I wish it wasn't a Lady Vol that said this.... | The Boneyard

I wish it wasn't a Lady Vol that said this....

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
...but she is and she did.

The Lady Vols don't need her to be a star right away. [Mercedes] Russell just has to fill a role on what junior forward Cierra Burdick calls "hands down... the best frontcourt in the country."

Tennessee returns 6-2 sophomore Bashaara Graves, last season's Southeastern Conference newcomer of the year. The Lady Vols also bring back 6-3 junior Isabelle Harrison, who averaged 9.5 points, 7.5 rebounds and 2.1 blocks per game last season. Burdick and sophomores Jasmine Jones and Nia Moore give Tennessee five returning players who are at least 6-2.

Now Tennessee adds Russell, only the sixth player 6-5 or taller to suit up for the Lady Vols.

Mizzes Dolson, Stewart, Tuck, and Stokes, you know, the ones that won the National Championship in April, beg to differ.

Linky

I'm not trying to start a UConn-LV thing here, just found the comment odd coming from from, well, anyone.

Reactions: HGN

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Russell is the highest ranked freshman since Parker at Tennessee. She is a very versatile player. Adding her to Graves and Harrison who where pretty good last year when healthy. That does improve the post game.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I think Russell.,Graves and the supporting class will be a formidable front court; maybe the 3rd, 4th or 5th best in the country (at least they should be if they get coached up to potential).

Graves had a fine freshman year and should continue to be outstanding.

But the statement as written seriously strains credulity.
Surely Burdick didn't watch our last 4 or 5 games, that's the only possible rationale.

Put your hands over your ears, close your eyes and anything is possible.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Another Take

In the Tourney:
Tennessee lost to L'ville by 8 in the quarters.
We beat L'ville by 33 in the final if memory serves me.

So their finest kind forecourt is going to have to make up 41 points to beat us.

Assignment Grande !

Reaction Score
I had posted comment below on CollegeFansOnly and reprint here on TN thread!

I most likely am going to upset quite a few people, but IMHO, TN post-Pat Summitt era, is irrelevant! I don't understand why a top recruit would choose to go to TN now, over programs like: Duke, Stanford, UCONN, Notre Dame, Louisville, California, Penn State, Maryland, et al! Schools such as North Carolina with Sylvia Hatchell (I'm sorry she is very ill), Georgia with Andy Landers, Rutgers with Vivian C., any team coached by Gail Goestenkors or Jim Foster, and TN with Holly Warlick will be good but not "elite"! They are GREAT recruiters but not great in-game coaches. No. Carolina may have the most talent that will never reach an Elite 8! What makes UCONN an elite team, besides the best coaching staff in Division I, that NO OTHER TEAM sells out on defense for 40 minutes like UCONN does no matter the score! Look at the ND semi final game at the Final 4! The reason ND won the first 3 meetings is UCONN screwed up somewhere along the way in each of those games. When they played their usual lock down defense and full speed offense they blew ND doors off! If TN has to depend on Meghan Simmons to win a NC, you're hurting! Baylor and Kim Mulkey got outcoached by Jeff Walz. There is no way Baylor was ready to play L'ville last year. Kim overlooked L'ville and was already in the FF in her mind! And once the 3's and L'ville outhustled Baylor it was too late for a comeback! Holly may become a great in game coach down the road, but she's not there yet.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
It's a secret Mod Squad Memory Test designed to evaluate cognitive deterioration for BoneYarders of a certain age. I am told that Biff is behind the whole ruse. Nan bit her keyboard as to not tell, and JS covered the various and sundry legal ramifications.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
...but she is and she did.

The Lady Vols don't need her to be a star right away. [Mercedes] Russell just has to fill a role on what junior forward Cierra Burdick calls "hands down... the best frontcourt in the country."

Tennessee returns 6-2 sophomore Bashaara Graves, last season's Southeastern Conference newcomer of the year. The Lady Vols also bring back 6-3 junior Isabelle Harrison, who averaged 9.5 points, 7.5 rebounds and 2.1 blocks per game last season. Burdick and sophomores Jasmine Jones and Nia Moore give Tennessee five returning players who are at least 6-2.

Now Tennessee adds Russell, only the sixth player 6-5 or taller to suit up for the Lady Vols.

Mizzes Dolson, Stewart, Tuck, and Stokes, you know, the ones that won the National Championship in April, beg to differ.

Linky

I'm not trying to start a UConn-LV thing here, just found the comment odd coming from from, well, anyone.
Shes excited at the possibilities of having a 6'6 post player to compliment her and Burdick. She needs to understand the potential is there however Russell is a freshman and it will take time to develop. If it ends up like like anything in from the past LV teams we already know the outcome. Yes they have the potential for a good front line. Unfortunately they need good guards. If Carter and Russell can play like upper classman then Tenn might be top 5 otherwise those who rank them in the top 5 imo are either showing respect for Tenn based on their past or are not considering that Carter is coming back and Russell is a freshman. We will see what Tenn does at UNC which is a young team. I think Tenn should win but it will be a test to see where both teams are and where their weaknesses are .

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Here is a quote from Dean Lockwood.
"I think it could be one of the best post groups we've had) in terms of depth from top to bottom," Lockwood said. "When you look at Candace Parker and Nicky Anosike, those are two players hard to beat and they complimented each other so well. They were so physically skilled, physically tough and mentally tough.

"To have all of that together is so rare and so hard to find," Lockwood continued. "I'm not ready to go there quite yet, but I will say that in terms of total depth and versatility, this group could approach that. They are deep and multi-dimensionally talented."

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
For our Lady Vol fans, the point is that she said it was "hands down" the best front court in the country.

We are all willing to chalk that up to preseason bravado. Nothing wrong with that.

It doesn't matter how Russell is the highest ranked recruit since Parker or that Lockwood thinks they are really good. They are not in the neighborhood of Uconn's front line.

Reaction Score
.the arrogance of the UCONN faithful..does it ever end? Everybody knows how good UCONN is but do you really have to challenge every statement made by anybody at anytime and say..but we are better and won the championship..na na na... the young player should think they are the best if she is a competitor..UCONN might be a little easier to root for if they didn't follow their mantra of "if you don't toot your own horn someone else will use it as a spittoon" .. I tell you one thing UCONN isn't the best at..that is humility and it starts from the short guy from Philly and expands endlessly among the brethren

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
.the arrogance of the UCONN faithful..does it ever end? Everybody knows how good UCONN is but do you really have to challenge every statement made by anybody at anytime and say..but we are better and won the championship..na na na... the young player should think they are the best if she is a competitor..UCONN might be a little easier to root for if they didn't follow their mantra of "if you don't toot your own horn someone else will use it as a spittoon" .. I tell you one thing UCONN isn't the best at..that is humility and it starts from the short guy from Philly and expands endlessly among the brethren

You left off that Uconn fans are worse than Philly fans.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score

It is a fan board so expect that to happen or you are going to be miserable. Fans want to talk about what is going on and since there is little happening in the off season you can expect things like this statement to be discussed and yes turned into fodder for debate. You think it is arrogance then you should visit some other places and see the posts there without the history or tradition to stand upon.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score

Doggy's post just above your's was the essence of humility (at least for him).
When I read it I thought he might be ill or maybe his grandson just got a full scholarship to Harvard.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score

Sorry, but you are off-base.

First Doggy-daddy, our very own Mikey (remember Mikey, he hates everything) said it was fine, so if you want to whine, pick a specific target, not the overly broad "UCONN faithful"

Second, the statement is so over-the-top absurd that it deserves mockery. I expect the Duke team to say they think they can hang with UConn. Nothing wrong with that statement. I'd smile at the enthusiasm if she had said that, with Russell, they were on the top frontcourt in the country.

That isn't what was said. She said, about a front-court that hasn't played one second, that they are hands down the best frontcout.

It would be like a Boneyarder saying "Hands down, the Boneyard is the best wbb forum in the country" Oh wait, that's not a good analogy because it is true.

Let's try again.

It would be like Miley Cyrus saying she was Hands down, the most respected pop start in the country.

Reaction Score

nothing wrong with what burdick said. i expect that coach warlick doesn't see anything wrong with it, either.

Reaction Score
You left off that Uconn fans are worse than Philly fans.
except that Philly has a reason to be miserable and have crappy sportsmanship because they never win anything! It just seems to me that the UCONN fans/program doesn't need to speak much about how good they are..all they have to do is smile and point to the record books...but when someone else is trying to do something or starts having a little success what is the point in trying to squash everything (I know this is just a message board) before it even gets a chance..the best thing for UCONN and the womans game would be not to have a perennial dynasty but to have a highly competitive and fun to watch NCAA woman's basketball product..right now it isn't and the powers that be are trying to correct it..not saying that UCONN should lay down so that others can catch up but a true fan of the game would welcome more competition and establishing a good product..it has to be more than UCONN - Tenn or UCONN- ND, or UCONN-whoever...anybody getting bored watching Alabama win by 50 every week?

Reaction Score

First Doggy-daddy, our very own Mikey (remember Mikey, he hates everything) said it was fine, so if you want to whine, pick a specific target, not the overly broad "UCONN faithful"

Second, the statement is so over-the-top absurd that it deserves mockery. I expect the Duke team to say they think they can hang with UConn. Nothing wrong with that statement. I'd smile at the enthusiasm if she had said that, with Russell, they were on the top frontcourt in the country.

That isn't what was said. She said, about a front-court that hasn't played one second, that they are hands down the best frontcout.

It would be like a Boneyarder saying "Hands down, the Boneyard is the best wbb forum in the country" Oh wait, that's not a good analogy because it is true.

Let's try again.

It would be like Miley Cyrus saying she was Hands down, the most respected pop start in the country.

young people say things like"hands down". they don't strive for eloquence and correctness. just like coaches. big deal, so what. deserving mockery? get serious. one thing's for sure, there aren't going to be too many front-court players as good as graves. she is really big-time.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
(I know this is just a message board) before it even gets a chance..the best thing for UCONN and the womans game would be not to have a perennial dynasty but to have a highly competitive and fun to watch NCAA woman's basketball product..right now it isn't and the powers that be are trying to correct it..not saying that UCONN should lay down so that others can catch up but a true fan of the game would welcome more competition and establishing a good product..it has to be more than UCONN - Tenn or UCONN- ND, or UCONN-whoever...anybody getting bored watching Alabama win by 50 every week?

Then as Geno says let others raise their game because UCONN doesn't intend to come back to the pack. Nothing improves in that approach to anything in life.

Reaction Score

Let's try again.

that's the difference..nobody really cares what a Boneyarder says (maybe Miley would) except us losers spending time on message boards..this is a young player with confidence in her team and the upcoming season..I love to see that... versus a bunch of chatter from front-running fans...

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
except that Philly has a reason to be miserable and have crappy sportsmanship because they never win anything! It just seems to me that the UCONN fans/program doesn't need to speak much about how good they are..all they have to do is smile and point to the record books...but when someone else is trying to do something or starts having a little success what is the point in trying to squash everything (I know this is just a message board) before it even gets a chance..the best thing for UCONN and the womans game would be not to have a perennial dynasty but to have a highly competitive and fun to watch NCAA woman's basketball product..right now it isn't and the powers that be are trying to correct it..not saying that UCONN should lay down so that others can catch up but a true fan of the game would welcome more competition and establishing a good product..it has to be more than UCONN - Tenn or UCONN- ND, or UCONN-whoever...anybody getting bored watching Alabama win by 50 every week?

Are you feeling better now?

Reaction Score
Then as Geno says let others raise their game because UCONN doesn't intend to come back to the pack. Nothing improves in that approach to anything in life.
I agree..my point is not that UCONN should encourage players to go elsewhere but to say that a player can never be great unless they go to UCONN..if someone wants to come fine..but if they don't their choice should be embraced with anticipation that maybe folks will see some competitive games in the future!..instead of putting them in the irrelevant box...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom