In the end, guess most at Rent today could not care less. . . . | Page 2 | The Boneyard

In the end, guess most at Rent today could not care less. . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I actually thought the place looked pretty packed by the 2nd/3rd quarter.

I know this has been beat to death, but the stadium will never look full when there are people 10 deep in the concourses watching the game. It is what it is. For the majority of the fans, it's a social event and they are there to see friends/family. It sucks, that it gives the appearance of a lot of empty seats, but it's the reality of the situation.

There was a group of people sitting in front of me that were getting up to leave at 14-7 in the 4th quarter. I said to the guy pushing for the leave (wearing full UConn gear too) 'how can you leave? it's a 7 point game in the 4th quarter?' His response? 'You don't know me and don't know I don't cave to peer pressure. I'm not paying $8 for a hot dog.' What a fn loser.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I actually thought the place looked pretty packed by the 2nd/3rd quarter.

I know this has been beat to death, but the stadium will never look full when there are people 10 deep in the concourses watching the game. It is what it is. For the majority of the fans, it's a social event and they are there to see friends/family. It sucks, that it gives the appearance of a lot of empty seats, but it's the reality of the situation.

There was a group of people sitting in front of me that were getting up to leave at 14-7 in the 4th quarter. I said to the guy pushing for the leave (wearing full UConn gear too) 'how can you leave? it's a 7 point game in the 4th quarter?' His response? 'You don't know me and don't know I don't cave to peer pressure. I'm not paying $8 for a hot dog.' What a fn loser.

Well, in fairness to him, you didn't know that he didn't cave to peer pressure. People like that get a big "WTF?!?" in my book. Pretty soon, he'll be on the Boneyard with a moniker that only contains years where we won championships... ("Oh no he didn't!!!") :p

I respect that people have the right to do or not do what they wish to, especially when it's their money and not mine. I guess I just don't understand why on earth someone would spend that type of money to see a sporting event, and then leave before the outcome was decided. It's like eating out at a restaurant, paying for a three course meal, but then leaving the table before the main meal is served....

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
saw the thread on women's board about their big recruit commit Saturday had 6K-plus views. The 'Fire PP' thread is most-viewed here, now pushing 3K. Interesting measure of intensity of interest.
That's mainly because 80% of the threads here are depressing and say the same exact ducking thing. I come on every day and give a cursory glance but haven't been able to actually read all the threads in a couple weeks. It's just the same every day (much like with the football team).

And for the record, I stayed til the end of the game Saturday and will stay to the end of the next two home games. Hell, I'll even be in my seat at kickoff.

Reaction Score
This fan base is what it is. Look at basketball - we have a National Championship quality program, and people still meander in late and hit the exits early. You think that changes just because it's football?? Now way. And NEWSFLASH people: it happens for big time schools too. I've heard of fans of schools like Texas bitching about it (especially for the pricey seats). Also, these people spent thier money and can do what they want. At least they're supporting the program in some fashion. It's so friggin irritating to hear blabbermouths berating people as they leave early. Just STFU and let people do what they want to do and worry about yourself.

Reaction Score
Just STFU and let people do what they want to do and worry about yourself.
We're not talking about smoking pot or same-sex marriage here, John. It's college football. It's supposed to be a large group activity. It's a lot more fun when people don't view it as a place to hang out for a couple of hours. The Rent atmosphere can be great (Baylor and South Florida 07, Pitt 10, etc) but it sucks when you're watching a game in the fourth quarter that is far from decided and have to look around and over the hordes who are leaving. What really stinks is a lot of people with your attitude are the blue-seat folks who are lucky enough to have the kind of disposable income where they can sashay in and out as they please. It's too bad those seats don't go to people based on loyalty and passion. And the 'it happens everywhere' thing is BS. Not too many stadiums in South and Midwest empty out in a tied or one-possession game in the fourth quarter

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
We're not talking about smoking pot or same-sex marriage here, John. It's college football. It's supposed to be a large group activity.

Well said! (and one could argue that the aforementioned exemptions could also be considered "large group activities" as well)...

EDIT: I suppose same-sex marriage cannot be considered a "large group" activity...until it is legalized in Utah...

Reaction Score
We're not talking about smoking pot or same-sex marriage here, John. It's college football. It's supposed to be a large group activity. It's a lot more fun when people don't view it as a place to hang out for a couple of hours. The Rent atmosphere can be great (Baylor and South Florida 07, Pitt 10, etc) but it sucks when you're watching a game in the fourth quarter that is far from decided and have to look around and over the hordes who are leaving. What really stinks is a lot of people with your attitude are the blue-seat folks who are lucky enough to have the kind of disposable income where they can sashay in and out as they please. It's too bad those seats don't go to people based on loyalty and passion. And the 'it happens everywhere' thing is BS. Not too many stadiums in South and Midwest empty out in a tied or one-possession game in the fourth quarter

yeah, yeah, yeah - I was at those games. From start to finish. I've never left a UConn game early, nor arrived after kickoff or tipoff, but I don't begrudge anyone that does. Are you one of those buttheads that berates perfect strangers as they leave?

Reaction Score
Nah Im one of those buttheads that says down in front so I can see the freakin game

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
yeah, yeah, yeah - I was at those games. From start to finish. I've never left a UConn game early, nor arrived after kickoff or tipoff, but I don't begrudge anyone that does. Are you one of those buttheads that berates perfect strangers as they leave?

Nah, I'm guessing he's one of those buttheads who call strangers "buttheads"... :eek:

Reaction Score
And the 'it happens everywhere' thing is BS. Not too many stadiums in South and Midwest empty out in a tied or one-possession game in the fourth quarter

*Texas fans tend to stick around, at least the students do, unless the game is
such a blowout that it's become boring. The alumni, however, are mostly gone
by halftime, regardless of what's happening on the field.

*This is basically what I see at Nebraska games. The big money is out the
door by half, the rest of us are glued to our seats.

*Another way of defining fan: do you have the slightest idea what the score
is, or what the current conference standings are and where your team is
sited in them? Unfortunately, at Georgia the student "fans" had little or
no idea of any of the above; they were so drunk they were vomiting on each
other by the end of the first quarter. I didn't see quite so much of that
at Virginia Tech. I'm fond of both my alma maters, but I'd say Tech fans
were more "fans" than Georgia fans were.
That's a benchmark, incidentally, that one can use to good effect at
baseball games as well. Some folks claim they're "fans" even though they
show up in the middle of the second inning, leave around the seventh inning
stretch, spend all their time standing in the aisles chattering with their
friends, drinking wine our of plastic cups, and pretty much never look in
the direction of the field. All you have to do to puncture their bubble is
casually ask them, oh, how the Red Sox are doing in the standings. If the
Sox are six games out of first and the "fan" says "we're in first, right"
you know you've got a jerkoff on your hands.

*At UNL its not a large percentage, but you can certainly see the club
seating thinning a bit by the middle of the 4th quarter and the older folk
from under the overhang are waddling towards the exits after the half.
*I'd say 5-15% are gone by the start of the 4th. (UTinny)

Reaction Score
Nah, I'm guessing he's one of those buttheads who call strangers "buttheads"... :eek:

Look, I'm not getting in a pissing match with you fellas, since we're probably the same brand of UConn fan. All I'm saying is at least these people shelled out some dinero for the UConn Huskies and are filling a seat for some portion of the game. It's a of a lot better than empty bleachers. If they want to miss exciting ends of games, then be my guest, it'll make it easier for me to leave after my post-game tailgate, not to mention take a piss on the way out of the stadium without standing in line to do so.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Look, I'm not getting in a pissing match with you fellas, since we're probably the same brand of UConn fan. All I'm saying is at least these people shelled out some dinero for the UConn Huskies and are filling a seat for some portion of the game. It's a Fecundity of a lot better than empty bleachers. If they want to miss exciting ends of games, then be my Fecunditying guest, it'll make it easier for me to leave after my post-game tailgate, not to mention take a piss on the way out of the stadium without standing in line to do so.

I hear ya, brother. I've even posted a "people can do what they want with their money" post in this very thread. But is there really a reason to get nasty with other Boneyarders about wanting it to be different? About wanting the atmosphere in the stadium to be one whereby any recruit who steps foot in it says, "I wanna play there!!!"?

Reaction Score
I hear ya, brother. I've even posted a "people can do what they want with their money" post in this very thread. But is there really a reason to get nasty with other Boneyarders about wanting it to be different? About wanting the atmosphere in the stadium to be one whereby any recruit who steps foot in it says, "I wanna play there!!!"?

I apologize if I came of nasty, I wasn't trying to insult anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom