Iowa St-Kanasas in OT on ESPNU | The Boneyard

Iowa St-Kanasas in OT on ESPNU

Status
Not open for further replies.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Why?

Because, up 3 at the Phog, Iowa State let Kansas take a three to tie.

ALWAYS.
FOUL.
UNDER.
FIVE.
SECONDS.

Reaction Score
Feel badly for Iowa State they outplayed KU tonight but McLemore hit a huge shot and KU got a couple of whistles. McLemore does remind me a little of RayRay, he will be a top 5 pick this upcoming draft.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Why?

Because, up 3 at the Phog, Iowa State let Kansas take a three to tie.

ALWAYS.
FOUL.
UNDER.
FIVE.
SECONDS.

Pissing into the wind.

Reaction Score
Just watched the replay. Looked like they couldn't really do it when Kansas was pushing the ball up the court, because it was too soon to foul (7-10 seconds left). Nor was there a chance to foul McLemore (the shooter) because he was open on the catch and went right into the shot. There was, though, a small window to foul #15 as he dribbled around near the top of the key before he passed -- they could have fouled him with about 5 seconds left while he wasn't even facing the basket (taking the risk out of fouling a guy in the act). Once he got rid of the ball, though, that chance was gone.

There was a horrible defensive breakdown to have a good 3-point shooter open at the 3-point line up by 3. If you're not going to foul, you can't have a shooter that open. They picked the worst case scenario - they didn't foul and they didn't guard the line.

caw

Reaction Score
I wouldn't mind the Bobcats drafting Withey and McLemore with their two first rounders this year, assuming Portland makes the playoffs.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't mind the Bobcats drafting Withey and McLemore with their two first rounders this year, assuming Portland makes the playoffs.

If you had a choice b/w Muhammad and McLemore for the SG spot, who do you think the Bobcats should go with?

caw

Reaction Score
If you had a choice b/w Muhammad and McLemore for the SG spot, who do you think the Bobcats should go with?

Without knowing their true measurables, and not knowing a thing about their personalities and even taking age into account; McLemore. I think he fits better with the Bobcats. He seems more athletic and seems like a true two guard (rare these days)

Muhammad seems a bit bigger and more of a three. He also has looked a bit slow.

Both have good shots but I think McLemore's release is a bit quicker (though Muhammad seems to have great form). McLemore looks more like Ray Allen then Brad Beal ever did. I think McLemore has a slightly better handle also. I think both are good prospects.

A 1-2-3 of Kemba - McLemore - MKG is very athletic and quick. Throw in Taylor and that's a solid group of young 2's/3's to build on. They might be better grabbing a 4 or 5, but if they go for a guard McLemore would be a good choice.

I think they can pick up a decent big with Portland's pick (assuming Portland makes the playoffs). Withey/Dieng/Leslie/McAdoo might all be available then and maybe someone drops. I like Dieng in college but I think Withey is a better pick. Leslie is more of a three in the NBA so unless they want a back up to MKG they should pass on him (he would be a fantastic backup). I haven't seen a ton of McAdoo, but from the limited viewings I've seen, I'm not impressed.

I think they get Detroit's pick next year and don't send theirs to Chicago until 2015 or 2016, so they can still keep building through 2014.

Reaction Score
Hello Boneyarders. Been awhile.

McLemore is a stud. The kid was at KU last year but was not allowed to play because he didn't meet the minimum requirements coming out of High School. Most players in that situation would go the juco route, but McLemore decided to come to Kansas anyway and focus on academics his first year. In interviews I've read with him one of the things he is proudest of is getting a gpa over 3 as a freshman. McLemore was allowed to start practicing with the team December of his freshman year, and it's no coincidence that Kansas started getting better once he started practicing with the team. Kid reminds me of Paul Pierce.

caw

Reaction Score
Hello Boneyarders. Been awhile.

McLemore is a stud. The kid was at KU last year but was not allowed to play because he didn't meet the minimum requirements coming out of High School. Most players in that situation would go the juco route, but McLemore decided to come to Kansas anyway and focus on academics his first year. In interviews I've read with him one of the things he is proudest of is getting a gpa over 3 as a freshman. McLemore was allowed to start practicing with the team December of his freshman year, and it's no coincidence that Kansas started getting better once he started practicing with the team. Kid reminds me of Paul Pierce.

Really? Looking at potential NBA play, body type and styles, I see more young Ray Allen than young Paul Pierce. Muhammed seems more Paul Pierce than McLemore.

That said, I will yield to your judgement as I am sure you have seen both more than I have. I have only fading memories of Paul Pierce at KU and have only seen McLemore 4 times this year. I do agree he looks like a stud.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Pissing into the wind.
Almost everyone say to foul and almost no team does. I think coaches disagree for some reason. Seems like a crapshoot to allow the 3 which is lost a fair number of times as opposed to being able to box out to get a rebound on a missed free throw.

Reaction Score
To be fair to Hoiberg, that was the first thing he addressed in postgame with the media. His response was that his biggest player had fouled out (ISU is not a big team to begin with) and he was afraid Kansas would get the rebound on the intentional miss, and he though his odds were better letting them try the 3. The thing I don't understand is why McLemore was so wide open for the shot. That was a complete brain fart on the part of ISU.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Almost everyone say to foul and almost no team does. I think coaches disagree for some reason. Seems like a crapshoot to allow the 3 which is lost a fair number of times as opposed to being able to box out to get a rebound on a missed free throw.

It's pretty simple. They are wrong.

Reaction Score
Ijust happened to be watching, and the Spurs played straight up last night up by 3 and let Kobe shoot a contested 3 to tie. And the Lakers didn't even have Dwight Howard available to go for the rebound. I kind of thought they'd foul - although the time out rules make it harder to do it in the NBA (you can advance the ball 70 feet after a timeout, so you don't need as much time on the clock for two quality possessions).

Reaction Score
To be fair to Hoiberg, that was the first thing he addressed in postgame with the media. His response was that his biggest player had fouled out (ISU is not a big team to begin with) and he was afraid Kansas would get the rebound on the intentional miss, and he though his odds were better letting them try the 3. The thing I don't understand is why McLemore was so wide open for the shot. That was a complete brain fart on the part of ISU.

They were playing pretty good D up until that point, pressuring the ball and forcing Kansas to move away from the basket and not get a clean look. However, that was completely undone by the last part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TonyClifton

Top Bottom