I think DT is ready for another olympic ride | The Boneyard

I think DT is ready for another olympic ride

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
I love Diana but it’s time to groom the next generation

They have been doing that. Just like Diana and Sue Bird took a back seat to Dawn on their early Olympic team. There's room for the up and comers as well as a couple of seasoned old vets. It's not like she has to play major minutes.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I think Dee...given good health...would have a very legit role on the
2024 Olympic team. She would be a leader by example....not be afraid to
get in someone's face if needed...perhaps to come off the bench...and if our play in a key game
goes sidewise she would come in and settle things down. Our other younger guards...aka the future...
would wind up being better players due to her presence. They would be in better shape for the
Los Angeles games in 2028 with Dee just a fan.

BTW: given good health I think Paige is a likely member of that 2028 team...would not mind at all
seeing her on the team in Paris in 2024...soaking up knowledge and international experience.

Reaction Score
DT has had a remarkable career but for the health of the game she needs to move on to make way for the next generation of WBB leaders. So many athletes have played on too many and it ends up affecting the legacy of the player. She had nothing to prove and more importantly nothing to gain by playing on another Olympic team.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
DT has had a remarkable career but for the health of the game she needs to move on to make way for the next generation of WBB leaders. So many athletes have played on too many and it ends up affecting the legacy of the player. She had nothing to prove and more importantly nothing to gain by playing on another Olympic team.
Could not agree more! Frankly her career has been way too long! Same with Sue Bird. 20 years as a pro? That's 20 years of her taking a spot from younger players who could've been developed. Frankly I think we should limit all WNBA players to careers of two or three years, so that we have the opportunity to "develop" more players. It's more fair if everyone gets a turn.

Or, and I'm just spit balling here, perhaps sports works best when it's a meritocracy with team membership and playing time based upon actual ability? I hope DT does offer her self up for consideration for the US national team. In the end the coach in the woman's team committee will decide whether or not she brings value. Given her extraordinary career, I'm inclined to believe that she does.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Shooting guard is also one of the deepest positions in the league; team USA is not lacking in guards.

Jewell Loyd
Kelsey Plum
Kelsey Mitchell
Jackie Young
A. Gray
K. McBride
Arike

Reaction Score
Could not agree more! Frankly her career has been way too long! Same with Sue Bird. 20 years as a pro? That's 20 years of her taking a spot from younger players who could've been developed. Frankly I think we should limit all WNBA players to careers of two or three years, so that we have the opportunity to "develop" more players. It's more fair if everyone gets a turn.

Or, and I'm just spit balling here, perhaps sports works best when it's a meritocracy with team membership and playing time based upon actual ability? I hope DT does offer her self up for consideration for the US national team. In the end the coach in the woman's team committee will decide whether or not she brings value. Given her extraordinary career, I'm inclined to believe that she does.
Thank you. It's wild to me people say things this when she is currently averaging 18 PPG and 6 assists in her 19th year. Like if these younger plays are so deserving of a spot, they shouldn't have an issue beating her.
Shooting guard is also one of the deepest positions in the league; team USA is not lacking in guards.

Jewell Loyd
Kelsey Plum
Kelsey Mitchell
Jackie Young
A. Gray
K. McBride
Arike
DT's a point guard though and they CERTAINLY are lacking there.

Reaction Score

I love the sarcasm!

Reaction Score
Guards who can make the Olympic team
Sabrina I.
Arise O.
K.Cooper
C.Grey
Jewell.L
K.Plum
Jackie.Y
Jordin.C
Crystal.D
Skylar.D
Diana.T
Marina.M
Who would you like to see in USA backcourt

Reaction Score
Might be a long shot, but Paige and Caitlin could possibly be in the running as well.
Don't you have to be a professional to be in consideration? I think Caitlin not even going out for any the US teams this summer along with her comments at the end of the season are probably the best indication that she's strongly considering her 5th year and that the Olympics aren't on her radar.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Don't you have to be a professional to be in consideration? I think Caitlin not even going out for any the US teams this summer along with her comments at the end of the season are probably the best indication that she's strongly considering her 5th year and that the Olympics aren't on her radar.
No, in fact it used to be you couldn’t participate in the Olympics if you’re a professional. The rule changed about the time of the U.S. basketball Dream Team

Reaction Score
No, in fact it used to be you couldn’t participate in the Olympics if you’re a professional. The rule changed about the time of the U.S. basketball Dream Team
Thanks Nan, I remember that! For some reason it thought USA basketball wasn't going to send amateur athletes to the Olympics anymore but I could have just gotten confused.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Thank you. It's wild to me people say things this when she is currently averaging 18 PPG and 6 assists in her 19th year. Like if these younger plays are so deserving of a spot, they shouldn't have an issue beating her.

DT's a point guard though and they CERTAINLY are lacking there.
DT is an excellent passer, but I would not consider her a PG--she's a pure 2-guard. Skylar played point in Phx. Sutton is doing it this year. Bird was the PG on USA teams.

Gray is the next starting USA PG. And of folks available for team USA (so not Vandersloot or Clouden I believe), Ionescu is probably best option as backup at this time. Of course there are a number of guards that would be fine starting an offense, but are not traditional point guards.

Reaction Score
DT or Paige are #1 #2, as can be Sabrina Ionescu, Arike is more a #2

That would make my 4 guards selection at the moment

Reaction Score
there are many guards that could make the team, but how many heve been there for 20 years ?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom