IMO UCONN looked very beatable on Sunday | Page 3 | The Boneyard

IMO UCONN looked very beatable on Sunday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
jsloanjr doesn't like to stir the pot but it would appear that indulging in it is more to his/her liking.

That being said, TBS acknowledged what Geno would be focusing on next practice -- which is the measure of a good student and a better teacher: they understand what was successful and they recognize where they need to improve.

With all that, they never were threatened by the #4 team in the country....
Turner Broadcasting had an interview with Geno?

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Why? And says who? The commentators are just filling air time (???). They could say whatever they want. They're under no obligation to stroke our egos as fans. Should they have just said Louisville is going to get better, but so is UConn, so don't bother tuning in next time because the result will be the same? UConn has beaten up on everyone they've played. It's kind of pointless to say they're going to get better. That's like saying water is going to get more wet.

They are under obligation (theoretically at least) to call the game - you know - the plays, who's in, who's out, current stats, who fouled whom and so on. Instead we get 'ladies at 2 hour lunch gab fest' - I am surprised that the camera isn't more focused on them. So much action goes on on the floor, yet they are up there doing their nails and gossiping about gabbing about anything other than what is going on the floor. Filling the air time indeed. :mad:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
They are under obligation (theoretically at least) to call the game - you know - the plays, who's in, who's out, current stats, who fouled whom and so on. Instead we get 'ladies at 2 hour lunch gab fest' - I am surprised that the camera isn't more focused on them. So much action goes on on the floor, yet they are up there doing their nails and gossiping about gabbing about anything other than what is going on the floor. Filling the air time indeed. :mad:
I blame John Madden. He lived in an alternate universe where people tuned in to hear the announcer and couldn't care less what was going on in the game,

Reaction Score
They might have looked beatable, but following Uconn's response to a margin of 5 points, there was no doubt. Sure Uconn could lose, but with a healthy KML contributing the entire game, the only team with a real chance to beat Uconn is Notre Dame.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Personally, in the half I got to see I thought they looked very in control and not threatened at all.

Reaction Score
Well said. So here is my question: Men and women tend to be equally deserving of blame about a huge variety of faults, but this particular gab-fest problem seems to lie at the feet of female broadcasters more than their male counterparts. I call it the Mary Carillo Syndrome. Do you think that broadcast sports journalism remains sufficiently in the infancy stage of gender parity that the women still feel some kind of need to overcompensate by filling airtime at the expense of reporting the action? Someone can drain a nice three and get zero recognition for having done so if some lady is in the middle of making a useless point.

Last edited:

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
There are plenty of men guilty of let's forget the game and talk about something, too.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Actually, the Huskies DID look beatable, but not as beatable as ND and not NEARLY a beatable as the rest of wcbb! :cool:

Reaction Score
He did not call the dogs off at the 7-minute mark, as the post-game interviews with the coaches and Stewie made clear. The team stopped playing well at that point, fortunately with a 22-point lead. Even playing relatively poorly, they still won by 17. Louisville outscored UConn in the last 7 minutes by 14-9, which should not have happened but certainly was within the realm of plausible outcomes.

I don't think the game was really in doubt. Both the offense and defense were working as designed (UConn shot 49+%, Louisville 36% -- both near UConn's averages for FG% and FG% against). The 17-point margin was probably about right for the difference between the two teams. It would not surprise me to see a 10-12 point UConn win in Louisville, which would also seem to be about right.
I'm always amazed in these broadcasts where in the case of Louisville, they talk about what a disadvantage that they didn't have Bria Smith available and another girl who also has a health issue but there is often little or nothing said about that fact that Morgan is out, that KML had a serious shooting arm issue that's slowed her down significantly and that Brianna Banks hasn't played a couple of games due to persistent ankle issues. We have a far shorter bench then most teams as a result but we're hearing that there will be a load of difference when we play at Louisville. Maybe that difference will be that UConn has KML for the entire game as well as BB and we shoot significantly better than we did on Sunday. Maybe our defense is even more effective, holding Louisville under 32% which is closer to our norm, isn't it????

Reaction Score
I am not stirring the pot at all. It was my opinion after watching the game..be honest with your post not just drink the Kool-aide.I did not say UCONN should have lost, but that was not there best performance on Sunday....Do not ignore the truth PAP49cba

Put down your pomp pomps...
What is a pomp pomp????? By the way, with UConn having an off game, they beat a Top 5 team by 17 points. Can't wait for them to be on their game.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I'm always amazed in these broadcasts where in the case of Louisville, they talk about what a disadvantage that they didn't have Bria Smith available and another girl who also has a health issue but there is often little or nothing said about that fact that Morgan is out, that KML had a serious shooting arm issue that's slowed her down significantly and that Brianna Banks hasn't played a couple of games due to persistent ankle issues. We have a far shorter bench then most teams as a result but we're hearing that there will be a load of difference when we play at Louisville. Maybe that difference will be that UConn has KML for the entire game as well as BB and we shoot significantly better than we did on Sunday. Maybe our defense is even more effective, holding Louisville under 32% which is closer to our norm, isn't it????

It is a bigger deal for Louisville to have Smith out because UCONN's starting 5 is so damn good. Hard to make UCONN's situation seem desperate.

Reaction Score
It is a bigger deal for Louisville to have Smith out because UCONN's starting 5 is so damn good. Hard to make UCONN's situation seem desperate.
Agree. Not having Banks is a non-factor. She's what 2nd or 3rd off the bench? Not having Tuck is a bigger deal, but again, she's another bench player. Bria Smith is Louisville's starting point guard. Imagine UConn without Jefferson or Hartley.

Reaction Score
Well said. So here is my question: Men and women tend to be equally deserving of blame about a huge variety of faults, but this particular gab-fest problem seems to lie at the feet of female broadcasters more than their male counterparts. I call it the Mary Carillo Syndrome. Do you think that broadcast sports journalism remains sufficiently in the infancy stage of gender parity that the women still feel some kind of need to overcompensate by filling airtime at the expense of reporting the action? Someone can drain a nice three and get zero recognition for having done so if some lady is in the middle of making a useless point.

The key difference is this: do the announcers have a radio background. Radio imposes a discipline on announcers that tv lacks. Radio, the announcers voice is the only way a listener has of knowing what's going on. TV, pictures allow the announcer to ramble off topic while the viewer can remain reasonably informed about the game. Since attention to wbb, and dedicated wbb announcers, emerged in the era of massively cabled/satellited tv, a much smaller percentage of the announcers will have the benefit of the radio background. Thus, announcing of the women's game will tend to be less focused, less disciplined, than in the men's game where radio backgrounds will tend to be more prevalent (but are also slowly disappearing.)

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
I am not stirring the pot at all. It was my opinion after watching the game..be honest with your post not just drink the Kool-aide.I did not say UCONN should have lost, but that was not there best performance on Sunday....Do not ignore the truth PAP49cba

Put down your pomp pomps...

What is a pomp pomp????? By the way, with UConn having an off game, they beat a Top 5 team by 17 points. Can't wait for them to be on their game.

D0n't listen to him! Pump up your pomp pomps!!!!!!!!!!

PompPompMixTape.jpg

Reaction Score

Huh??????????????

One of UCONN starters - a former 1st team all-american missed the 2nd half - unless you want to call what she was doing "playing." So we ddin't have our starting 5. And ofc Banks.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Huh??????????????

One of UCONN starters - a former 1st team all-american missed the 2nd half - unless you want to call what she was doing "playing." So we ddin't have our starting 5. And ofc Banks.

You have Stewart, Hartley, Jefferson and Dolson to pick up the slack. UCONN is better able to absorb the loss of a player than is Louisville.

Reaction Score
UCONN was SO beatable that with 6 players playing well 5.5 the number 4 team in the country couldn't beat them :rolleyes:

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
L'ville was just more beatable, that's all.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
You have Stewart, Hartley, Jefferson and Dolson to pick up the slack. UCONN is better able to absorb the loss of a player than is Louisville.

ETT, foul trouble and injuries can spell problems especially with a short bench. Yes, we are talented - but a short bench can be trouble - and as to having "Stewart, Hartley, Jefferson and Dolson to pick up the pack", you can't play basketball with only 4 on the floor

Reaction Score
BTW, I did not see the game live, but it just seemed that if Louisville could have hit a few more shots the Big MO might have turned. Our post players seemd very slow to the ball in the paint and the help defense was missing. How many rebounds did UCONN miss becuse of being out of position or Louisville wanted it more? Rebounding is ATTITUDE and TOUGHNESS.I am sure geno will address this this week. But, it was a good win by 17 points against a very good Louisvulle team....They did not play their "A" game either. Plus, they were missin Bria Smith?...March 3rd should be fun.

Breanna was awesome and so was MO Jeff.Sunday was not our best game and if they play like that in a few weeks in KY, we are in trouble....I am praying for KML's speedy recovery this week...Time is on our side.
Nonsense. UConn was killing the Ville on teh boards. Louisville actually played extremely well and hit well over 50% of their OPEN shots. The defense was stifling and didn't allow many OPEN shots, but credit Louisville for making them. A good number of them were Hammonds and Taylor jump shots. If you're going to give up a shot, those are the shots to give up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom