Iowa player...47 points...no big deal! | The Boneyard

Iowa player...47 points...no big deal!

Reaction Score
Except that the player who went for 47 is Hannah Stuelke.
Clark...a mere 27.
I wonder how often during her career Clark has not been the leading scorer for her team. I presume it has been pretty rare, but 47 from someone not named Clark is almost beyond comprehension.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Iowa is clearly a very good team this year. South Carolina is an excellent team and the favorite to win the
NCAA ring. [Wonder if it is an odds-on fav...i.e. more than 50%?]

Suppose Iowa comes up short. Clark is a senior...Stuelke is a soph...and there are quite a few on the team who are underclass...prospects would seem bright for next year....especially if Clark comes back...while an academic senior
she has one more year of athletic eligibility left [frosh year not counting due to NCAA ruling on covid.

While she will break the scoring record this year I wonder if she might consider coming back:
try for the NCAA ring.
absolutely crush [her own] scoring record.
NIL money ...bet she is doing just fine there.

Bet Iowa fans have their fingers crossed.

Reaction Score
Iowa is clearly a very good team this year. South Carolina is an excellent team and the favorite to win the
NCAA ring. [Wonder if it is an odds-on fav...i.e. more than 50%?]

Suppose Iowa comes up short. Clark is a senior...Stuelke is a soph...and there are quite a few on the team who are underclass...prospects would seem bright for next year....especially if Clark comes back...while an academic senior
she has one more year of athletic eligibility left [frosh year not counting due to NCAA ruling on covid.

While she will break the scoring record this year I wonder if she might consider coming back:
try for the NCAA ring.
absolutely crush [her own] scoring record.
NIL money ...bet she is doing just fine there.

Bet Iowa fans have their fingers crossed.
Interesting stuff, Blake.

Doing our best to ignore the Swoopes of the world, there would most certainly and justifiably be a major asterisk attached to any records Caitlin might establish if she were to play a fifth season at Iowa. That she broke the records in four seasons would likely get lost along the way, especially to Clark detractors.

Not a small matter: best friend Kate Martin and longtime buddy Gabbie Marshall, as well as Molly Davis, will all be leaving. Even with the talent that'll be back, those young women have been with her for years.

I'd bet Caitlin will go to the WNBA because of where she'll be playing, nearby Indiana, and with whom, a bevy of talented young players. Staying in the comfy realm of Iowa City for another year might have its appeal, but she'll already have tons of records and, no matter what happens in the NCAA tournament, her status as an all-time collegiate great is secure.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Caitlin Clark has already played in an NCAA championship game. Iowa has a great chance of making the Final 4 this year. She's played on the biggest stages in the NCAA, and don't think she'll have any "better" chance of getting there in another year. Plus, while I think she'd be #1 pick no matter what year she leaves, she has the certainty now of knowing the exact situation she'll be walking into.

Matthew1589

Iowa Hawkeye Grad and Fan
Reaction Score

Doing our best to ignore the Swoopes of the world, there would most certainly and justifiably be a major asterisk attached to any records Caitlin might establish if she were to play a fifth season at Iowa. That she broke the records in four seasons would likely get lost along the way, especially to Clark detractors.

Not a small matter: best friend Kate Martin and longtime buddy Gabbie Marshall, as well as Molly Davis, will all be leaving. Even with the talent that'll be back, those young women have been with her for years.

I'd bet Caitlin will go to the WNBA because of where she'll be playing, nearby Indiana, and with whom, a bevy of talented young players. Staying in the comfy realm of Iowa City for another year might have its appeal, but she'll already have tons of records and, no matter what happens in the NCAA tournament, her status as an all-time collegiate great is secure.
Lisa Bluder this week said she is going to do her best to keep Kate Martin in Iowa City, on her staff. She'll likely have professional basketball opportunities she could explore too. Caitlin's also tight with Feuerbach and McCabe, she's really high on McCabe's ability. There is also a nice FR class coming in that will contribute (Guyton will be out now with an injury) or who knows what could happen with the portal (outgoing/incoming).

While I do think Caitlin goes to the WNBA, there is always a chance she comes back as Chelsea Gray has told her she would.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score

Wouldn't this be true for any records that are made by players in their 5th year of eligibility?
For example, last night Liz Kitley of VT set the ACC career record for double doubles. The ACC Network acknowledged this fete post game. This is her COVID (5th) year with over 20 "additional" games played.
I am not bashing Liz or the record, just pointing out the same situation.

Reaction Score
Wouldn't this be true for any records that are made by players in their 5th year of eligibility?
For example, last night Liz Kitley of VT set the ACC career record for double doubles. The ACC Network acknowledged this fete post game. This is her COVID (5th) year with over 20 "additional" games played.
I am not bashing Liz or the record, just pointing out the same situation.
Agreed, Centerstream, and each of those records bettered during a fifth season will be/should be/is being open to scrutiny. Aside from national titles won, perhaps, the all-time scoring record is the records centerpiece, so that's why I mentioned it.

Reaction Score
Lisa Bluder this week said she is going to do her best to keep Kate Martin in Iowa City, on her staff. She'll likely have professional basketball opportunities she could explore too. Caitlin's also tight with Feuerbach and McCabe, she's really high on McCabe's ability. There is also a nice FR class coming in that will contribute (Guyton will be out now with an injury) or who knows what could happen with the portal (outgoing/incoming).

While I do think Caitlin goes to the WNBA, there is always a chance she comes back as Chelsea Gray has told her she would.
Thanks for all that Hawkeye info, Matthew. I'd love it for Kate to remain in Iowa City. As much as I cheer for and admire Caitlin, Kate's my favorite Hawkeye player. I could see her being a coach, if she has that interest.

Reaction Score
Iowa Hawkeyes WBB is like one of those cool video games with a hidden level. They went "Stuelke" level on us. Jeez! Great game young lady.

Reaction Score
Caitlin Clark has already played in an NCAA championship game. Iowa has a great chance of making the Final 4 this year. She's played on the biggest stages in the NCAA, and don't think she'll have any "better" chance of getting there in another year. Plus, while I think she'd be #1 pick no matter what year she leaves, she has the certainty now of knowing the exact situation she'll be walking into.
This has been my thought as well. Who will step up the way of Martin, Marshall and Davis have? I can see Affoelter (sic?), not sure about Edinger, O'Grady or Goodman.

Can't remember who else was part of the 2022 class, outside of Stuelke and haven't seen their freshman class on the court in the games I've watched. If they're showing potential in practice, maybe? But it's anybody's guess right now.

Matthew1589

Iowa Hawkeye Grad and Fan
Reaction Score
This has been my thought as well. Who will step up the way of Martin, Marshall and Davis have? I can see Affoelter (sic?), not sure about Edinger, O'Grady or Goodman.

Can't remember who else was part of the 2022 class, outside of Stuelke and haven't seen their freshman class on the court in the games I've watched. If they're showing potential in practice, maybe? But it's anybody's guess right now.
The other '22 players are Jada Gyamfi and Taylor McCabe, both top 100 players. Jada has a nice game but just needs experience, she's been stuck behind players like Warnock, Stuelke, Martin, Affolter. McCabe was one of the best shooters in her class nationally, winning the high school 3pt contest (women's & then outshot the men too) at the '22 F4. She's had some big games but inconsistent minutes as she's been behind Clark, Davis, Marshall, Feuerbach.

Out of Ediger, O'Grady, or Goodman none have stepped up to take the post role which is why Lisa goes smaller with Stuelke. Goodman was given a chance early and had some nice moments, but is now at the end of the bench as Ediger has moved up battling O'Grady for a few minutes. O'Grady is the most talented, but needs to be a lot more aggressive finishing at the rim.

Reaction Score
The other '22 players are Jada Gyamfi and Taylor McCabe, both top 100 players. Jada has a nice game but just needs experience, she's been stuck behind players like Warnock, Stuelke, Martin, Affolter. McCabe was one of the best shooters in her class nationally, winning the high school 3pt contest (women's & then outshot the men too) at the '22 F4. She's had some big games but inconsistent minutes as she's been behind Clark, Davis, Marshall, Feuerbach.

Out of Ediger, O'Grady, or Goodman none have stepped up to take the post role which is why Lisa goes smaller with Stuelke. Goodman was given a chance early and had some nice moments, but is now at the end of the bench as Ediger has moved up battling O'Grady for a few minutes. O'Grady is the most talented, but needs to be a lot more aggressive finishing at the rim.

Thanks for filling in some of the gaps for me. Also for confirming my thoughts on the post depth as it's obvious why Stuelke plays ahead of everyone else. However it still perplexes me as to what happened with O'Grady. She seemed like she was on the right track as a freshman behind Czinano.

Reaction Score
Thanks for filling in some of the gaps for me. Also for confirming my thoughts on the post depth as it's obvious why Stuelke plays ahead of everyone else. However it still perplexes me as to what happened with O'Grady. She seemed like she was on the right track as a freshman behind Czinano.
We do have a really nice post coming in next year. Maybe Hannah will be able slide over to her more natural position of a 4.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
We do have a really nice post coming in next year. Maybe Hannah will be able slide over to her more natural position of a 4.
The one from Oregon? I had a work site near her school, drove by several times last summer. Only a few miles away from the high school Cameron Brink graduated from.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom