If you were a Point Guard why would you want to play in Hurley's offense? | The Boneyard

If you were a Point Guard why would you want to play in Hurley's offense?

Reaction Score
If you were an elite Point Guard why would you want to come to play at UConn with the offense that Hurley currently runs?

I have my own opinions, but I would like to hear other peoples thoughts

Reaction Score
If you were an elite Point Guard why would you want to come to play at UConn with the offense that Hurley currently runs?

There are 40 minutes available at the position and UConn is a name brand in a good basketball conference. Not sure how much Hurley's system has to do with it, given that we're talking about the point guard position, which will have the ball every possession regardless. Admittedly, though, I don't know anything about the finer points of basketball Xs and Os.

pj

Reaction Score
You get to lead a talented group of teammates against top-tier competition, and have a chance to be a top 10 team and compete for national championships. You trust the coaches to work out the offense.

The offensive struggles were more a product of poor roster construction than of lack of ability to coach offense. The roster was too limited, one-dimensional, and easy to defend. The addition of shooters (Hawkins, Floyd, Karaban; Castle and maybe Griffiths to follow) and a crafty point guard like yourself will work wonders.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Well Hurley said he wants to play 4 out. He also coaches a team that has sent many players to the NBA, has incredible facilities, MBB is BMOC, there is an absurd amount of play time available, they play in the big east. There are tons of reasons, he likely wont even have to sell it that hard.....

Reaction Score
Because you are guaranteed unlimited minutes surrounded by multiple NBA talents. Top 25 team, Big East, and Hurley just said he wants to change up the system and run a proper 4 out offense.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Our PG who graduated led the big east in minutes and his 2 backups transferred out?

At any rate I hope we bring in a bigger PG 6’3+ because shooting over Cole at the top was a play that was effective. Hate giving up size at any position.

Reaction Score
Our PG who graduated led the big east in minutes and his 2 backups transferred out?

At any rate I hope we bring in a bigger PG 6’3+ because shooting over Cole at the top was a play that was effective. Hate giving up size at any position.
And I'll add our starting point was first team all BE and led our team in pts & assists. Maybe that's not enticing enough?

I get that some here are so down on UConn that they would advise all transfers and recruits to steer clear. I'll not happy with losing in the first round especially 2 years in a row but UConn has improved every year under Hurley. I'm in a wait and see when evaluating next year's team. I suspect we'll have some struggles early but improve as the season progresses. A lot depends on our young guys performing. The fact that CFjr and Karaban have been here for a semester gives me some confidence that they are more advanced than had they not arrived until this summer.

Reaction Score

This is odd. The offense design is good. They move the ball, they set screens, they have a low post option and 3 point shooters.

They also want to , allegedly, push the tempo. They run nba sets and everything .

Unless you count Adama Sanogo and post play as a negative factor, I do t know where this is coming from .

Hurley runs very good offense. The designs are good.

Reaction Score

1. We're coming off a season in which the transfer all-conference PG scored 16 PPG, played 33.5 MPG, and largely was given freedom in the offense.
2. There is a point forward on the roster that allows the PG to slide off ball quite often.
3. There are tons of minutes available.
4. The Company has a top tier big man to play through.
5. It's a top tier Big Easy program with great facilities.
6. Hurley has indicated he wants to move to a modern 4-out offense.

Do I need to continue?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
All the stuff everybody already said plus you have a stud center to get the ball in to who can help you pad your assist stat line.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
It made Cole an all-conference first teamer. The problem wasn't Hurley's offense, it was talent and execution.

They executed, they beat Nova. They didn't and they lost.

Reaction Score

If you weren't a fan of UConn, why would you bother to try to troll it's message board? I have my opinions, but I would like to hear other people's thoughts.

Reaction Score
uconn GIF by SB Nation

Reaction Score
DH has stated the offensive scheme is going to be different going forward. Four and out. Previous offensive schemes were a function of the talent available on the roster. That's changing with talent upgrades.

Better OP wording could have been. Why at UConn? Multiple reasons that have been already stated.

I'm sure there is some consideration by the staff as to how filling the open(guard) spots fits with the arrival of Castle in '23 season but we all know that there is a strong history of UConn playing two PGs/CGs in the same lineup -sharing the ballhandling responsibilities. Four and out makes it even more intriguing. Re portal.. Upperclass/Grad level? or Decommits/Underclass? for roster considerations.

Final note to prospective PGs.. Can you walk the walk? The bright lights are on for PGs at UConn.

Reaction Score
DH has stated the offensive scheme is going to be different going forward. Four and out. Previous offensive schemes were a function of the talent available on the roster. That's changing with talent upgrades.

Better OP wording could have been. Why at UConn? Multiple reasons that have been already stated.

I'm sure there is some consideration by the staff as to how filling the open(guard) spots fits with the arrival of Castle in '23 season but we all know that there is a strong history of UConn playing two PGs/CGs in the same lineup -sharing the ballhandling responsibilities. Four and out makes it even more intriguing. Re portal.. Upperclass/Grad level? or Decommits/Underclass? for roster considerations.

Final note to prospective PGs.. Can you walk the walk? The bright lights are on for PGs at UConn.

We've always played a 4 out offense, we just didn't have the shooters to stretch the defense.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom