In case you didn't understand it all... | The Boneyard

In case you didn't understand it all...

Status
Not open for further replies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
...here's 40 maps that will help you get some of it.

I get to claim this is not OT because of #17.

I get to be sad because of that, #2 & #6 (among others).

Edit: added the link. Doh!
Cool maps. I agree with #2, just silly we don't use metric.

#6 is a little misleading. I assume this means a government policy. And since we don't (as yet) have government health insurance it's up to the insurance companies. Of which many DO have maternity leave policies, for instance my company does. (I'd have to look at what it is...I started there well after my kids were born.

#5 Can't believe McDonald's isn't in every country. :)

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
- As I grow older, each WCBB off-season, I worry more and more if I have any hope left; any hope I will still somehow find a way to procrastinate from all the work I'm supposed to be doing.
- JRRRJ, my thanks to you,... and indeed your fellow hard-core Boneyard stalwarts, who are doing a magnificent job this summer helping guys like me. The elephant grass growing on my front lawn is living testimony to your success!
...#6 is a little misleading...

- I enjoyed the author's precise color-coded assertion, actually quantifying Somalia's policy. Hopefully the author also informed our State Department exactly where this scholarly effort discovered a government finally representing Somalia. Certainly we've been unable to locate one for decades now, to even begin fundamentally reestablishing an embassy and diplomatic relations. Nevertheless, despite its lack of credibility, there is no question map #6 has pretty colors...:)

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
very cool. I love maps!

Then I presume you've already seen this one. But I'm providing it in case not. Whether it's the "best statistical graphic ever drawn", as Edward Tufte asserts, is debatable. But that it's a great map is not, and it may be my favorite informational map.

A short description of the map and it's data by Tufte, with a smaller image of an English translation below.

A biography of the chart-maker, Charles Joseph Minard.

Sorry, I missed that the page containing the first-linked image has the English translation of the map text down below.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Then I presume you've already seen this one. But I'm providing it in case not. Whether it's the "best statistical graphic ever drawn", as Edward Tufte asserts, is debatable. But that it's a great map is not, and it may be my favorite informational map.

A short description of the map and it's data by Tufte, with a smaller image of an English translation below.

A biography of the chart-maker, Charles Joseph Minard.
French armies. :rolleyes:

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
You realize, JR, your fellow test-takers will hate you when this is transformed
into an upcoming test.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The Borg originated in Sicily? Go figure.
map-of-most-common-surnames-in-europe.jpg

Reaction Score
Nice, interesting
Yes, and, unfortunately, sometimes foolish or misleading.

The depiction of things so simplistically guarantees misinformation. Take the case of the "overpaid" coaches. You DO know that the universities involved often pay only 20% or so of those salaries, right? In other words, Joe Taxpayer can relax.

The balance comes from boosters and advertising contracts.

I started a clock when the big hubbub about Jim Calhoun's pay flared up a few years back. ESPN repeatedly misinformed millions of people on the topic for weeks. We have dummies in our media who rarely bother to check the facts. Or maybe they don't want to talk about the facts because it doesn't make for exciting arguments among sportscasters.

The truth was finally aired on a public radio news program run by a woman, whose interview with a female sports writer spelled the facts out clearly.

Men ... hang your heads in shame.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score

The depiction of things so simplistically guarantees misinformation. Take the case of the "overpaid" coaches. You DO know that the universities involved often pay only 20% or so of those salaries, right? In other words, Joe Taxpayer can relax.

I started a clock when the big hubbub about Jim Calhoun's pay flared up a few years back. ESPN repeatedly misinformed millions of people on the topic for weeks. We have dummies in our media who rarely bother to check the facts. Or maybe they don't want to talk about the facts because it doesn't make for exciting arguments among sportscasters.

The truth was finally aired on a public radio news program run by a woman, whose interview with a female sports writer spelled the facts out clearly.

Yes, whenever one uses a simplified model of reality, one has to be concerned about over-simplification (cf. Einstein).

However, I think your specific complaint is doubly off-base.

First, the map title is US Map of the Highest Paid Public Employees by State. The term "overpaid" is your word, not theirs.

Second, the graph doesn't identify the amount, so we do not know whether they used the total compensation or simply the publicly funded portion. I would guess that Calhoun was the highest paid public employee based upon taxpayer funded compensation alone. If that isn't the case, then you have a point.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Not sure how straight that line in #38 is, unless perhaps it's an unsuccessful sobriety test walk from Pakistan to Siberia. And what is that thing called the metric, and should we be knowing something anything about it? Maybe it's the great Canadian band that's being referred to, but its music like "Help, I'm Alive" definitely gets some use here.

Great set of maps.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
The Borg originated in Sicily? Go figure.
map-of-most-common-surnames-in-europe.jpg
Yes, it all started there when Warner broke down there with transmission problems and torq transfer occurred. From that point on assimilation took off like a turbocharger.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score

Much discussion on these points on the original map page. (All such sites are linked from the aggregation page I published.)

One salient point is it doesn't matter how much money comes from the general fund vs. donations, % of revenue generated, etc. as long as the total base salary is guaranteed, as it almost always is. It doesn't matter whether the coach gets paid before or after the funds hit the general till.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
Not sure how straight that line in #38 is, unless perhaps it's an unsuccessful sobriety test walk from Pakistan to Siberia. And what is that thing called the metric, and should we be knowing something anything about it? Maybe it's the great Canadian band that's being referred to, but its music like "Help, I'm Alive" definitely gets some use here.

Great set of maps.

Not sure if you're joshing, but in regard to the straight line, run the animation below the map to see that the sinusoid really is a straight line on a sphere.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
Yes, it all started there when Warner broke down there with transmission problems and torq transfer occurred. From that point on assimilation took off like a turbocharger.
You keep changing gears on us....

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
I really can't believe no one has commented on this one yet. There's so much fodder there:

39. Map of Europe Showing Literal Chinese Translations for Country Names

literal-map-of-europe-by-chinese-name.jpg

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Not sure if you're joshing, but in regard to the straight line, run the animation below the map to see that the sinusoid really is a straight line on a sphere.
Ah, that helps. Thanks for pointing out the tool to click. So it's the earth as it really is and not how we draw it.

As to map 39, I think everyone is a bit nonplussed. I take it that it's the funniest "homophone?" translated representation of the Chinese words for a country, since any Chinese word like wang can mean go, lame, die, absurd, network, deceive, ooze, rickety person, etc. Sort of like a movie being translated from English into Chinese and back into fractured English?

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
Ah, that helps. Thanks for pointing out the tool to click. So it's the earth as it really is and not how we draw it.

As to map 39, I think everyone is a bit nonplussed. I take it that it's the funniest "homophone?" translated representation of the Chinese words for a country, since any Chinese word like wang can mean go, lame, die, absurd, network, deceive, ooze, rickety person, etc. Sort of like a movie being translated from English into Chinese and back into fractured English?

Click on the link under map #39 to learn some Chinese words and culture. The discussion is easily understandable and sounds quite erudite on the matter, though I know pretty close to zero Mandarin. But yes, the characters were translated literally and they were chosen by the Chinese because they sound like the name in the country's native tongue.

The page doesn't say what algorithm was used to choose the particular meanings on the map.

Reaction Score
Yes, whenever one uses a simplified model of reality, one has to be concerned about over-simplification (cf. Einstein).

However, I think your specific complaint is doubly off-base.

First, the map title is US Map of the Highest Paid Public Employees by State. The term "overpaid" is your word, not theirs.

Second, the graph doesn't identify the amount, so we do not know whether they used the total compensation or simply the publicly funded portion. I would guess that Calhoun was the highest paid public employee based upon taxpayer funded compensation alone. If that isn't the case, then you have a point.

The clear implication of the map (and a propagandistic one, too) is that they shouldn't be the highest paid employees. Unfortunately for your argument, they are NOT the highest state-paid employees, so you lose doubly.

In Connecticut, the highest paid state employee at the time of the Calhoun kerfuffle was the brain neurologist at UConn who headed the Medical School (or some other weighty post) at about $950,000 per annum, paid, I believe, by the taxpayers. Calhoun got about $350,000 from the state and another $1.3 mil or so from ads approved by the Athletic Dept. and not a penny of which came from the UConn budget nor from the State of Connecticut's taxpayers.

Were you out of the country during The Great Jim Calhoun Salary Flap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom