I will never again complain about the SNY announcers | The Boneyard

I will never again complain about the SNY announcers

Reaction Score
I don't think I have heard a worse job of announcing since I've been watching WCBB. It was less the play-by-play person than the alleged color commentator, whose windy stories (seemingly told only to prove she'd researched the teams) cut into time when we should have been hearing the play-by-play guy call the game.

It seemed to me that she must have been told to fill all the available air space with words. The resulting verbal diarreah was distracting at best and downright annoying at worst, which was most of the time. Most of what she said was irrelevant to the action on the court at the time. Very little of it had to do with the on-court strategy or other things that would allow the audience to relate to what they were seeing.

The play-by-play announcer was too meek, allowing his sidekick to dominate the air at times when he should have been describing the action.

These folks made Bestwick and Culmo look really, really good.

Reaction Score
I don't think I have heard a worse job of announcing since I've been watching WCBB. It was less the play-by-play person than the alleged color commentator, whose windy stories (seemingly told only to prove she'd researched the teams) cut into time when we should have been hearing the play-by-play guy call the game.

It seemed to me that she must have been told to fill all the available air space with words. The resulting verbal diarreah was distracting at best and downright annoying at worst, which was most of the time. Most of what she said was irrelevant to the action on the court at the time. Very little of it had to do with the on-court strategy or other things that would allow the audience to relate to what they were seeing.

The play-by-play announcer was too meek, allowing his sidekick to dominate the air at times when he should have been describing the action.

These folks made Bestwick and Culmo look really, really good.
Bestwick and Culmo ARE really,really good.

Reaction Score
Bestwick and Culmo ARE really,really good.
Don’t know about that, but surely better than tonight.

For fun, tell Culmo before a game she can’t say the words “heads-up” or “smart play” and she would be silent the entire game. She’s sometimes like a woody doll from Toy Story. She can only say a few key sentences.

There’s a snake in my boot!

Reaction Score
I’ve watched enough non-SNY games to say that we very rarely get a good set of announcers. Even when ESPN uses Rebecca Lobo, we get a balanced view. Today was two people focused on what positive things they could say about Villanova and what negatives they could use on UConn. I’ve seen games where the two announcers were very rarely even talking about the UConn game they were there to cover. I can only wonder who FOX will throw out to do the South Carolina game next weekend. And the game starts at noon. Come on.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Don’t know about that, but surely better than tonight.

For fun, tell Culmo before a game she can’t say the words “heads-up” or “smart play” and she would be silent the entire game. She’s sometimes like a woody doll from Toy Story. She can only say a few key sentences.

There’s a snake in my boot!

Megan uses "savvy" as often as Doris Burke used "comport." :p

Reaction Score
They ALL might start on time if these networks didn't cram in an extra 10 advertisements! :mad:
I really don't know why men's games take so long. From 7:39 left to 7:03 in the game before ours, it took nearly five minutes because every stoppage means going to commercials for 2-3 minutes. Those last 7+ minutes took almost half an hour.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I like SNY because the games start on time!
Blame that on CBS Sports staying with a men's game that had already been decided, instead of going to the UConn game. Why the men do not go to a 4 quarter game is beyond comprehension. All other basketball leagues from grade school to the pros, plus all international play a 4 quarter game. Hardly ever does a college MBB game finish on time.

Reaction Score
Echoing the comments here, love our SNY broadcasters for many reasons and todays game was a shining example. It just felt that todays announcers wanted the upset from the start and too many comments about the possibility and too few comments about the game itself. I found myself looking at my phone for foul stats.

Reaction Score
What is the theory on 4 quarter games being faster than 2 halves
I always just felt the women don’t foul as much

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
What is the theory on 4 quarter games being faster than 2 halves
I always just felt the women don’t foul as much
They have 7 less available timeouts in a 4 quarters game vs a 2 halfs game. In the four quarters game there is an official time out at around the 5 minute mark in each quarter and each team has 4 timeouts, while in the two halfs they have 9 media timeouts, plus 5 timeouts given to each team for the whole game and must use one of them in the first half or they will lose it, each timeout lasts a minimum of 30 seconds. For the media time outs that adds approximately 18 to 27 minutes more each game. So in the women's game there is a total of 12 timeouts available in a game vs the men's where there is 19 available timeouts in a game.

Reaction Score
You'd think by now the networks and conferences would get together and not schedule games (especially men's) in back-to-back 2 hour blocks. There's no law that says they can't allow 2:15 or even 2:30 for a game. [Connecticut almost never runs over a 2-hour block unless a game goes to overtime.]

Reaction Score
I normally turn the sound off. Don't really care for SNY either. I know it's a UConn broadcast but they gush over every facet of UConn's performance and gloss over any negative. It's hard to listen to so I've taken to keeping the sound off for the majority of the contest.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I’ve watched enough non-SNY games to say that we very rarely get a good set of announcers. Even when ESPN uses Rebecca Lobo, we get a balanced view. Today was two people focused on what positive things they could say about Villanova and what negatives they could use on UConn. I’ve seen games where the two announcers were very rarely even talking about the UConn game they were there to cover. I can only wonder who FOX will throw out to do the South Carolina game next weekend. And the game starts at noon. Come on.

A little background is in order. Juilene Viani and Maddie Siegrist are both Poughkeepsie, NY natives. Both attended Our Lady of Lourdes High School in Poughkeepsie. Viani won three state championships. Viani's sister, Jenna, played at Nova.

So there is a strong connection between the two.

Viani and her broadcast partner were not a good crew. I'll take Meg and Allan any day.

Reaction Score
I really like Megan. I remember the old days, I guess she was doing CPTV, when before every game a trivia question was asked and the answer shouted out by everyone always was "Magan Pattyson". Hilarious and fun.

Geno in one of his books said that you just can't get rid of some players who played for you. He was referring to Megan.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom