If you could have ANY active college coach, who would you want and why? | The Boneyard

If you could have ANY active college coach, who would you want and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I know there have been quite a few posts about who you would want to take over when JC hangs 'em up. As I replied to that latest one wondering if I really had any strong convictions for any one or two attainable candidates, this topic popped into my head.

What I'm asking is, if you could have any active college coach, regardless if there was little to no chance of getting him, who would you want and why? I'm sure each of us will have a different criteria. Mine is to have a coach that would not only win here at UConn, but have a personality I like and a style of play that I enjoy watching. I don't want someone who's going to run a Princeton type offense. I don't want some arrogant SOB.

That last one might sound strange considering JC is out tough SOB and comes across abrasive to a lot of folks. He adds so much to the entire package such as an incredible contagious will to win and never back down attitude. He's loyal to his guys. Note that not all that come to UConn end up JC endeared, but the ones that aren't are the ones that can't handle his tough love. He's a great teacher of the game and has shown his ability to adapt to the personnel he has most years. I'm occasionally critical with him in this area on occasion. I thought the primary offense (dribble penetration) he ran last season didn't fit the team particularly well and a more motion offense would have been better, but the fact is he's won 3 NCs and I've never won a single college game. But all-in-all, he's done well at adapting on both ends of the floor and has even changed his recruiting profile as his coaching experience has developed.

Getting back to my criteria, I want a coach that cares a lot about UConn and his players. I prefer one that likes a transition style of offense and recruits for it, but also stresses both transition and half-court defense. I want a coach who has contagious toughness and will to win, something that I've respected JC throughout the years. I've seen way too many coaches that you can tell when they are broken on the side line when things aren't going well, where the team then tends to follow.

If there is one thing IMO that defines Husky hoops, it's toughness. It doesn't bother me nearly as much when a team beats us because they are more talented, as it does when a team beats us because the wanted it more and out-willed and out-hustled us.

I want a coach that holds his players accountable for the little things, such as boxing out, fighting over screens, diving for loose balls, squaring to the basket when shooting, especially inside. It drives me nuts when I see some post players never learn to square their shoulders to the basket when in the paint. Oriakhi is a perfect example of a kid who was here for 3 years and still continued to take off-balance shots where his body is often at poor angles to the basket. As boring as Tim Duncan often looks, he's a player who learned how to get his body in the right balance and angle. You'd think players would get this after a year or two...but I digress.

As to who I'd want regardless how attainable he might be...hum...I gotta put some thought into it. Oh, and picking JC, as much as many of us would like to, is not an option. One cannot replace oneself.

So any takers on this topic?

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
I'll take Jim Calhoun.

prob the zaga coach or donovan...

Reaction Score
Billy Donovan, somewhat young, has already won, style of play

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
Actually, Calipari wouldn't leave UK to come here. I'd go with Mike D'Antoni former NY Knicks coach. He's probably looking for a job.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Tom Izzo. No question.

Izzo is very similar to Calhoun. Preaches the same principles... defense and rebounding. Always has his teams playing their best basketball by March.
He doesn't always land the big stud recruits but develops his kids better than most.
Has done more with less than any coach over the past decade.

His final4 appearances speaks volumes about what the guy can do.

Classy, stand-up guy as well.

Only possible gripe with Izzo is that he only has one Championship.

Reaction Score
I really think the 2 options are a name coach, someone like a Sean Miller or Donovan, for whom you will pay a lot, but likely get a proven comodity, or an up and coming star, who you hope to keep for a long time as the next "UCONN Basketball Coach" When you look at the first group, Miller stand out to me. And if you're willing to risk more NCAA sanctions, and turn the rprogram into a 1-and-done NBA D-league team, Calipari. For the right money he'd come. Among the 2nd group, I think Brad Stevens and Shaka Smart are 1 and 1A. I personally prefer Smart who seems to me like a younger version of Jim Calhoun. career 84-27, CBI champions his first season. Final Four his 2nd season. Round of 32 his 3rd season. Teeams play tough defense. yes they press and better players won't be bothered doing that, but early Calhoun teams did too. He'll adjust. Remember, he lost his best player, Sanders to the NBA, from the 2009-10 team yet still managed to get to the final four. its one thing for a UCONN to adjust to the loss of its leading scorer and rebounder and bounce back, but we're talking Virginia Commonwealth here. Guy can flat our coach.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Tom Izzo. No question.

Izzo is very similar to Calhoun. Preaches the same principles... defense and rebounding. Always has his teams playing their best basketball by March.
He doesn't always land the big stud recruits but develops his kids better than most.

Izzo or Donovan would be my picks. If Izzo was younger it would be easy.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Izzo or Donovan would be my picks. If Izzo was younger it would be easy.
I might add Roy Williams too to those guys. He can recruit and his resume of UNC and KU is about as good as anyone's. Izzo is tremendously successful and Donovan can coach.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
i need to see shaka go a couple years with his own recruited players before im 100% in on him. anthony grant...

Reaction Score
Ive said this before but if Uconn decides to hire outside the family then my first choice would be Sean Miller.

1. Hes a Big East and an east coast guy
2. The situation would be similar to when he took over at Arizona trying to rebuild a program after a great coach.
3. The guy has had success already at this level.
4. Miller can recruit...take a look at the kids he has coming in this fall. Derek Williams wasnt too bad of a recruit either.

I dont know why people arent talking about him as a serious candidate to replace Calhoun. If offered i think he would take the job in a second.

Reaction Score
Actually, Calipari wouldn't leave UK to come here. I'd go with Mike D'Antoni former NY Knicks coach. He's probably looking for a job.
Did you even look at the criteria? The title read "Any active college coach" and I explained how this was different than the many other threads that was asking about attainable coaches, in that who do you like regardless if they were attainable or not. I did get a kick out of your D'Antoni...looking for a job comment.

As for the Squid, if it wasn't for all those vacated F-4s, some of his problematic associations, bad blood with UConn and his pun-ass personality, I'd love to have him here too. He's a heck of a coach on many levels. He's had a lot of success with talent challenged and stocked teams alike. Of course, he's not about to leave UK to go to UConn, nor would I imagine the program would want any part of him considering the NCAA issues we've had to endure the past few years.

Reaction Score
I might add Roy Williams too to those guys. He can recruit and his resume of UNC and KU is about as good as anyone's. Izzo is tremendously successful and Donovan can coach.
I've thought about Roy. He's a heck of a recruiter, but I often wonder if he tends to do less with more compared to more with less. He seems to only win when he has over-the-top talent, and even so, has not gotten the job done when he's had the best or one of the best teams talent wise. I love his offensive style of play, but his teams rarely play the lock-down D you need to win games when your offense happens to struggle. It just seems that more teams cut down the nets that were able to make up for a bad offensive performance or two during the tournament compared to teams that were able to make up for bad defensive performances by out-shooting their opponent. It's not like I'd throw him out the door if hypothetically he was walking through our door, but he's just not my top choice.

I love a lot about Izzo, but not the whole package. Like JC his kids play their hearts out for him. Like JC, his offense is sometime unimaginative and lacking in-game adjustments. Izzo is a class act. Clearly has the personality that would be embraced here at CT. There aren't many teams that play as tough man half-court D as MSU and UConn. His teams tend to rebound better than UConn teams. I'd probably prefer a more advanced offensive coach. Of course, he'd never leave MSU to come here. Just in case folks haven't got it just yet, this is not about coaches that are attainable, but who each of us like, think would be a good fit and why.

Many seem to like Donovan. I too think he would be a good fit for many reasons. He'd probably get a lot more money elsewhere, but if he happened to need a change of scenery, he would be a nice get. He's had a great deal of success (The last to have back-to-back NCs if I'm not mistaken) and is still relatively young.

Reaction Score
Ive said this before but if Uconn decides to hire outside the family then my first choice would be Sean Miller.

1. Hes a Big East and an east coast guy
2. The situation would be similar to when he took over at Arizona trying to rebuild a program after a great coach.
3. The guy has had success already at this level.
4. Miller can recruit...take a look at the kids he has coming in this fall. Derek Williams wasnt too bad of a recruit either.

I dont know why people arent talking about him as a serious candidate to replace Calhoun. If offered i think he would take the job in a second.
Along with Donovan, Miller seems like a frequent choice. I haven't seen enough of his games to draw a solid conclusion, but his recruiting has been getting better and he's won a lot of games. Took on a program in shambles and is rising it out of the ashes...granted it was a short lived and recent death...but nonetheless he's gotten them back on track the past few years. They came one play short of beating us and going to -4 two years ago.

Like Donovan, he's young and can recruit. I'm just not sure how advanced his offensive strategies are concerned. I think my perception of his D is tainted by the run-and-gun style of the past. Zona doesn't seem like the prototypical Pac-10 program that is high octane offense with defense as an afterthought.

What I find interesting about this topic is how many programs are out there but how few coaches come to mind. I here and think, "If Coach-X was able to get whatever players he wanted that would fit his style of play, he'd be the guy who could win a lot of NCs." No single Coach-X comes to mind. I guess that's why it is so hard for any coach to win multiple NCs. Only a few active coaches have done it, and I believe JC has the most NCs (3) in the last dozen or so years. Izzo is king of -4. He's often reached -4 with teams that didn't appear to have F-4 talent. It does make you wonder if he had a little better talent, how many more NCs he would have. Contrast that to Coach K and Roy, who load up on Burger AAs year after year, with what I consider underwhelming results.

Reaction Score
As I think more about this and read the responses, I'm a little surprised there isn't at least one name that we all or at least most of us all jump on and say, "Yeah, that's the guy!" I have often wondered how many NCs JC would have if was able to get more of the Plan-A recruits he's gone after. No coach wins all the recruiting battles, but as good as he has done in recruiting, he hasn't nearly had the recruiting success as Roy or Coach K have had as far as getting the kids he wanted most.

Imagine if he had landed Lawson and one or two of UNC recruits (Ellington and/or Thompson) that JC wanted? Then again, he's swung and missed on some Plan-A recruits in the past and had to settle for players like Emeka, Kemba, etc. So I guess you can't have it both ways.

I guess if I was to narrow it down to one coach, Donovan, seems like the best fit I can come up with. He's often recruited well, though since his back-to-back NCs has aimed high and lost out frequently to the big boys (UK, UNC, Dook & KU). He's had a lot of success finishing near the top of the SEC and winning a couple NCs, but it's been a while. What stands out is his style of play. I like his uptempo offense, though he still is capable of coaching a solid half-court O. I like how he teaches his kids to play D. Similar to JC, when he's had the athletes UF has played some stingy half-court D over the years.

I don't feel I know enough about Miller, a name a few have pointed out. Like some here, I think K and Roy are overrated. Of the two, K has won a load of games and not always, though often, with a loaded line-up. I don't like Dook's style of play and I don't like K. That doesn't mean that he's not a good coach though. No one is mentioning Self. I must admit, I was impressed what he did with a roster that did not have a single McD AA. Until he won his first NC, a few years ago, he certainly had a lot of early tournament losses. He's a good Xs & Os guy and knows how to teach the game and develop players. I think it's his demeanor that gets him in trouble. His teams seem to feed off his emotions and when they start off badly or find themselves in a battle with lessor team, he wears worry on his face like a 5-O'clock shadow. Maybe he's getting better at that with age, but his teams almost always seem to either choke or find themselves in some big time struggle against lessor teams come March.

Lastly, if the Squid wasn't such a fast talking salesman type punk and didn't walk with the crowd we hangs with, I'd want him in a heart beat. He's a heck of a coach and has won a lot of games with big time talent and not so big time. Just not the type of guy I want on my sideline. Xs & Os and talent developer wise, I'm hard pressed to find a better coach out there.

Drumguy

Reaction Score
Imagine if he had landed Lawson and one or two of UNC recruits (Ellington and/or Thompson) that JC wanted? Then again, he's swung and missed on some Plan-A recruits in the past and had to settle for players like Emeka, Kemba, etc. So I guess you can't have it both ways.
Imagine if Bynum had showed for that one year or we didn't lose our backup point guard (MW) to a brain trauma. We might be on #s 4 or 5 now.

Reaction Score
Imagine if Bynum had showed for that one year or we didn't lose our backup point guard (MW) to a brain trauma. We might be on #s 4 or 5 now.

marcus williams didnt have the brain trauma that was aj price. mw stole laptops along with ajp and got suspended for a year that wouldve helped him be better in 06.

Drumguy

Reaction Score
marcus williams didnt have the brain trauma that was aj price. mw stole laptops along with ajp and got suspended for a year that wouldve helped him be better in 06.
Right. My bad. It's the 2nd to last day of tax season (I'm an accountant) and my brain is mush!

Reaction Score
Tom Izzo. No question.

Tom Izzo. Couldn't agree more. Guy is an unreal coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom