Info From Open Practice on 11/14 | The Boneyard

Info From Open Practice on 11/14

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I attended (along with a lot of other people) the open practice for season ticket holders that was held on Saturday afternoon. Geno answered questions from the audience after a 3-hour practice.

Here are some things that Geno said or that those present observed at this event:

1. Per Geno, Saniya will not play against Ohio State and neither will Dejenae. He is pretty sure that Saniya will available soon after Monday's game and should be ready for the Kansas State game a week later. Both players were present for today's practice but did not participate. Dejenae did some work (including some sprinting) on a side court during the practice.

2. I asked about the chances for an early return by Natalie (who was present and working on the side). Geno said it's possible but he is not counting on it. It all depends on how her hand reacts when the cast comes off, and that is different for everyone.

3. Regarding the practice itself, the scrimmages focused mostly on defense and press breaking. They clearly had Ohio State's guards in mind. Geno said that tomorrow's practice will be shorter and will focus on offense. He noted that Ohio State had only 3 assists against South Carolina, and said that teams that rely so much on individual play are tough to play against. He said that the key will be to make the OSU guards work really hard at their defensive end and wear them down as much as possible. Having seen Moriah and Kia practice today, there is an excellent chance that will happen. They were running hard from end to end with no apparent stress even after it was obvious that other players (especially Lou and Napheesa) were wearing down.

4. After seeing the practice, I think it is absolutely beyond doubt (famous last words) that Gabby will be the fifth starter on Monday night. She did all the reps with the Blue team. Lou, Napheesa, and Courtney were reserves. Courtney occasionally wore a white jersey (Tierney and "Polly" always wore white), but Courtney sometimes played in blue also. Gabby looked very good in practice, as she did in the last exhibition game.

5. Lou and Napheesa played well. Lou made 4 3-pointers out of maybe 9 or 10 that she attempted in the scrimmages. On defense, she was guarding on the perimeter. Napheesa was making shots around the basket with regularity, but she got corrected a lot on defense. I did not see either her or Gabby attempt shots from any distance.

6. The press break drill was interesting. It started with the White team shooting a free throw. Then Blue would have to inbound the ball against a press (involving mostly male practice players), get to the offensive end, run a possession, and get back again for a defensive possession before the drill ended. They repeated that 10 to 15 times with different players. Moriah excelled in those sequences, dribbling through the press on offense and stealing the ball when they returned on defense.

7. Geno calls most players by their first names, but somewhat oddly, Morgan was always called "Tuck". I guess he just prefers one syllable; Moriah was always "Mo". But Gabby was Gabby and Stewie was Stewie, despite the extra syllable.

8. Geno's funniest diatribe during the Q&A was his response to someone who asked about the chances for a 24-second clock being adopted. He started with a serious answer about most coaches not wanting to see a lot more possessions during the game, because the scores might get too lopsided if the teams were not well matched. But then he said (approximately), "Can you imagine Harry Perretta coaching with a 24-second clock? He couldn't do what he always does: 'Kathy, pass to Mary. Susie, cut to the basket. Emily, dribble to the left and pass.'" Having watched Perretta coach a game last Thanksgiving weekend in Florida, I can confirm that is exactly what he did when Villanova had the ball.

Reaction Score
Thanks Joe for the post.
Nice to hear Chong has no serious problem and can play week later.
We will have only 8 players to play with OSU. But I think that is way enough.

Reaction Score
I attended (along with a lot of other people) the open practice for season ticket holders that was held on Saturday afternoon. Geno answered questions from the audience after a 3-hour practice.

Here are some things that Geno said or that those present observed at this event:

1. Per Geno, Saniya will not play against Ohio State and neither will Dejenae. He is pretty sure that Saniya will available soon after Monday's game and should be ready for the Kansas State game a week later. Both players were present for today's practice but did not participate. Dejenae did some work (including some sprinting) on a side court during the practice.

2. I asked about the chances for an early return by Natalie (who was present and working on the side). Geno said it's possible but he is not counting on it. It all depends on how her hand reacts when the cast comes off, and that is different for everyone.

3. Regarding the practice itself, the scrimmages focused mostly on defense and press breaking. They clearly had Ohio State's guards in mind. Geno said that tomorrow's practice will be shorter and will focus on offense. He noted that Ohio State had only 3 assists against South Carolina, and said that teams that rely so much on individual play are tough to play against. He said that the key will be to make the OSU guards work really hard at their defensive end and wear them down as much as possible. Having seen Moriah and Kia practice today, there is an excellent chance that will happen. They were running hard from end to end with no apparent stress even after it was obvious that other players (especially Lou and Napheesa) were wearing down.

4. After seeing the practice, I think it is absolutely beyond doubt (famous last words) that Gabby will be the fifth starter on Monday night. She did all the reps with the Blue team. Lou, Napheesa, and Courtney were reserves. Courtney occasionally wore a white jersey (Tierney and "Polly" always wore white), but Courtney sometimes played in blue also. Gabby looked very good in practice, as she did in the last exhibition game.

5. Lou and Napheesa played well. Lou made 4 3-pointers out of maybe 9 or 10 that she attempted in the scrimmages. On defense, she was guarding on the perimeter. Napheesa was making shots around the basket with regularity, but she got corrected a lot on defense. I did not see either her or Gabby attempt shots from any distance.

6. The press break drill was interesting. It started with the White team shooting a free throw. Then Blue would have to inbound the ball against a press (involving mostly male practice players), get to the offensive end, run a possession, and get back again for a defensive possession before the drill ended. They repeated that 10 to 15 times with different players. Moriah excelled in those sequences, dribbling through the press on offense and stealing the ball when they returned on defense.

7. Geno calls most players by their first names, but somewhat oddly, Morgan was always called "Tuck". I guess he just prefers one syllable; Moriah was always "Mo". But Gabby was Gabby and Stewie was Stewie, despite the extra syllable.

8. Geno's funniest diatribe during the Q&A was his response to someone who asked about the chances for a 24-second clock being adopted. He started with a serious answer about most coaches not wanting to see a lot more possessions during the game, because the scores might get too lopsided if the teams were not well matched. But then he said (approximately), "Can you imagine Harry Perretta coaching with a 24-second clock? He couldn't do what he always does: 'Kathy, pass to Mary. Susie, cut to the basket. Emily, dribble to the left and pass.'" Having watched Perretta coach a game last Thanksgiving weekend in Florida, I can confirm that is exactly what he did when Villanova had the ball.
Thanks Joe.

Reaction Score

8. Geno's funniest diatribe during the Q&A was his response to someone who asked about the chances for a 24-second clock being adopted. He started with a serious answer about most coaches not wanting to see a lot more possessions during the game, because the scores might get too lopsided if the teams were not well matched. But then he said (approximately), "Can you imagine Harry Perretta coaching with a 24-second clock? He couldn't do what he always does: 'Kathy, pass to Mary. Susie, cut to the basket. Emily, dribble to the left and pass.'" Having watched Perretta coach a game last Thanksgiving weekend in Florida, I can confirm that is exactly what he did when Villanova had the ball.[/QUOTES

Some guys have all the luck! Boy, were you one of them. Excuse me while I become jelous.

Reaction Score
#7 "But Gabby was Gabby and Stewie was Stewie, despite the extra syllable."

Too funny!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I've noticed that about Morgan. Coaches and teammates tend to call her by her last name. I wonder if it's to avoid confusion between Mo-riah and Mo-rgan. Or maybe she just likes it. If her shooting is hot against OSU, she'll be Fryer Tuck.

grizz36

Misabe Mukwa
Reaction Score
I've noticed that about Morgan. Coaches and teammates tend to call her by her last name. I wonder if it's to avoid confusion between Mo-riah and Mo-rgan. Or maybe she just likes it. If her shooting is hot against OSU, she'll be Fryer Tuck.

Bad, bad, baaad! Almost bad enough to make you an honorary bear!

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I had the good fortune to be there as well. My two cents worth of babble:

The new lighting in the arena is cool....decidedly better than the olde stuff.
As usual...a huge amount of enthusiasm and energy permeated the gym....lots of chatter and noise and music during warm-ups and drills.
Kiah and Gabby are the early favorites to win karioke [sp?] contests.

Geno morphed into Mr. Grouch as the afternoon wore on...unhappy with defensive lapses in particular.
Paraphrasing...he said that Ohio State was going to score on us even if we played good defense...and they would score a ton if we played bad defense.
Two of the guys in the scrimmage were darn good....often hitting on open threes or drives to the basket....annoying Geno to a faretheewell. MoJeff
stood out with overall pestiness during that action.

Warde Manual was courtside for much of the time...sitting in a Big Cheese seat of course. Geno seems to hit it off with him.
Gabby's mid-range jumper in drills is noticeably better than last year. Katie is still not hitting from the perimeter as she will be...hopefully sooner than later...as in tonight at 5:30.

We have read about how hard Natalie has worked over the summer. I think I read she had lost 20 pounds. Whether it is 2 or 20 or twice that is no matter.
She looks fabulous...slender and fit....runs the court very well for her size. She worked a bit on the side on post moves and free throws.
Occasionally cradling with the left hand but usually shooting only with right. She took free throws for a bit using only right hand...hit them at around 80% imo.
She looked a lot like Elena with her form except no use of left hand. Very simple motion. Our free throw guru Olde Coach would have been proud...she was conforming to his free throw manual of a few years ago.

DeJanae did do some sprinting on the side....I think with boot still on. Ran smoothly...and fast.

I confess I am a bit concerned about tonight....especially if either Kiah or MoJeff get in foul trouble.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score

As usual...a huge amount of enthusiasm and energy permeated the gym....lots of chatter and noise and music during warm-ups and drills.

Geno morphed into Mr. Grouch as the afternoon wore on...unhappy with defensive lapses in particular.
Paraphrasing...he said that Ohio State was going to score on us even if we played good defense...and they would score a ton if we played bad defense.
Two of the guys in the scrimmage were darn good....often hitting on open threes or drives to the basket....annoying Geno to a faretheewell. MoJeff

Warde Manual was courtside for much of the time...sitting in a Big Cheese seat of course. Geno seems to hit it off with him.
Gabby's mid-range jumper in drills is noticeably better than last year. Katie is still not hitting from the perimeter as she will be...hopefully sooner than later...as in tonight at 5:30.

We have read about how hard Natalie has worked over the summer. I think I read she had lost 20 pounds. Whether it is 2 or 20 or twice that is no matter.
She looks fabulous...slender and fit....runs the court very well for her size. She worked a bit on the side on post moves and free throws.
Occasionally cradling with the left hand but usually shooting only with right. She took free throws for a bit using only right hand...hit them at around 80% imo.
She looked a lot like Elena with her form except no use of left hand. Very simple motion. Our free throw guru Olde Coach would have been proud...she was conforming to his free throw manual of a few years ago.

DeJanae did do some sprinting on the side....I think with boot still on. Ran smoothly...and fast.

I confess I am a bit concerned about tonight....especially if either Kiah or MoJeff get in foul trouble.
I have already decided her name is Lou so when I saw Katie I was like... WHO THE HECK IS KATIE?!?!?!? Lol I had to think for a few seconds on that one.

Reaction Score

Good point at the end. I've said repeatedly that Saniya Chong is a key player this year, specifically to spell the guards. She is the only experienced player at that position on the bench. As is, you sound concerned that Lou isn't ready to put in much quality time. You may be right, OR she may break out in this game and be the next great Husky. Thanks for sharing.

HGN

Reaction Score

Lou will come around on her jumper and 3 pointers............She's too good of a shooter not to. Like you , I hope more sooner than later.
Would love for all players to be healthy. But no luck there. Got to hope for a clean and low foul game tonight.

LET'S GO HUSKIES.

Joobie

Bookie
Reaction Score
I was worried about facing the #6 team in the country with no (true) center. Then I read that their tallest player is only 6'3". When I read Joe's post, I felt even better still. I'm sure Geno will have the team ready for the Ohio State challenge. Thanks Joe! I am psyched to see our girls kick some Buckeye Behind!

Reaction Score
This isn't much different than last year, where UConn played Stanford on the road after what was little more than an exhibition game against UC-Davis. I wonder if Geno isn't intentionally putting them into a bad situation. I'm sure he didn't plan on the short bench but as it has turned out the team may well have to rely on their freshmen to play significant roles and there is a chance, however small, that UConn could lose. Fans tend to think that if their team wins it's because they played good and if they lose it's their poor play that is to blame. There is a tendency to discount the play of the opponent. tOSU is at home and they have several very good outside shooters. I expect them to play better than they did at SC, and if they play their best the game could go either way.

But to me it makes little difference in the larger picture. If UConn wins and the freshmen play well the confidence of the team will go through the roof. And if they lose it will be a wake up call much like last year's loss at Stanford.

Now IMO the only way they lose is if in addition to OSU having a great game two of the four returning starters get into serious foul trouble and that only happens if the refs get intimidated by the atmosphere (I think there was a little of that at Stanford last year) and get whistle happy. The four returning starters are very tough, physically and more importantly mentally.

It's going to be a great game.

T

TroyHouse66

<<Lou...may break out in this game and be the next great Husky.>>

Ah...
If she were only a SamuelsEn... she could be the next Great Dane.
(and a Husky.)

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
This isn't much different than last year, where UConn played Stanford on the road after what was little more than an exhibition game against UC-Davis. I wonder if Geno isn't intentionally putting them into a bad situation. I'm sure he didn't plan on the short bench but as it has turned out the team may well have to rely on their freshmen to play significant roles and there is a chance, however small, that UConn could lose. Fans tend to think that if their team wins it's because they played good and if they lose it's their poor play that is to blame. There is a tendency to discount the play of the opponent. tOSU is at home and they have several very good outside shooters. I expect them to play better than they did at SC, and if they play their best the game could go either way.
I've been thinking the same thing. He's giving them a real challenge right off the bat, made more difficult by virtue of tOSU having already played a premium squad.

The Cal coach, Gottlieb, did a similar thing in scheduling L'ville at L'ville, but made a little stop-off at Austin Peay first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom