Irish fan on why UConn belongs in the ACC | Page 30 | The Boneyard

Irish fan on why UConn belongs in the ACC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think the Big Ten is the best solution in terms of stability and where UConn wants to go as a university. But, I certainly wouldn't advocate turning down any P5 offer. I will say this, accepting an ACC offer would ratchet up our rivalries with both old and new foes, because I would relish kicking the crap out of some of these schools based upon what has transpired over the past two years. . .

Edit: Payback's a be-atch.

Reaction Score
Maybe BC fades into " obscurity". in football in the future, and then again, maybe it won't. BC went to a Bowl Game last year while it was in transition under its its new 1st year head football coach.. and was even with eventual football National Champion FSU into the 4th quarter before FSU ultimately prevailed., and had its RB make the Heisman Finalist selection round for the national TV telecast Awards in NYC... and its 2013 football recruiting from all reports is up over anything seen from its last 5 years. So I'm quite not sure how you arrive at your assessment that BC football is " fading into obscurity". Thats an overblown assessment that has your hate clouding your thinking perhaps ,... but then again, everyone of course is entitled to their own assessments on what they observe as well.

Agree - BC will be fine long term. The AD looks to be very solid and the new football coach has assembled a staff that can clearly win and recruit. It's funny to hear UCONN fans with their revenge fantasy scenarios especially after their football season last year.

Reaction Score
I certainly wouldn't advocate turning down any P5 offer.

quote]
Yes, I can't understand Uconn ( or any P5 fanbase for that matter ) needing to be " cautious " or " need convincing " if the ACC provides an invite to them. If I was unmarried, and some wealthy and beautiful young women finds me " attractive ". I don't need to ask " why ", nor need to have anyc ompelling need to ask "why ". I immediately say : " take me.. I'm all yours ".

Reaction Score
Agree - BC will be fine long term. The AD looks to be very solid and the new football coach has assembled a staff that can clearly win and recruit. It's funny to hear UCONN fans with their revenge fantasy scenarios especially after their football season last year.

Ease up Man.. they are in transition in football too.
Although a case could be made that Hathaway's hiring of Syracuse retread Pasqualoni did more damage to UConn football than anything ND, BC, Pitt, Louisville, Syracuse did to UConn football and its chances to get to a P5 Conference. What the hell was Uconn thinking hiring a guy that was already way over the hill and had already been canned by Syracuse ? PP was even worse as a hire than BC moving Spaziani up from Def. Coord. to Head Coach a couple of years back.

Reaction Score

Just because I wouldn't turn down a P5 offer, doesn't mean there wouldn't be some level of trepidation. It's like having someone want to be your "buddy" after they've been bad mouthing you behind your back for the last couple of years.

Reaction Score
not really SC Nebraska only lost it(AAU) after being in the B1G about 11 monthes IIR? UMich voted with 1 or 2 other B1G schools nay on UN even though they were now conference brothers i think?

Yes really, Nicky. The B1G knew Nebraska was losing its AAU status before they would be joining the league, and, they still voted them in.

If memory serves, it was Michigan and Wisconsin who were most against them being admitted once the news that they were losing their AAU status came out.

Reaction Score
Before Nebraska was added to the B1G, Michigan and Nebraska were at work rigging their ouster from the AAU.

I believe it was Michigan and Wisconsin who wanted to boot Nebraska for losing their AAU status.

Reaction Score
I believe it was Michigan and Wisconsin who wanted to boot Nebraska for losing their AAU status.

While it has been widely speculated on the Interwebs that Michigan and Wisconsin played a part, I don't think we have any hard information regarding Nebraska's AAU membership and who was against it. That said, it does seem to be quite plausible that Michigan and Wisconsin favored the enforcement of stricter criteria.

In any case, to then say that Michigan and Wisconsin wanted Nebraska out of the Big Ten... I think that's a bridge too far. I would like to see any hard (or soft) evidence of that.

Reaction Score
While it has been widely speculated on the Interwebs that Michigan and Wisconsin played a part, I don't think we have any hard information regarding Nebraska's AAU membership and who was against it. That said, it does seem to be quite plausible that Michigan and Wisconsin favored the enforcement of stricter criteria.

In any case, to then say that Michigan and Wisconsin wanted Nebraska out of the Big Ten... I think that's a bridge too far. I would like to see any hard (or soft) evidence of that.

You are correct, and, I had my stories crossed. Actually, it was UM and Wiscy who voted to oust Nebraska from the AAU, not the B1G.

http://journalstar.com/news/local/e...cle_19188dda-afe7-57c8-aa2c-c1939ec5acb4.html

Reaction Score

The ex-PSU president Graham Spanier wrote emails about the AAU strategy to the Nebraska Pres. long before Nebraska was added. As the ex-Pres. of Nebraska himself, Spanier was a critic of the moves Michigan and Wisky were making. Spanier had backup from the Northwestern Pres.

The emails, recovered through a FOIA request, showed that a committee with Michigan chairing it and Wisky as the second ranking member convened to toss out Nebraska and two others, but when Michigan realized it didn't have the votes to do so, it then dissolved the committee and then worked to reconstitute it in 9 months with enough members to oust Nebraska. And that's what happened, but this occurred shortly after Nebraska was added. If Michigan allowed the vote to be taken in the prior year, Nebraska would not have been ousted from the AAU.

The old Pres. of Wisky (now Pres. of Amherst College) was interviewed about the addition of Nebraska to the B1G, and though she said glowing things about them, she also stated that the membership of Nebraska in the AAU didn't come up once for consideration when admitting NU into the B1G (which makes sense, when you think about it).

Reaction Score
okay but its pretty tough to get UCLA ooc.

Happy Easter Huskies.

UCLA comes to Charlottesville on August 30. Unfortunately, I'm worried that we don't have a team to stay on the field with them and will embarrass ourselves again just like with Oregon last season. Our AD needs to make sure we have a football team to compete before scheduling opponents like this. And we are not supposed to be in the PAC 12 Conference. It is driving UVA fans crazy.

Reaction Score
There are certainly parallels. You've asserted that the Big Ten took action to shut out ND and undermine its growth in terms of stature and revenue. Many view ACC past actions as well as the P5 power grab as having the same impact.

I don't see anyone in the ACC trying to organize boycotting of UConn in scheduling like what happened to Notre Dame in the midwest. I think UVA and UConn have an upcoming football series. Don't create conspiracies that aren't real. There have been reports and posts here about Syracuse and Boston College wanting a recruiting advantage, but the ACC has 15 members, not just 2. There is no conspiracy against UConn.

Reaction Score
I don't see anyone in the ACC trying to organize boycotting of UConn in scheduling like what happened to Notre Dame in the midwest. I think UVA and UConn have an upcoming football series. Don't create conspiracies that aren't real. There have been reports and posts here about Syracuse and Boston College wanting a recruiting advantage, but the ACC has 15 members, not just 2. There is no conspiracy against UConn.

Historical specifics aside, one only has to look at comments from BC's former athletic director that detailed his efforts to lobby against UConn to know tangible actions have taken place. Your example of the UConn/UVA series, which was in the works prior to the latest round of CR and P5 efforts to separate, doesn't hold water. It's the only P5 game on UConn's schedule through 2016. Real enough? In any event, the main point flew right over your head, unless you think being shut out of P5 revenue, bowls and scheduling is an advantage. Based upon your response, it's possible you just might.

Reaction Score
I don't see anyone in the ACC trying to organize boycotting of UConn in scheduling like what happened to Notre Dame in the midwest.

No general boycott ever happened.

If we're talking about Michigan, Michigan also quit the Big Ten for 10 years. Somehow that never got conveniently categorized as a "boycott".

Reaction Score
No general boycott ever happened.

If we're talking about Michigan, Michigan also quit the Big Ten for 10 years. Somehow that never got conveniently categorized as a "boycott".

I'm talking about Fielding Yost. He was the coach at Michigan. He played ND in football in 1909 and lost. He then dropped Notre Dame from the Michigan schedule, and after that he organized the rest of the Western Conference to also drop Notre Dame. It was not until 1917 that ND could get anyone in the Western Conference to play ND until Indiana and Purdue relented and ended the boycott. Fielding Yost never scheduled Notre Dame again, and he was at Michigan until 1940. From 1910 to 1977 Michigan and Notre Dame played exactly 2 football games.

To me this is a boycott. It may not be seen that way to some, but it sure looks like it to me.

Reaction Score
Historical specifics aside, one only has to look at comments from BC's former athletic director that detailed his efforts to lobby against UConn to know tangible actions have taken place. Your example of the UConn/UVA series, which was in the works prior to the latest round of CR and P5 efforts to separate, doesn't hold water. It's the only P5 game on UConn's schedule through 2016. Real enough? In any event, the main point flew right over your head, unless you think being shut out of P5 revenue, bowls and scheduling is an advantage. Based upon your response, it's possible you just might.

I don't think P5 schools are intentially not scheduling UConn. UConn played Michigan recently, and UVA will be. The UConn AD needs to work on adding some more if he wants to play more. The bowl thing is real. The traditional bowls want teams from the P5 that have a history of filling up bowl stadiums. But I see where several new bowls have been added to accomodate the growth in FBS level teams in the MAC, AAC, Sun Belt, and C-USA. New bowls are not a bad thing. The one in Charlotte is relatively young, and it's a fun one to go to.

Reaction Score
I'm talking about Fielding Yost. He was the coach at Michigan. He played ND in football in 1909 and lost. He then dropped Notre Dame from the Michigan schedule, and after that he organized the rest of the Western Conference to also drop Notre Dame.

He dropped them because back in the Wild West days he thought that Rockne imported some of his "student/athletes" from the south side of Chicago. So, yes, Yost and Rockne were probably not the best of pals.

Back to your point and my point, Michigan was not in the Big Ten from 1908-1916. So all that "organizing" going on after the 1909 loss... Michigan wasn't back in the conference until 1917. So I don't know how much "organizing" he realistically was likely doing given that he was mad at the conference about new scheduling rules, and the conference was likewise probably not very happy with him.

Reaction Score
I don't think P5 schools are intentially not scheduling UConn. UConn played Michigan recently, and UVA will be. The UConn AD needs to work on adding some more if he wants to play more. The bowl thing is real. The traditional bowls want teams from the P5 that have a history of filling up bowl stadiums. But I see where several new bowls have been added to accomodate the growth in FBS level teams in the MAC, AAC, Sun Belt, and C-USA. New bowls are not a bad thing. The one in Charlotte is relatively young, and it's a fun one to go to.

UConn will likely leverage recent success and add more P5 schools to the schedule, and may have added Illinois even though not formally on the schedule as of yet. I'll be sure pass along your recommendations to WM, especially the part about "needs to work on adding some more." But, you're missing the main point. What the ACC has done, and what the P5 conferences are attempting to do, has the potential to substantially disadvantage UConn. Considering our numerous championships, budgets, and academic trajectory, it's natural for some fans to harbor a level of resentment. You should have picked up on this by now.

Reaction Score
Just because I wouldn't turn down a P5 offer, doesn't mean there wouldn't be some level of trepidation. It's like having someone want to be your "buddy" after they've been bad mouthing you behind your back for the last couple of years.
While this is a pretty good analogy, to add more realism to the analogy, the people that surround you now as your new " buddies " ( in the AAC )may just as quickly in time be as bad, or even much much worse. You might find that, in general, the ACC football fans might have a higher regard for Uconn football right now than do the other football fans among the other schools in your new AAC football league. I don't knjow this for a fact, but just as something to consider thats all,, once the Cincy, Houston, SMU, Central Florida, South Florida, etc football fans start popping up to tell you what they think of Uconn football compared to themselves and whatnot. Under such a scenario, most Uconn football fans might not have to be " convinced " at all to take an ACC invite should it materialize, and won't give them any " trepidation " re. the invite at all. But who knows. Maybe Uconn football fans as you stated above will need lots of " convincing " on whether to accept an ACC, or stay in the AAC with their other new " buddies " and wait for a better offer in one of the other P5 Conferences. I don't think its the concern however for Uconn football fans that you think it will be, should an invite come.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The bigot Fielding Yost didn't have a problem playing the Catholics until we won a game. THEN he cancelled the game the night before the game and started the boycott.

Crisler tried to get the other BUG teams not to play ND either. The ban only ended because Michigan dropped off in importance as WW2 became smaller in the rear view mirror.

UCLA comes to Charlottesville on August 30. Unfortunately, I'm worried that we don't have a team to stay on the field with them and will embarrass ourselves again just like with Oregon last season. Our AD needs to make sure we have a football team to compete before scheduling opponents like this. And we are not supposed to be in the PAC 12 Conference. It is driving UVA fans crazy.

Didn't you just get some #1 position recruits? UVa football could become good at any moment. I think you will get some good press with ESPN pimping the ACC.

Reaction Score
While this is a pretty good analogy, to add more realism to the analogy, the people that surround you now as your new " buddies " ( in the AAC )may just as quickly in time be as bad, or even much much worse. You might find that, in general, the ACC football fans might have a higher regard for Uconn football right now than do the other football fans among the other schools in your new AAC football league. I don't knjow this for a fact, but just as something to consider thats all,, once the Cincy, Houston, SMU, Central Florida, South Florida, etc football fans start popping up to tell you what they think of Uconn football compared to themselves and whatnot. Under such a scenario, most Uconn football fans might not have to be " convinced " at all to take an ACC invite should it materialize, and won't give them any " trepidation " re. the invite at all. But who knows. Maybe Uconn football fans as you stated above will need lots of " convincing " on whether to accept an ACC, or stay in the AAC with their other new " buddies " and wait for a better offer in one of the other P5 Conferences. I don't think its the concern for Uconn football fans that you think it will be, should an invite come.

I made it pretty clear when I said: "I certainly wouldn't advocate turning down any P5 offer."

I'm not sure what you're talking about above. From my perspective, and in the absence of options, it is purely financial-driven (not buddy driven). I used the analogy to illustrate why some fans would still have some level of residual disdain for the ACC. However, virtually all fans recognize the advantages of being in a P5 conference and wouldn't need convincing. Once there, UConn will take care of the rest.

Reaction Score
I made it pretty clear when I said: "I certainly wouldn't advocate turning down any P5 offer."

I understand this, and never said that you'd support turning down a P5 Conference invite. I merely responded to the assessment you made above that ( your quote ) you'd " need convincing " to take the ACC invite should it ever come. I just don't think any convincing would be needed at all by Uconn football fans ( well, 95% anyway ). They'd take the ACC invite in a hesrtbeaat. More importantly as to how decisions are made, Uconn football officials wouldn't need " convincing ". They'd take the ACC invite before the ink was dry.... and who could possibly blame them for not needing to think about it or need any " convincing " and any of that silliness ?

Reaction Score
If UConn gets an invite to the ACC them I will be an ACC fan. Until then, screw 'em. .

This makes sense too. As CSNY song says:... " if you can't be, with the one you love, love the one you're with " ( and these old men now certainly practiced this policy over and over again when they were touring as young muscians in their Band )

Reaction Score
I understand this, and never said that you'd support turning down a P5 Conference invite. I merely responded to the assessment you made above that ( your quote ) you'd " need convincing " to take the ACC invite should it ever come. I just don't think any convincing would be needed at all by Uconn football fans ( well, 95% anyway ). They'd take the ACC invite in a hesrtbeaat. More importantly as to how decisions are made, Uconn football officials wouldn't need " convincing ". They'd take the ACC invite before the ink was dry.... and who could possibly blame them for not needing to think about it or need any " convincing " and any of that silliness ?

OK, but again, I'm not sure how my post implied that I would need convincing, especially in the absence of other options. I was trying to impart that after getting snubbed several times, it's not unusual that there would be some residual resentment. Although, moving forward there would be 20-28 million reasons to work through it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom