Interview with castle parents | The Boneyard

Interview with castle parents

Reaction Score
Thanks for sharing this. They are phenomenal parents very impressive no wonder Steph is such a great kid and tremendous talent. I can see it’s very possible he’s having thoughts like Caron did after his soph year because he loves being a Husky and would enjoy another year there in his journey I’m sure. But DH will show him out to get that contract!
Nice job by Swin and Renee

Reaction Score
No question Castle was going to be a good player no matter where he went. He is just built to succeed with his characteristics and great parents.

But he got maxed out by our coaches to his potential, really could not be a better fit for him than Uconn. Kid turned into the best defensive guard in the country.

His 3 point shot will develop into a threat in the NBA, he has all the form and mechanics to be a decent shooter or better. With his work ethic, no question about it. Shooting is the one thing that can be developed.

Reaction Score
There's an article in the New Haven Register about Castle's decision.

“I’d say there’s some things that I’ll say to (Castle) that maybe I should have said to Bouk,” Hurley said. “Just from a preparedness and the emotional maturity and just going into what that work place looks like in the NBA.

“But I think in Steph's situation, he’s got incredible parents, parental support that will be with him if he chooses to do that.”

Alternate access:

UConn freshman Stephon Castle expected to soon declare for NBA Draft: 'What a lottery pick looks like'

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Incredible parents, incredible family.

Steph is creeping towards my top 5.

Reaction Score
He has to go, he is ready. He outside shooting will only continue to skyrocket. He should be a future nba all star.

Reaction Score
Nice! Not sure if you can achieve UConn royalty being there 1 year, but my vote is Yes he’s a knight of UConn’s round table.

After this year the table may well have to be expanded to accommodate 4 or 5 more warriors.

Reaction Score
That is a lot of UConn on that panel. Nice interview with his parents who seem like grounded people.

I am impressed that Steph is taking a moment before making this decision. Donovan knew he wanted this one additional year going in, so the choice was easy. Apparently Steph was not mentally a one-and-done before he even started. He was going to work and see how it played out.

Reaction Score
We know we always rate our players much higher than the outside world. The fact of the matter is that the NBA is filled with players like Steph. And right now, just right now, he is not a complete package. Will he be a lottery pick? Yes. Will he become a complete player? Heck yes. But he is not a complete player yet. And if Coach brought up Boat in relation to Steph, there could be a maturity concern that we dont pick up from the outside.

Reaction Score
We know we always rate our players much higher than the outside world. The fact of the matter is that the NBA is filled with players like Steph. And right now, just right now, he is not a complete package. Will he be a lottery pick? Yes. Will he become a complete player? Heck yes. But he is not a complete player yet. And if Coach brought up Boat in relation to Steph, there could be a maturity concern that we dont pick up from the outside.
I think this is reading too much into it.

From all accounts Castle is light-years ahead of Bouknight from a maturity standpoint. I think Hurley is saying that he should have been more blunt with Bouknight about what it takes to succeed in the NBA, and should do that with Castle, just from an FYI point of view, not from the point of view of convincing him he isn't ready.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Really nice interview and props for the lifetime parenting skills... OTH I really hate the phrase "garbage parents"; not everybody gets parent of the year upbringing. Talk like that's gonna bite us in the someday.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Also, can you imagine the discipline involved in telling a 19 year old kid "you don't need all that money right now, let's put it away somewhere safe".

Reaction Score
Is it crazy of me to think that Steph will end up as having one of the top 5 best NBA careers for a UConn player? He is going to be so damn good

Reaction Score
I took this as a due diligence thing on Danny’s part. With a player that young I think he just feels a responsibility to outline more of the potential pitfalls. Not necessarily about basketball.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom