Interesting game tonight.... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Interesting game tonight....

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Are you implying that Tuck would try to guard Sims on the perimeter? Even the fast guards cannot keep her from zipping past them. I can'see that Tuck has the quickness to stay with Sims.
Might try doubling Sims with two guards and let the rest of Baylor play offense 4 on 3! I actually think we would do pretty well in that instance unless they discover a Tiffany Hayes type player to nail 3 after 3.

Reaction Score
No doubt, Sims is awesome!!! However, a single player, regardless of how talented, can't beat our Huskies without some serious help from their team and Sims just doesn't have the support. Honestly I will enjoy watching her play and probably put up some impressive numbers (I'm guessing in the 26-32pt range) on our Huskies Monday night which will keep Baylor within just about 25-30pts. Uconn 85-58….Go Huskies!!!

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
UCONN is the only team with the personnel to control Sims, and I fully expect you to. I think Sims has a modest game around 20 and that UCONN will win going away.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Sims gets her 20. And her 30. And almost both of those.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Are you implying that Tuck would try to guard Sims on the perimeter? Even the fast guards cannot keep her from zipping past them. I can'see that Tuck has the quickness to stay with Sims.

Tuck guarded McBride quite successfully in the final 4. I wouldn't put it past Geno to give her a shot.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Tuck guarded McBride quite successfully in the final 4. I wouldn't put it past Geno to give her a shot.

No way. McBride is not even close to the matchup problem that Sims is. Sims is not only quicker, but she is stronger, she is left handed (always tougher to guard), she is a better 3 point shooter.

I am a big fan of players who can hit bank shots on the drive. Incredibly tough to defend and Sims release the ball off the backboard from far enough away that our bigs can't get to it to block the shot.

I wonder if she is playing herself into the #1 pick.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
This potentially is ND revisited with Sims getting to the line over and over.....

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Tuck is not quick enough to guard her. I'm not sure anyone is strong enough or quick enough to guard her. She will get her points. The issue will be what her teammates do.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
UCONN is the only team with the personnel to control Sims, and I fully expect you to. I think Sims has a modest game around 20 and that UCONN will win going away.
welp, me asking you to bet the house on Baylor vs UConn is off the table

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
WVa apparently picked the wrong poison. When playing vs. a team with one big scorer, the simplest choice is either: (1) concentrate heavily (i.e., double/triple teams, box + one, etc.) on limiting the star's production; or (2) play everyone straight up, let the star shine brightly (something like her ppg average) and hope the total is insufficient to beat you.

It would appear that WVa went with option 2 and that poison was deadly.

I expressed my thoughts about defending Sims in another thread. Geno will express his thoughts (the only ones that matter) to his team, privately. I have total confidence in the coach.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
Glad to see WVU lose. Not because I'm that fond of Baylor...but because WVU's lost helps in getting Rutgers ranked faster. :)

Good game by Sims though.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
48 points, 10 boards, 7 assists, 6-10 from the arc. Great stats.

Her teammates scored 30.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
There are realistics posters among us that are (were) concerned that Sims might erupt in this manner.
It makes the upcoming matchup something less than a shoo-in
As before, I predict Morgan will be a big part of it
I think U r right - Morgan seams to b getting her confidence back- moving well!!! I don't think KML is in the shape she was prior to the injury 2 mos ago. Just my opinion. She is still exceptional- but I don't think she's totally back yet.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Sims is a terrific player and imo the best point guard in WCBB.. As great as her stats are Baylor's early schedule has been weak and Sims appears to be their offense. Don't forget WV is not UConn and against UConn I don't see Sims getting 10 rebounds and 7 assists. I don't see Baylor scoring over 50 pts against UConn either.

Defensively I see UConn going with a zone and box on Sims alot. She will not score at will underneath against UConn and with our disciple defense underneath I see her struggling down low. I expect Baylor to try and get the ball down low with dribble drives trying to get us in foul trouble. Every team to date has tried that and we are to smart to let it happen and to deep to let it have an effect on us.

Bottom line Sims is a great player however UConn has many great players and its more like how will Baylor stop UConn. I don't think this game will be very close. UConn can slow Sims down but Baylor cant slow UConn down. UConn by 25+.

Reaction Score
She is great at drawing contact, a la Diggins, on dribble drives against m2m defenders.

The zone with 2 in back might be good against Sims. Defenders like Stewie work best with a little space, and we do a very good job of shutting off the middle of the zone anyway. We'll see.

So...was Diggins as good as Sims when Diggins played in college? I didn't see many of her games and when I did I didn't know who she was.

Reaction Score
No way. McBride is not even close to the matchup problem that Sims is. Sims is not only quicker, but she is stronger, she is left handed (always tougher to guard), she is a better 3 point shooter.

I am a big fan of players who can hit bank shots on the drive. Incredibly tough to defend and Sims release the ball off the backboard from far enough away that our bigs can't get to it to block the shot.

I wonder if she is playing herself into the #1 pick.

My #1 pick would be Jen Hamson at this point. She's tough as nails and will play hurt.

Reaction Score
This potentially is ND revisited with Sims getting to the line over and over.....

I don't think Baylor has the supporting cast that ND had. They all seem to be inexperienced or freshman.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I love it! Little Odessey Sims has you guys concerned!
I'm not worried. Baylor lost to Kentucky. Who lost to Florida and Duke, who UCONN has already beaten by 20+. Not worried about Baylor. I'm probably more worried about Louisville.

Reaction Score
I'm not worried. Baylor lost to Kentucky. Who lost to Florida and Duke, who UCONN has already beaten by 20+. Not worried about Baylor. I'm probably more worried about Louisville.
I think it'll be a great game to watch but UCONN is loaded with too much firepower for Baylor.

If Slaughter can get back to 100% then the Louisville game will be closer.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
My #1 pick would be Jen Hamson at this point. She's tough as nails and will play hurt.
There once was a player Jen Hamson
Whose exploits approached those of Samson
Though she wouldn't play on Sunday
Cuz that's not a fun day
Her fan held the BY for ransom

Hamson? Where have we heard that name a few thousand times before? Maybe there should be four or five threads about her here.

Getting back to Baylor, Sims has taken about 29% of the Bears' shots at over 50% accuracy and also about 32% of the FTs, and she averages about 8-9 from the FT line. But Nina Davis is also a factor for Baylor as she takes the second most shots at 66.4% accuracy, which is kind of astounding since she's only 5'11" and a forward. So between the two leaders, they take about 40% of the team's shots at 54.9% accuracy. Obviously two players to focus on. And Sims is also hitting at about 3 3-pt shots a game at 43% accuracy.

The next three most active shooters on Baylor average a total of 26% of the shots at a rate of 30.5% accuracy. Obviously, stopping the Sims and Davis drives and inviting the rest of the Bears to make contributions is the key, but that is well known.

Reaction Score
I agree with TonyC on this one, Sims is a great player but Batylor is not a great team at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom