more like a fallen souffle?
No, she will not be fired. She just got an contract extension. One loosing season, even to a former premier team, should not warrant the loss of a head coaching job. Now, two consecutive loosing seasons while getting no recruits would seem to be the kiss of death.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score

I'm sorry, but while reading a post on the LadyVol forum a few weeks ago I did see a few posters ruminate on the the possibility of Shea becoming their next. One post I believe said that not only would she be a good fit but she would be "easy on the eyes".

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I'm sorry, but while reading a post on the LadyVol forum a few weeks ago I did see a few posters ruminate on the the possibility of Shea becoming their next. One post I believe said that not only would she be a good fit but she would be "easy on the eyes".

That's what one poster said. Some on Vol Nation would support Shea becoming head coach. Not sure Shea would be interested.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
And yes, on their forum I've seen many posts that claim their AD both cares little for women's sports and would find eating that contract money unpalatable. I too have seen many positive and or neutral sounding posts related to UConn. It seems here in the Boneyard and there in the Volunteer State there are people finally willing to move away from the past and embrace a future that is healthier for WBB. I still say a series of NCAA finals where UConn plays (re: Crushes) UT would help advance what is an ailing sport in this country.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
That's what one poster said. Some on Vol Nation would support Shea becoming head coach. Not sure Shea would be interested.

Any insight on the views of The Summitt? I would imagine though that sharing of The Summitt information would be cause for dismissal. And, is The Summitt thinking of changing its name to The Valley?

Reaction Score

Tennessee is stuck with the Jeb! of WCBB coaches. Also surprising that they regard CD as merely the assistant who holds Geno back from the refs, and there's a reason she's never been offered a head coaching position. I imagine CD about as opposite as you can get from Warlick. Anyone think UConn is where it is today without CD?

Reaction Score
Three more years at $650,000 is a tough amount to swallow to fire someone. The Volnation doesn't think Hart will do anything about Warlick.
There's a simple solution to that. Some well-healed boosters just need to step up and fork over the cash to buy her out. Then hire a woman to replace her and there shouldn't be any discrimination concerns.

Reaction Score
Yes, Holly Warlick is toast.
Fortunately, her contract extends to the 2018-2019 season and we will have the pleasure of watching the Lady Vol fans munch it until then.

Reaction Score
In response to the thread title "Is Holly Toast" ?? I am not so sure.....

1. She just got extended last summer..... so her contract goes for a few more years....
2. AD not definitively behind WCBB...purportedly a football guy
3. Title IX mess at Tenn.... could preclude administration making a move for public relations; sake
4. She was, after all, Pat's call. How much influence does Pat have still.....
5. At 600K, she is not that costly
6. Does Tenn actually know there is a problem? (If there bar has been lowered, and the goal is to "compete in the SEC", then there may not be a problem)

Those are some possibilities..... as for #6, yes I know it is unlikely, but I could see right from the start that Tenn looked disheveled with respect to any system or process, particularly on offense..... why can't Tenn see the same, .... when anyone who knows anything about basketball or running an offense can plainly see things clearly..... it is often cited... the definition of insanity..... but it seems the LVs do this..... defense and rebounding... little focus on offense..... get it to your star and let them create a play.....

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I think Shea would jump at the Tennessee HC job if it were offered, and I think it would be a good thing for her and for Tennessee. Shea wants to be a head coach, and she probably recognizes that even if Geno retires in less than a decade, having successful HC experience on her resume would make her a much stronger candidate to succeed him than just being his assistant for a long time.

It would probably be controversial, but I think most LV fans would give welcome her and pray for her success. She might be on a short leash if success on the court doesn't come quickly. But with the fan support, the facilities, and the remaining talent on the team, she should have a very good chance for success -- far better than the odds for other former UConn assistants who have gone to places like Cincinnati or Hartford (or even Temple).

The biggest question is whether hiring Shea as Tennessee head coach would quiet the diehard UConn fans here on the Boneyard who are unalterably opposed to a resumption of the UConn-Tennessee annual regular season game. Surely (one hopes) they will recognize that from a political standpoint, the last thing Shea could do early in her tenure at Rocky Top is to offer an apology to her former employer and former player (and her mother) for something that happened 10 years ago in which she was not involved. But they may not be calm enough to recognize that, and will continue to hold out.

Reaction Score
At the end of the day I suspect most of us fans (UCONN AND TN) are just fans. I've met LV fans at the final four and they were good people, not just Huskie Haters. We all want our team to win. I'll bet most of them would love to have Shea coach their beloved team!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom