I like how we broke the press last night | The Boneyard

I like how we broke the press last night

Reaction Score
I’m still VERY worried about our out of bounds execution. It literally looks like we haven’t practiced it. No one is ever open and we’re a wink away from 5 second calls half of the time.

Reaction Score
I’m still VERY worried about our out of bounds execution. It literally looks like we haven’t practiced it. No one is ever open and we’re a wink away from 5 second calls half of the time.

True. And we never run the baseline when we can. I don't recall an inbounder running the baseline to got a better angle to pass in.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If you don't notice a difference in our approach (and success) to breaking the press, you not watching. The difference is HUGE.

Yes, Hurley hated our tedious press break a month ago, and they have obviously worked on it. Using Jackson helps, as he is a threat to throw a strike down court at any time. Have to attack the press and move the ball through the air to create mismatches. We are sending Bouk and the bigs long, and using PG, Martin and Jackson to bring it up, so any deep pass creates space for Bouk or Sanogo to work.

Reaction Score
You mean the team that beat Providence the game after Providence beat Nova?
While I agree that our dismantling of DePaul is impressive regardless of their perceived inferiority, I have to point out that beating Villanova is less impressive nowadays than it was a few weeks ago.

Reaction Score
If you don't notice a difference in our approach (and success) to breaking the press, you not watching. The difference is HUGE.
I agree the philosophy of attacking the press has changed but DePaul seemed not too interested in putting up a fight. They did not get back on d once the press was broken. Come on if you think a press that an unmotivated DePaul team could use might be anywhere close to the effectiveness of what we may see tonight I think you are wrong. I will say however that I would not press us if I was coaching aginst us unless Gaffney was in the game without Cole. Gaff makes too many mindless mistakes for me.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Yes, I get a little pit in my stomach when we have a seemingly comfortable lead with 2ish minutes to go and the other team goes into frantic mode pressing full court. Having AJax out there as an extra ball handler and superb passer at his size is a nice luxury though.

Reaction Score
I agree the philosophy of attacking the press has changed but DePaul seemed not too interested in putting up a fight. They did not get back on d once the press was broken. Come on if you think a press that an unmotivated DePaul team could use might be anywhere close to the effectiveness of what we may see tonight I think you are wrong. I will say however that I would not press us if I was coaching aginst us unless Gaffney was in the game without Cole. Gaff makes too many mindless mistakes for me.
But it wasn't just against DePaul, it's been a trend over the last 5+ games and that's against teams like Seton Hall who were motivated to win

Reaction Score
Yes, I get a little pit in my stomach when we have a seemingly comfortable lead with 2ish minutes to go and the other team goes into frantic mode pressing full court. Having AJax out there as an extra ball handler and superb passer at his size is a nice luxury though.
Ajax is also a good FT shooter...with him out there we shouldn't have any issue with a press

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Yes, Hurley hated our tedious press break a month ago, and they have obviously worked on it. Using Jackson helps, as he is a threat to throw a strike down court at any time. Have to attack the press and move the ball through the air to create mismatches. We are sending Bouk and the bigs long, and using PG, Martin and Jackson to bring it up, so any deep pass creates space for Bouk or Sanogo to work.

Jackson is the key to annihilating the press.

Just get the ball inbounds and then find him at midcourt. After that it's show time.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
When you think about it, they just look like a team that knows what they are doing. Press, no press, MTM, zone; they got this.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom