I Hate To Interrupt All This Fine Coach Bashing, But A Word On Chandler Whitmer | Page 2 | The Boneyard

I Hate To Interrupt All This Fine Coach Bashing, But A Word On Chandler Whitmer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Frazer locked in even more than Whitmer does. Not close. Not arguable. He was a one read QB -- if the first read wasn't there, he threw it away. Was Frazer a better QB as a senior than Whitmer is now? I'd say yes by the smallest of margins, if only because Frazer forced fewer passes, as is common when a QB gains experience.

I liked it when he locked onto Marcus Easley. That was pretty good.

I disagree that Frazer is better. If Frazer had to play behind this line he would have been nightmarishly bad.

Reaction Score
Whitmer 2012 - 2664 yards passing 9 tds/16 ints
Frazer 2009 - 1461 yards passing 10 tds/9 ints

I would rather have Frazer's season. Too many INT's for Whitmer especially when the offense couldnt afford them.

Reaction Score
I agree with RMS25CT and ZooCougar

It seems that a number of fans would like a RG III. So would I.

But I don't see our coaches identifying and landing a freshman like that.......hasn't happened yet!

Lets not forget, DO was not that great his first two years. Myself and my companions often wondered how many interceptions he'd throw in a game......he had his share of drive ending mistakes his first two years.

This isn't a knock on Dan O or CW. All I'm suggesting is with a decent offensive line and a complimentary ground game, CW could make us forget his inexperience and growing pains.....just as DO did!

With the right ingredients in support, CW is a keeper. Without those ingredients, no other QB will stand a chance, either!

Reaction Score
I liked it when he locked onto Marcus Easley. That was pretty good.

I disagree that Frazer is better. If Frazer had to play behind this line he would have been nightmarishly bad.

Not only would I take Frazer over Whitmer, give me Cody Endres, both were better qb's than Whitmer was this year. If I can remember any criticism of our offense when Frazer was around, it was that his receivers constantly dropped the balls thrown to them.

Reaction Score
Whitmer 2012 - 2664 yards passing 9 tds/16 ints
Frazer 2009 - 1461 yards passing 10 tds/9 ints

I would rather have Frazer's season. Too many INT's for Whitmer especially when the offense couldnt afford them.

Colt, Frazer's low numbers were due to Edsall's run first and run only offense, if Frazer was in this offense he would have much better numbers.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I think CW played better than ZF. Though I also think he has better receivers than Zach did.

The List (BCS era)
DO
CW
ZF
TL
No one else worth mentioning. And yes, I know I left out Cody.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
A word? Unspectacular. Lotta heart, but lacking in size and arm strength.
Arguably 10 games at least this year the other sides QB was better To settle on the current QB situation is a FAIL. CC is CW redux. SM is not a QB. Lagow will probably rs and play in game 12 down 17-0 with 4 mins left

Reaction Score
My biggest complaint with Whitmer is the decision making on some of those throws. The second biggest complaint I have is that he needs to work on getting rid of the football better. It seems like he gets intentional grounding too often. I think getting rid of the football is an unappreciated art.

Look, I know he wasn't gangbusters. But please. Take into account what was being asked of him. First year QB, new playbook, NO RUNNING GAME. We basically asked him to be breakfast, lunch and dinner while he was playing tag with the other team's defensive linemen.

If the line play improves next season and he is still throwing all these INTs and making bad decisions then I might change my mind, but from my perspective, he's really the brigtest spot on our offense.

Reaction Score
Not only would I take Frazer over Whitmer, give me Cody Endres, both were better qb's that Whitmer this year. If I can remember any criticism of our offense when Frazer was around, it was that his receivers constantly dropped the balls thrown to them.

I can't really tell the difference between this year's receivers and the ones back then. Kashif Moore and Easley are better than anything we have now. Our best receivers this year were tight ends.

Reaction Score
I'm in the "jury's out" camp. He, IMO, is a RSFrosh playing his first year, so I think he was serviceable and I am hopeful his growth continues. Not only that, but he has a young and inexperienced WR crew and a weak OL. His weaknesses were adequately described above.

His stats are no better than JMac 2011. At no point did I think he could win us a game; i did think he could lose them, and did.

Is he "given" the job for 13? Not in my book. I want to see if CC has elevated his game. We need a 2 regardless, but I don't look at CW and say we have a QB for the next 2 years, end of story. I need one of these kids to step up and step up big, but I could say that for many positions

Reaction Score
Not only would I take Frazer over Whitmer, give me Cody Endres, both were better qb's than Whitmer was this year. If I can remember any criticism of our offense when Frazer was around, it was that his receivers constantly dropped the balls thrown to them.

Sure they dropped balls, as they were thrown 150 MPH with the rotation of a kickoff.

Reaction Score
Colt, Frazer's low numbers were due to Edsall's run first and run only offense, if Frazer was in this offense he would have much better numbers.

Frazer was far less mobile and would have gotten killed.

Reaction Score
The guy threw almost 2 INT's a game. That is horrible by BCS standards, MAC standards, you pick it. bigeastconf is listing some VERY valid reasons to be concerned about Whitmer.

If you are an optimistic person and want to extrapolate Whitmer's mediocre season and predict he'll be average next year and above average as a senior, I think that is fair. I actually think Frazer is a good comp - he was very mediocre early on and eventually made it to serviceable.

Now, the one area that anyone has to give Whitmer props is his toughness. He was put in an absolutely horrid spot, and never complained that I remember and just kept getting up.

Finally - we can't expect to land my boy RGIII, but there is a WIDE gap between Whitmer and RGIII - I think it's absolutely fair to expect a QB who can at least maintain a 1:1 TD/INT ratio.

Reaction Score
Let's compare Whitmers and Frazers completion percentages. Whitmer took an unreal pounding. Its amazing he didn't get concussed until the last games of the year.

This was his first year playing against BCS competition. Let's see what he looks like as the receivers and oline mature along with him. Now about Deleone....

Reaction Score
The guy threw almost 2 INT's a game. That is horrible by BCS standards, MAC standards, you pick it. bigeastconf is listing some VERY valid reasons to be concerned about Whitmer.

If you are an optimistic person and want to extrapolate Whitmer's mediocre season and predict he'll be average next year and above average as a senior, I think that is fair. I actually think Frazer is a good comp - he was very mediocre early on and eventually made it to serviceable.

Now, the one area that anyone has to give Whitmer props is his toughness. He was put in an absolutely horrid spot, and never complained that I remember and just kept getting up.

Finally - we can't expect to land my boy RGIII, but there is a WIDE gap between Whitmer and RGIII - I think it's absolutely fair to expect a QB who can at least maintain a 1:1 TD/INT ratio.

Answer this one question then. How does Frazer do behind this year's offensive line?

I don't think he gets past game three.

Reaction Score
Sorry to introduce some facts into this discussion. It's a weakness of mine.

Frazer's sophomore year he got in a few games (Lorezen started).
He threw 6 picks in 46 attempts.
Over 13% of his passes picked.

As a junior first year starting. He threw 9 picks in 116 attempts.
7.7% of passes picked.

As a senior he improved greatly to 6 picks in 261 attempts.
2.2% of passes picked.

CW in his first year as starter. 16 picks in 361 attempts.
4.4% of passes picked.

Reaction Score
Sorry to introduce some facts into this discussion. It's a weakness of mine.

Frazer's sophomore year he got in a few games (Lorezen started).
He threw 6 picks in 46 attempts.
Over 13% of his passes picked.

As a junior first year starting. He threw 9 picks in 116 attempts.
7.7% of passes picked.

As a senior he improved greatly to 6 picks in 261 attempts.
2.2% of passes picked.

CW in his first year as starter. 16 picks in 361 attempts.
4.4% of passes picked.

As a junior with just 116 attempts? Man, how many rushing attempts were there?

Reaction Score
Um, yes. A running QB, no. Mobile? Yes. And Frazer was a statue by comparison.

Payton Manning is a status and so is Tom Brady, in fact many nfl and college qb's are statues per say, this doesn't make Whitmer a better qb, your point is irrelevant.

Reaction Score
Payton Manning is a status and so is Tom Brady, in fact many nfl and college qb's are statues per say, this doesn't make Whitmer a better qb, your point is irrelevant.

Strawman alert. And Brady is not a statue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom