Maestro
Reaction Score
Mabrey is at it again, This kid is for real
After a very high scoring 1st quarter, ND is tearing up DePaul
Up by 20

Reaction Score
The other freshmen, Ogunbowale has 15 points at the half

Reaction Score
Stevie Wonder could make better defensive adjustments than Doug Bruno. Notre Dame was shooting 82% FG in the second quarter- mostly lay-ups and uncontested 3s

Reaction Score
wow wow wow... 5 point game with less then a minute to play.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
ND had a lot tougher time once DePaul gave up the trap and they had to run half-court offense. But they also just missed a bunch of shots. Everything from uncontested 3s to layups to free throws. Weird because they couldn't miss in the 1st half.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
People complain about UCONN's defense. Notre Dame's defense is even more porous. In the second half the ND shooters were not getting wide open looks and they could not hit as often. ND started the third quarter just as they did with UCONN, slow. If DePaul had hit some of those layups, especially the one missed with the score 95 to 90, they might have caught ND. For some reason, Muffett did not play Ogunbowale in the fourth quarter. She was arguably the best spark for ND in the first half. It looks like ND's freshmen, Ogunbowale and Mabrey are more efficient offensively than Collier and Katy Lou. However, when the season is complete, it may be the other way around. ND looked like world beaters in the first half. They could not sustain that level of play. No way SC will beat ND this season.

Reaction Score
ND had a lot tougher time once DePaul gave up the trap and they had to run half-court offense. But they also just missed a bunch of shots. Everything from uncontested 3s to layups to free throws. Weird because they couldn't miss in the 1st half.
47 3's with 32 made (by both teams). ND missed Free throws--DePaul didn't.
Cable got 21 Mabrey 2 got 12 (that ain't burnin up the baskets)
Geno better learn to defend he 3 if he is going to play either of these 2 in the NCAA's.
Colgate drilled a few on Uconn too.

Reaction Score
People complain about UCONN's defense. Notre Dame's defense is even more porous. In the second half the ND shooters were not getting wide open looks and they could not hit as often. ND started the third quarter just as they did with UCONN, slow. If DePaul had hit some of those layups, especially the one missed with the score 95 to 90, they might have caught ND. For some reason, Muffett did not play Ogunbowale in the fourth quarter. She was arguably the best spark for ND in the first half. It looks like ND's freshmen, Ogunbowale and Mabrey are more efficient offensively than Collier and Katy Lou. However, when the season is complete, it may be the other way around. ND looked like world beaters in the first half. They could not sustain that level of play. No way SC will beat ND this season.
Muffet historically has more developed Freshman than Geno--in the early season. Geno brings them along slower --apparently it has worked well for him.
There is nothing about Katie Lou or Collier I do not like.
Pretty close stats between ND/DePaul, ND however really drilled threes. 55 percent to 45 for Depaul.

Reaction Score
yeah, Stevie must've called Doug at halftime.

It was incredible to watch a coach make no adjustments in the first half as his team gave up 65 points. If Stevie calls in the first half DePaul wins the game.

Reaction Score
Geno better learn to defend he 3 if he is going to play either of these 2 in the NCAA's.
I don't have any stats to back this up, but it seems like a lot of the 3s UConn has given up have been from pretty deep. Is it just luck? Perhaps given that some of the 3s are coming from NBA range as Meg said on the broadcast tonight. Is this the only shot a team has to beat UConn? Jack up as many 3s as you can and hope you're hot that night? Maybe you pull off the slim victory if you're scorching the nets instead of losing by 40 if you're not. In the other direction, Stewie seems to be the only steady 3 point shooter we have this year.

Reaction Score
Muffet historically has more developed Freshman than Geno--in the early season. Geno brings them along slower --apparently it has worked well for him.
There is nothing about Katie Lou or Collier I do not like.

No spitting match here Broadway but this comment is a chuckle. :D Muffet historically has more developed Freshman than Geno--in the early season. :confused: I would need a list to swallow this one. For freshmen to start or get playing time on any team they must have the system down and beat out an upperclassmen for the job. UCONN is probably one of the most difficult teams in the country to accomplish this. Some teams may appear to start a frosh sooner but that only means there is no other option ahead of them. Some teams lean on a star frosh which is fine but they do not share the ball or win as much as Geno does. :)

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

ND shot a nudge better from 3-pt. range (11-20 - as you pointed out) than from the free throw stripe (12-22), with Cable and Allen having difficulty at the FT stripe (Allen 4-8, Cable 0-4). How weird is that?
Mabrey actually finished with 16 points (3 of 4 from 3-pt range and 3-3 from FT), as did Arike Ogunbowale. And Mychal Johnson, who didn't play at all against UConn, finished with 12. MM brought her into play defense but she shot very efficiently (4-4) from the field.

Orangutan thought they had good shots in the second half but were just missing. In the post-game comments, Muffet thought they could've made an extra pass in executing the offense (Mabrey1 took one shot from Michigan). But Reimer and Westbeld were missing point blank layups off great feeds. She said the defense was "unacceptable" and that's probably why Huffman and Johnson played so much down the stretch (Free throws and boxing out need to be worked on. Lastly, she noted they're tired. Not only have they played a bunch of tough games, but this is coming at close of semester and study period before finals (my daughter is a sophomore there...). Think they just want to get through TCU and take a break....

Last edited:

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
As good as their stats looked they only won by 5. DePaul is executing their stuff and frankly even with their losses they have looked good. I would even say better than a few teams in the Top 10.

Reaction Score
I don't have any stats to back this up, but it seems like a lot of the 3s UConn has given up have been from pretty deep. Is it just luck? Perhaps given that some of the 3s are coming from NBA range as Meg said on the broadcast tonight. Is this the only shot a team has to beat UConn? Jack up as many 3s as you can and hope you're hot that night? Maybe you pull off the slim victory if you're scorching the nets instead of losing by 40 if you're not. In the other direction, Stewie seems to be the only steady 3 point shooter we have this year.
The 47 came from Gametracker---Team stats 55.5 percent for ND 45 Pc for DP

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Pretty close stats between ND/DePaul, ND however really drilled threes. 55 percent to 45 for Depaul.
But Geno already did play them. And they shot as well (DePaul) or better (ND) against UCONN and UCONN still beat them by double digits. Had ND shot 55%, UCONN would have beat them by 16 too.

What are you guys afraid of? That someday UCONN is going to run into a highly ranked team that going to go crazy and shoot 65% from the 3 pt?

Reaction Score
But Geno already did play them. And they shot as well (DePaul) or better (ND) against UCONN and UCONN still beat them by double digits. Had ND shot 55%, UCONN would have beat them by 16 too.

What are you guys afraid of? That someday UCONN is going to run into a highly ranked team that going to go crazy and shoot 65% from the 3 pt?

Gee whiz, can we get more stats to make a case for Fonzie not being able to jump the shark? Let's just move on.

BTW M-7, noticed the Gunners made it to the Knockout round. Guess Arsene gets to keep his job.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Gee whiz, can we get more stats to make a case for Fonzie not being able to jump the shark? Let's just move on.
Agree, considering he already did it.
BTW M-7, noticed the Gunners made it to the Knockout round. Guess Arsene gets to keep his job.
Yep, good week so far for the Gunners. :D
Live and Die in LA...er...by the 3!
Great movie. Great, great movie.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The other freshmen, Ogunbowale has 15 points at the half

Ogunbowale is the real deal also. If you remember, she was on UConn's "short list" last year along with Aja Durr (Louisville) before they committed to other programs.

Nothing this young lady does surprises me. I think the UConn staff would have been happy to land either of these recruits, but unfortunately, failed to get either one.

Last edited:

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Think Orang was referring to Marina Mabrey (not Michaela) who scored 16 points not 12. Not sure where you got your stats from.

Despite the UConn 26.8% 3pt defense last year, UConn never satisfactorily learned how to defend the 3 well enough to keep Dayton from ripping the Huskies in the Elite 8 game at the same percentage as ND and DePaul combined for last night, so yes again I am afraid that the Huskies are doomed.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score

A little reported fact, Ketia Swanier not only started her first game as a freshman, she started at Point Guard! Only one other freshman started her first game as a point guard. Guess who?

Reaction Score
A little reported fact, Ketia Swanier not only started her first game as a freshman, she started at Point Guard! Only one other freshman started her first game as a point guard. Guess who?
Ketia was one fast kid. Geno was in one of his "down" spells (probably only won 32 games that year) when Ketia started. I wasn't in Ct when Sue Bird started--but if I recruited Bird--she would have started for me as a frosh. I complained to my local Newspapers (in Jersey) about no Uconn Coverage--I think they are still laughing!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom