Inside/Outside Katie Lou Does It All... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Inside/Outside Katie Lou Does It All...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Last year at this time, there were threads discussing which of the four incoming freshman might start, and how much playing time each would get. Although those threads are still out there, I can't seem to find them with a search, can anyone help?

BTW, if last year, anyone correctly predicted that Nurse would start, Williams would play significant minutes as a forward, Eckmark would be relegated to the end of the bench, and Edwards would drop out of school, then they definitely would qualify as a basketball GURU, and need to start buying lottery tickets.

That's why they play the games.
I predicted that Nurse would start; Williams would use her athleticism, but in the backcourt; Ekmark would be a stellar 3-point shooter; and Sadie would shine in garbage time. Maybe too optimistic. :(

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I predicted that Nurse would start; Williams would use her athleticism, but in the backcourt; Ekmark would be a stellar 3-point shooter; and Sadie would shine in garbage time. Maybe too optimistic. :(
Nah - just the coaching staff let us all down terribly last year! :eek::cool:

HGN

Reaction Score
It's defense , or any lack thereof, that will keep KLS from getting PT next season. Her offense will be fine but if she can't stop the other player she will be watching the game from Geno's sight perspective.

Just saying.

Reaction Score
I hope Katie Lou puts on a few pounds over the summer. She is to thin and may be pushed around near the basket.
Don't be fooled. She is tougher than she appears. lol. She isn't getting pushed around as much as she is flopping. A tactic for self defense. It gets her a lot of calls especially since she is usually the target for rough play from the opposition. If you remember some months ago I answered some Uconn fans question as to how she compares to KLM. I have seen KLS play a few times and have seen her best and her worst. She is definitely a more complete player than KLM. She has a really good handle. Saw her break a press that the rest of the team was struggling with last year. She does everything well and has a heck of a range. Plus as many have pointed out she is probably 6'3" +
+

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
The only reason I might question Stewart and Tuck starting is should Moriah, Kia, and Tuck struggle from behind the arc and Butler impress on the inside - if all of that happened I could see Geno possibly going to a Butler Stewart _____ Jefferson, Nurse line-up where the blank is filled with a hot hand from distance - Ekmark, Samuelson, _____?

Beyond Butler impressing I do not think the rest is likely to occur so I agree. And I wouldn't be too surprised if both Lou and Natalie are playing well, if they alternated starting assignments based on opponent.

If everyone is playing well, this may be the most versatile team since the 1999 - 2001 teams with the veteran players being pushed by the new young guns.
I don't question, even for a second, the 4 starters. Stewart, Tuck, Jefferson and Nurse. If no injuries, they'll start. I'll bet your life on it. Also, Tuck is gonna be one of if not "the" captain next year. She's gonna start.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
If you remember some months ago I answered some Uconn fans question as to how she compares to KLM. I have seen KLS play a few times and have seen her best and her worst. She is definitely a more complete player than KLM.

Ahem.

KML (Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis).

KLM is the Belgian airline.;)

Reaction Score
It's defense , or any lack thereof, that will keep KLS from getting PT next season. Her offense will be fine but if she can't stop the other player she will be watching the game from Geno's sight perspective.

Always like your stuff, HGN, and while Geno does put a premium on great defense, Lou will get that part of her game up to speed quickly because as we know, playing defense is all about attitude and desire, and I'm confident Lou has that in spades. All UConn freshmen (even Moriah and Stewie) get plenty of bench time until Geno likes what he sees, but what Lou brings on offense will evoke huge smiles even while her defensive game is a work in progress. You just can't sit Steph Curry.

[The kid was asked to do so much for Mater Dei offensively, she can be forgiven if her 'D' wasn't all-world. But in all fairness to Lou, in all the videos you never get to see her on defense because everyone was enamored by her offense. But she wants to be the best, and she knows that means being great on both ends, and she will be.]

Last edited:
Reactions: HGN

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

Just saying.
I am wondering why people seem to be assuming Lou is a terrible defender? She will certainly be a freshman which means she will have a learning curve at Uconn, but ...?
Is it because she is a prolific scorer that everyone assumes she must be lazy on defense?
I expect her to be at least as good defensively as Kaleena was as a freshman, and with her added height to pose more problems defensively than Kaleena did. There may be more competition for Lou as a freshman than there was for Kaleena, and that may impact her playing time, but that is a separate issue.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I don't question, even for a second, the 4 starters. Stewart, Tuck, Jefferson and Nurse. If no injuries, they'll start. I'll bet your life on it. Also, Tuck is gonna be one of if not "the" captain next year. She's gonna start.
So generous of you to bet my life on your statement!!! :cool:

HGN

Reaction Score
I am wondering why people seem to be assuming Lou is a terrible defender? She will certainly be a freshman which means she will have a learning curve at Uconn, but ...?
Is it because she is a prolific scorer that everyone assumes she must be lazy on defense?
I expect her to be at least as good defensively as Kaleena was as a freshman, and with her added height to pose more problems defensively than Kaleena did. There may be more competition for Lou as a freshman than there was for Kaleena, and that may impact her playing time, but that is a separate issue.
UcMiami , read my post again. I NEVER said KLS was a terrible defender. What I said was that if she couldn't stop the other player she would not being getting as much PT. That's not saying she is a terrible defender. All I am saying is she will have to play good defense. They all do.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
UcMiami , read my post again. I NEVER said KLS was a terrible defender. What I said was that if she couldn't stop the other player she would not being getting as much PT. That's not saying she is a terrible defender. All I am saying is she will have to play good defense. They all do.
I responded to you, but it seems to be a thread here with a lot of posters questioning her defense. I agree that you didn't say she was a bad defender, but I certainly interpreted your tone to imply an expectation that she would lose playing time to others because of being a defensive liability. This is not something I see when people post about expectations for Collier for example, though she will have a very similar learning curve and there is no data I have seen suggesting she was a better defender in HS than Lou.

HGN

Reaction Score
I responded to you, but it seems to be a thread here with a lot of posters questioning her defense. I agree that you didn't say she was a bad defender, but I certainly interpreted your tone to imply an expectation that she would lose playing time to others because of being a defensive liability. This is not something I see when people post about expectations for Collier for example, though she will have a very similar learning curve and there is no data I have seen suggesting she was a better defender in HS than Lou.
I agree with that..........Now you can go back to enjoying South Beach or something...LOL

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I agree with that.....Now you can go back to enjoying South Beach or something...LOL
Just sold my Miami house so my ID is now out of date!

Reactions: HGN

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I expect her to be at least as good defensively as Kaleena was as a freshman,

Some of us have seen her play and her defensive issues were readily apparent and noted at the time. Even Geno snarkily said she defends like KML a couple months ago. That said, a very short Vine video of her during the U-19 tryouts gives some hope that she's better than she looked at Mater Dei.

Reaction Score
Given all the negative speculation on Katie Lou's defense, I will never understand why Geno recruited her in the first place.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Given all the negative speculation on Katie Lou's defense, I will never understand why Geno recruited her in the first place.

He recruited her because of her offensive skill, BB IQ, and work ethic just as all the other top schools did.

He recruited Stef Dolson due to her effort level, passing skills, hands, etc, and she became an excellent defender over the course of her time at UConn. Let's hope KLS takes a similar path.

Reaction Score
HuskiesRule [previously]: "Given all the negative speculation on Katie Lou's defense, I will never understand why Geno recruited her in the first place."

He recruited her because of her offensive skill, BB IQ, and work ethic just as all the other top schools did.

He recruited Stef Dolson due to her effort level, passing skills, hands, etc, and she became an excellent defender over the course of her time at UConn. Let's hope KLS takes a similar path.

DUHHHHHHHHHH ! You're kidding, right? I didn't think my comment on Katie Lou could have possibly been misunderstood, but you managed to. Can you possibly believe that any UConn fan isn't super psyched over Lou? It's called sarcasm, but I'll make it real clear next time with emoticons.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Leonard Hofstadter: "For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?"
Sheldon Cooper: "You have a sarcasm sign?"

Reaction Score
Leonard Hofstadter: "For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?"
Sheldon Cooper: "You have a sarcasm sign?"

Outstanding! that is one of my favorite episodes. Grins

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
HuskiesRule [previously]: "Given all the negative speculation on Katie Lou's defense, I will never understand why Geno recruited her in the first place."

DUHHHHHHHHHH ! You're kidding, right? I didn't think my comment on Katie Lou could have possibly been misunderstood, but you managed to. Can you possibly believe that any UConn fan isn't super psyched over Lou? It's called sarcasm, but I'll make it real clear next time with emoticons.

You're right, I did misunderstand. I thought you tweaking people for pointing out her defensive issues.

Reaction Score
You're right, I did misunderstand. I thought you tweaking people for pointing out her defensive issues.

Oh Man. I love that kid! She's gonna become a special player at UConn. As far as her defense, all the negative comments are totally ridiculous because almost every video clip (except full games, of which I've seen only two) has focused exclusively on her offense, providing viewers with practically zero basis to judge her defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom