If UConn pros replicated the Nova Knicks | The Boneyard

If UConn pros replicated the Nova Knicks

Reaction Score
I saw sleepers media do a little exercise where they talked about partial teams they would like to see play on one team. This is really a question we might get to see play out over the next few years, but which of our players might combine for a core on an NBA team?

I kind of like the idea of Castle, Hawkins, and Clingan playing together.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I would take our ‘24 starting five over any combination of Nova grads one could construct

You’re seriously underestimating how much better all those guys are now compared to when they were in college. The Knicks 3 plus Bridges, Whitmore and Bey is a good six. Brunson would score 70 points. The only reason our guys would stay within 30 would be their lack of a center.

Reaction Score
You’re seriously underestimating how much better all those guys are now compared to when they were in college. The Knicks 3 plus Bridges, Whitmore and Bey is a good six. Brunson would score 70 points. The only reason our guys would stay within 30 would be their lack of a center.
Good for them. We’ll see where our guys are in 6 years

Reaction Score
If I were a Nova and Sixers fan, I'd have had a tough time not rooting for this knicks team in their series.
If you're a Celtics fan and you run up against, let's say a Bull's team with Sanogo, Hawkins and Newton... you're not gonna root for the Bulls?

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
If I were a Nova and Sixers fan, I'd have had a tough time not rooting for this knicks team in their series.
If you're a Celtics fan and you run up against, let's say a Bull's team with Sanogo, Hawkins and Newton... you're not gonna root for the Bulls?

Hypothetical, doubt it though. I suppose you'd have to live it to know

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Brunson and Hart both averaged 19 a game on 50/40 shooting their final years.

I’m pretty sure everyone was 40% shooters in 2018 and they had 6 guys average 10 PPG. Jay Wright was a masterful offensive coach and developer.

Reaction Score
If I was a billionaire (aka won a huge powerball) I’d buy an NBA franchise and make it only UConn guys.
And they would get destroyed. Hopefully that changes with the influx of talent coming through Storrs now.

caw

Reaction Score
And they would get destroyed. Hopefully that changes with the influx of talent coming through Storrs now.

It would have been bad considering there would have only been four guys on the team last year, but the future could be interesting in two years.

This certainly isn't 2006-2010 for UConn right now in the NBA, hopefully this is more like 1994 though where UConn guys are just about to start flooding the NBA again.

Hope the number jumps from four to eight/nine next year and than back to double digits in 2025-2026.

Reaction Score
Women: would be Sue Bird, Swin Cash and Svetlana Abrosimova winning a title for the Seattle Storm in 2010.

There were other UConn WBB players on the same team in some combination or other (Lynx during Maya's time and during Napheesa's time as well; Sue and Stewie with the Storm, etc., etc.) but not teammates like these three.

Reaction Score
It would take .0000000001 seconds to make that decision to root for the Celtics, or in my case the Knicks. Anyone rooting against their own team is not a real fan and I can't imagine anyone did that

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

Of course not. Not even a .00000001% chance.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Brunson and Hart both averaged 19 a game on 50/40 shooting their final years.

I’m pretty sure everyone was 40% shooters in 2018 and they had 6 guys average 10 PPG. Jay Wright was a masterful offensive coach and developer.

I'm not sure what ultimate point you're trying to make. If you're saying they were good in college, I agree.

Are you pushing back on my suggestion that these guys — who were very good in college and are now succeeding against the best players in the world — are better now than a bunch of dudes who just left college?

Reaction Score
It would take .0000000001 seconds to make that decision to root for the Celtics, or in my case the Knicks. Anyone rooting against their own team is not a real fan and I can't imagine anyone did that
I don't have an nba team so I never have to worry about it. But to your and @nomar point I'm a Rays fan and we're playing the blue Jays now and I don't want George Springer to even sniff the basepath. So point taken

Btw, Good luck tmrw btw, it's gonna be fun.

Reaction Score
Rays fan... come on brutha thats a catch all for people who gave up on caring ( I am guilty of this too ). Did you hit up the UConn baseball game in Venice earlier this year?

Reaction Score
It would take a lot of time and luck. It does help that Brunson dad was already on the Knicks staff.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I'm not sure what ultimate point you're trying to make. If you're saying they were good in college, I agree.

Are you pushing back on my suggestion that these guys — who were very good in college and are now succeeding against the best players in the world — are better now than a bunch of dudes who just left college?
Sorry I was adding onto your point there. Reading it back I could see how it’s confusing.

My text tone isn’t the best and it’s usually why I call people instead of text them lol

Reaction Score
Good lord, I’m sure there would be some ridiculous ucla teams for this exercise. But I can’t help but think of UNC with MJ, Worthy, and Perkins.
Our problem has been a lack of a superstar who also had high level starters who played with them. I hope we see this change.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score

Rooted for the Celtics in ‘09 when Gordon was lighting them up but will admit I enjoyed seeing Ben play so well.

Reaction Score
I saw sleepers media do a little exercise where they talked about partial teams they would like to see play on one team. This is really a question we might get to see play out over the next few years, but which of our players might combine for a core on an NBA team?

I kind of like the idea of Castle, Hawkins, and Clingan playing together.
The two main hosts of Sleepers are biased morons.

Reaction Score
The two main hosts of Sleepers are biased morons.
Every hoops fan is biased. I don’t mind listening to differing opinions. They did a state of the program thing recently of the huskies, and, by their metrics, everything was graded fairly - but it seemed they realized the methodology wouldn’t encapsulate where UConn is at. So, they added a bunch of extra credit points.

Also, they certainly acknowledge “the Hurley bump” - meaning a team that doesn’t look as good on paper to them, is better than what they see.

Reaction Score
jay wright said philly fans dont like nova, so they would have definitley been rooting against the knicks. was a surprise to me but maybe they prefer the blue collar St Joes and Temple.

Reaction Score
You have to get lucky as NBA player to even get a chance to play if you are not one on the hyped high school or foreign superstars.

donte divincenzo toiled for many years before an injury this year finally gave a chance for meaningful Pt.

Reaction Score
jay wright said philly fans dont like nova, so they would have definitley been rooting against the knicks. was a surprise to me but maybe they prefer the blue collar St Joes and Temple.
Wow. That's strange. This has me thinking about major cities and states that have multiple teams, where the most popular team isn't necessarily the best.

Majority of people in the L.A. area are USC fans, even though UCLA is often better in the major sports. I lived in Brentwood and it was hard to find a Bruins fan.

Also, the state of Texas is heavy UT, while Baylor and Houston have been comparable in football but better in basketball

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom