If you think it's bad this year..... | The Boneyard

If you think it's bad this year.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Wait till next year. Our defense will take major hit. We could easily lose 7 games by 30 or more.

Reaction Score
I don't think so. We have some pretty good players lined up on the depth chart on D. We'll lose significnat experience at the corner's and strong/weak LB's, but that's offset with the significnat gains in experience that we've got in the safeties, and up front, d/t injuries on the line this year.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I don't think so either. especially if Jesse Joseph is awarded another year, here's who we'll have back:

DE: Joseph, Willman, Pruitt, Norris.
DT: Campenni, Stephen, Myers, Knappe.
LB: Smallwood, Stewart, Donohue, Vann, Clax, Hicks.
CB: Mack, Stevenson, Jhavon Williams, Tyree Clark
Saf: Andrew Adams, Ty-meer Brown, Byron Jones, Wilbert Lee, Melifonwu, Marder

Admittedly, we lose a lot on the corners. But I would think that we would convert one or more of our safeties over to corner, and everything I hear about Stevenson is that he will be a good one. Mack has to get better, but I think he will. For me, the big questions are still on the Offensive Line...

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Wait till next year. Our defense will take major hit. We could easily lose 7 games by 30 or more.

I agree. Edsall sure left a mess behind when he left.

pj

Reaction Score
I don't think so either.... For me, the big questions are still on the Offensive Line...

Yes. Haven't seen any signs that next year's line will be better than this year's. Although with Masters out, we might be seeing next year's line this year.

Reaction Score
I don't think so either. especially if Jesse Joseph is awarded another year, here's who we'll have back:

DE: Joseph, Willman, Pruitt, Norris.
DT: Campenni, Stephen, Myers, Knappe.
LB: Smallwood, Stewart, Donohue, Vann, Clax, Hicks.
CB: Mack, Stevenson, Jhavon Williams, Tyree Clark
Saf: Andrew Adams, Ty-meer Brown, Byron Jones, Wilbert Lee, Melifonwu, Marder

Admittedly, we lose a lot on the corners. But I would think that we would convert one or more of our safeties over to corner, and everything I hear about Stevenson is that he will be a good one. Mack has to get better, but I think he will. For me, the big questions are still on the Offensive Line...
Throw Graham Stewart in the LB mix, transfer from Florida this kid is a monster...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Yes. Haven't seen any signs that next year's line will be better than this year's. Although with Masters out, we might be seeing next year's line this year.

The way I'm looking at it is this: this is the worst I have seen the UConn offensive line in a long, long time....and we are losing 2 starters from it!!! I am really hoping that we see great improvements in one year's time from Cruz, Samra, Rugg, and Gifford, as well as from the starters that return (Mateas, Bullock, Friend, Greene). If those eight can get much much better with one year of growth, then there is hope next year. If not? I will buy stock in Jameson's.....

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Throw Graham Stewart in the LB mix, transfer from Florida this kid is a monster...

Woof, look at my LB list. He's listed second...

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score

what your the one going around saying how warde will take care of business this winter with the coaches.
next year we lose a couple great D players but adams has shown he will step up, we have burlingame ready to play asap from dean, joseph will be back now and if we land hush then thats another big time juco add on d. also we have graham stewart just foaming at the mouth to play. who knows about sylva at dean or wilbert or others stepping up. i'm not worried about the D next year. will they be as good? prob not but its not going to look like WVU out there.

on O we will have a OC who is not half dead first off, whitmer-phillips-davis-frank-mccombs i have faith in with a different staff not to mention others and recruits coming in. the only question is how good can the OL get in time...

Reaction Score
I don't think so. We have some pretty good players lined up on the depth chart on D. We'll lose significnat experience at the corner's and strong/weak LB's, but that's offset with the significnat gains in experience that we've got in the safeties, and up front, d/t injuries on the line this year.

Look what has happened to our defense this year with some special talent Do you think you can just plug in 2 CB's and 2 LB's and be fine?

They are exceptional talent.

The DT position, outside of Stephen, is unknown. The DE position doesn't excite me all that much either.....meaning no apparent super stars. If our DT's can't get pressure the DE 's are gonna struggle along with the LB's.

With our offense not projected to improve dramatically the defense will struggle, especially with very little depth. To think we will go injury free on defense is not being realisitc.

I hope I'm wrong but.......

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
what your the one going around saying how warde will take care of business this winter with the coaches.
next year we lose a couple great D players but adams has shown he will step up, we have burlingame ready to play asap from dean, joseph will be back now and if we land hush then thats another big time juco add on d. also we have graham stewart just foaming at the mouth to play. who knows about sylva at dean or wilbert or others stepping up. i'm not worried about the D next year. will they be as good? prob not but its not going to look like WVU out there.

on O we will have a OC who is not half dead first off, whitmer-phillips-davis-frank-mccombs i have faith in with a different staff not to mention others and recruits coming in. the only question is how good can the OL get in time...

Agreed. Hey, HFD, is it definite now that Jesse Joseph is going to be back next year? Did I miss him getting awarded the extra year? I'm hoping...

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Agreed. Hey, HFD, is it definite now that Jesse Joseph is going to be back next year? Did I miss him getting awarded the extra year? I'm hoping...

no its not def but after reading about it several times and how the rs rules work, i think its safe to say he will be back. unless of course this staff fucks it up.

Reaction Score

If GDL is gone and hopefully Foley goes back to the OL then I think we see improvement there. Whitmer has shown he can play and I think a simplified blocking scheme would get us back too power running with a more than adequate passing game.

The offense is not as bad as they seem. They just have zero faith in GDL.

To think the defense is going to be equal or better than this year's defense is not being realistic.

Experience just can't be replaced with youth and stay the same. We ain't Alabama.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Look what has happened to our defense this year with some special talent Do you think you can just plug in 2 CB's and 2 LB's and be fine?

They are exceptional talent.

The DT position, outside of Stephen, is unknown. The DE position doesn't excite me all that much either.....meaning no apparent super stars. If our DT's can't get pressure the DE 's are gonna struggle along with the LB's.

With our offense not projected to improve dramatically the defense will struggle, especially with very little depth. To think we will go injury free on defense is not being realisitc.

I hope I'm wrong but.......

No doubt, losing those two corners is going to be big. But the DT's (Campenni, Myers) have seen a lot of time, or at least, that's what I thought. Donohue has seen time on the LB's and I am of course extrapolating Stewart's time from Florida (special teams, mostly, but probably saw LB in practice). We now have good safety depth, and I'm assuming that some of that will push over to the CB position to cover for the losses...

Reaction Score

I thought you were going to say "wait until the second half of the season". As unfortunate as the season has been, we've go the toughest stretch ahead. I'm looking at every game as the superbowl from here on out, just hoping for another win or two to make things respectable.

Reaction Score
The defense is going to miss Gratz and Wilson. They are NFL roster level corner backs, their play allows for a lot of the blitzing don brown likes, as the season has progressed, you've seen teams attack the middle of the field against us rather than go after our corners consistently.

Reaction Score
Now I know why we're taking the year off in 2014...

Reaction Score
The way I'm looking at it is this: this is the worst I have seen the UConn offensive line in a long, long time....and we are losing 2 starters from it!!! I am really hoping that we see great improvements in one year's time from Cruz, Samra, Rugg, and Gifford, as well as from the starters that return (Mateas, Bullock, Friend, Greene). If those eight can get much much better with one year of growth, then there is hope next year. If not? I will buy stock in Jameson's.....

Richard Levy will be a redshirt freshmen next season and he's 6'5 317 lbs from Trenton, NJ

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Next year's OOC schedule is much more difficult too. Maryland and Michigan are probably two losses, even at home. At Buffalo doesn't even look guaranteed at this point, given our lack of improvement at this point and the game a few weeks ago that UB hung around for so long. It seems that everybody in our conference has leapfrogged us in terms of talent, momentum, recruiting (not that we were ever on top of this), execution, motivation, etc...

Reaction Score
no its not def but after reading about it several times and how the rs rules work, i think its safe to say he will be back. unless of course this staff Fecunditys it up.

He's back if he wants to be.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
There are certainly some players on the roster. But this is a 3-4 win team and the schedule is much tougher. Just losing T Williams, Gratz and Wilson puts them behind the 8-ball. It would take a conference coach of year effort to get this team to a bowl next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom