I could give a rats ass moving forward | The Boneyard

I could give a rats ass moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm mostly pissed off at the feeling I have of being pissed on all season long as a season ticket holder, and told it was raining. I can handle breaking an organization down to nothing, to rebuild it. I can handle slogging through sh----t night and day forever with nothing more than the hope of a pinpoint of light to reach in the dark. Sometimes it's necessary, and it's a hell of lot better to be truthful, and talk about what your doing and moving forward, than what happened in the past and why you're doing it. It's just excuses for failure we've been fed all season long, and it's failure we've gotten. I want to know what we're doing moving forward, and I have no clue.

What I can't tolerate is bullsh----t. This entire season, has been bullsh---t, and the same question that existed for a rookie head coach a year ago, still exists today.

Is the guy capable of being a head coach that can lead team to wins? That's annoying.

Nothing to do now, but recruit, and wait for the next try at answering that question in 10 months. It will change in a few days for sure, but right now, I don't want to read, hear or see the guy.

He's got a recruiting class to finish up, and spring ball to prepare for, and a game in 10 months. If we cannot come out prepared to play, and stomp Villanova with 10 months preparation, we are screwed as a program.

RIght now, Villanova would trounce us.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Casey Cochran was gatorade player of the year, and I think our season would've looked very different if we had him.
I will give you that semi reluctantly - not the norm.

Give me your breakdown on Stewart, Boyle, kurceza (sp), Newsome and others.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I agree that there has been far too much emphasis on recruiting CT kids in the past few years. One of the reasons UCONN is continually passed over by P5 conferences is the reputation of the northeast being a poor football recruiting ground. Yet, here we are, trying to mine for diamonds in the rough in the afore-mentioned recruiting ground. If we're going to go mining, I hope Warde is prepared to up the travel budget so we can try to find those same diamonds in deeper prospect territories, like NJ/PA/OH/MD/mid-Atlantic states.

This program desperately needs to find players at several positions. Ever since we put more of a focus on recruiting CT kids, the program has won 5, 5, 3, and 2 games per season. That's not going to cut it.

Reaction Score
I agree that there has been far too much emphasis on recruiting CT kids in the past few years. One of the reasons UCONN is continually passed over by P5 conferences is the reputation of the northeast being a poor football recruiting ground. Yet, here we are, trying to mine for diamonds in the rough in the afore-mentioned recruiting ground. If we're going to go mining, I hope Warde is prepared to up the travel budget so we can try to find those same diamonds in deeper prospect territories, like NJ/PA/OH/MD/mid-Atlantic states.

This program desperately needs to find players at several positions. Ever since we put more of a focus on recruiting CT kids, the program has won 5, 5, 3, and 2 games per season. That's not going to cut it.

Don't you remember Bob Diaco's strategy? We are recruiting kids in places that have direct flights from Bradley. So if there is a change in planes required, that kid won't make the cut.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
Don't you remember Bob Diaco's strategy? We are recruiting kids in places that have direct flights from Bradley. So if there is a change in planes required, that kid won't make the cut.
Excellent!!

1. 24 cities with nonstop flights
    To Hartford, CT (BDL)
    Search flight prices on Google
    Atlanta, GA
    2h 15m
    Delta, Southwest
    Charlotte, NC
    1h 50m
    US Airways
    Chicago, IL
    2h 0m
    American, United, Southwest
    Cincinnati, OH
    1h 55m
    Delta
    Cleveland, OH
    1h 25m
    Delta
    Dallas, TX
    3h 15m
    American
    Denver, CO
    3h 30m
    Southwest
    Detroit, MI
    1h 40m
    Delta
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    2h 55m
    JetBlue, Southwest
    Fort Myers, FL
    2h 50m
    JetBlue, Southwest
    Houston, TX
    3h 30m
    United
    Miami, FL
    3h 0m
    American
    Minneapolis, MN
    2h 30m
    Delta
    Montreal, Canada
    1h 20m
    Air Canada
    New York, NY
    55m
    United
    Orlando, FL
    2h 35m
    Southwest, JetBlue
    Philadelphia, PA
    1h 5m
    US Airways
    Pittsburgh, PA
    1h 20m
    US Airways
    Raleigh, NC
    1h 40m
    Delta
    San Juan, Puerto Rico
    4h 0m
    JetBlue
    Tampa, FL
    2h 40m
    Southwest, JetBlue
    Toronto, Canada
    1h 35m
    Air Canada
    Washington, DC
    1h 15m
    Southwest, US Airways, United, …
    West Palm Beach, FL
    2h 40m
    JetBlue
    Send feedback

Show less

Bonehead

Reaction Score
I am not making this up. He actually said that. Cuckoo. Cuckoo.
I remember and it was repeated on air during Memphis game I believe.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I'm just curious and I mean this seriously. Can someone name for me some CT HS players who have been successful in college with any team? I know we don't land all the "upper level" in-state talent but do those players actually succeed anywhere? Are we truly missing out on anything if we just ignore CT?

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Stinger92860 said:
Silas Redd, Dwight Feeney..

What year was Feeney? Exactly.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
Silas Redd, Dwight Feeney..
Silas Redd - really? I will look up his college career # 's vs McCombs career # 's later today and get back to you on that one - Khari Fortt too, right??

There is no reason to focus on CT kids - they are coached poorly in HS and show up with what seems to be a low level FB IQ. Talk to me about the ones we have??

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I recently had a conversation with a HS coach and it is amazing the delusion that many of them exist in. Basically, they believe that UConn football's role should be to serve them and that all UConn coaches should kiss their collective backsides and let them dictate who they should and should not offer scholarships to.

Reaction Score
Silas Redd - really? I will look up his college career # 's vs McCombs career # 's later today and get back to you on that one - Khari Fortt too, right??

There is no reason to focus on CT kids - they are coached poorly in HS and show up with what seems to be a low level FB IQ. Talk to me about the ones we have??

Your original quote was no sniff in the top 50 for nj,a and top 200 in Florida. Just a quick few that would make those lists. There are more, including Fortt. Several are playing in the NFL today. I am not saying we can stock a full team but the top 6 in a typical year would help.

Reaction Score
The actual quote:

"We're going to go Boston to Buffalo through Syracuse, Rochester," he said. "We're going to go down from Boston through Connecticut and out through the tip of Long Island. We're going to hit all the boroughs of New York because New York's football is really improving. It's really a great spot to go and kind of underrecruited frankly, down to Baltimore over to D.C., touch Northern Virginia and then go up to eastern Pennsylvania, slightly west of Philadelphia, then snap a line from there right up through New York State. That is going to be our main recruiting area. "

After all of that, Diaco did more research. "Direct flights from major metro cities that have multiple flights per day to Bradley International from major metro cities that also have American Athletic Conference cache," Diaco said. "We're going to drop into the metro cities." Those cities include Dallas, Cincinnati and Charlotte, N.C.<<

Based on current known offers (outside of Prep kids)... CT seems to be less of a focus than under PP.

Reaction Score
On Recruiting in state

The best CT players, Gatorade players of the year would not sniff top 50 in NJ, PA and top 200 in Florida.

Never understood why they focused so hard on in-state recruiting once PP was hired. There's a reason why most of these kids don't typically get recruited or offered from the major programs in the country. If UConn wants to step up with the big boys, then they need to stop settling for leftovers. I know beggars can't be choosers and it's easier said than done, but it's the reality if we want to bolster our overall talent even a couple notches.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
Ha! Both McCombs and Redd had 3100 yds and 21 Tds from scrimmage in their college careers - redd in 4 years at penn st and USC and McCombs in3!

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/silas-redd-1.html
http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/lyle-mccombs-1.html

Fortt was nothing in college and McCombs had a better college career.

You want to roll with these CT kids so be it - we can agree to disagree and continue to root for UConn FB

Talk to me about the current ones - not the past. I don't care about 5 years ago

Reaction Score
Dwight Freeney, Aaron Hernandez, Jordan Reed, David Reed, Bruce Campbell, Tyler Murphy, Chris Baker, Niko Koutouvides, John Jenkins, Donald Thomas, Terrance Knighton, John Sullivan, Amari Spievey, Rob Jackson, Khairi Fortt, Silas Redd, John Moffitt, Matt Shaughnessy, Damik Scafe, Nate Collins, Kory Sheets.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Superjohn,

One third of the above listed names weren't going to consuder UConn once a more established program offered and another third would not make it through admissions.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
Dwight Freeney, Aaron Hernandez, Jordan Reed, David Reed, Bruce Campbell, Tyler Murphy, Chris Baker, Niko Koutouvides, John Jenkins, Donald Thomas, Terrance Knighton, John Sullivan, Amari Spievey, Rob Jackson, Khairi Fortt, Silas Redd, John Moffitt, Matt Shaughnessy, Damik Scafe, Nate Collins, Kory Sheets.
A murderer on your list -
talk to me about the present ones??? No one seems to want to do that...

Bonehead

Reaction Score
If I remember correctly Donald Thomas didn't play in HS, or very little experience, so he wasn't subjected to the CT HS associations bad members and he had no other offers and got coached up by RE.

Reaction Score
People were asking the question if there have been any Connecticut players who have even been successful in college, I named 20 who have been successful in the NFL. What does Hernandez being a murderer have to do with anything, he was the #1 tight end in the country and UConn wanted him. I agree you're not going to make it far in college football relying on Connecticut talent but don't make it out that no good players come out of here. Also are you really trying to say Lyle McCombs is a better running back than Silas Redd?

Bonehead

Reaction Score
People were asking the question if there have been any Connecticut players who have even been successful in college, I named 20 who have been successful in the NFL. What does Hernandez being a murderer have to do with anything, he was the #1 tight end in the country and UConn wanted him. I agree you're not going to make it far in college football relying on Connecticut talent but don't make it out that no good players come out of here. Also are you really trying to say Lyle McCombs is a better running back than Silas Redd?
Fair enough - I was thinking of my post title moving forward.

Yes I am unfortunately - by the numbers mccombs had a much better career in college - I don't care about whether they make the show or not - and redd had much better talent around him in college.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
There is a thread somewhere on this board about the FBS offers to in state kids and the number is ridiculously low (perhaps 10-12). The state on average produces about 25 kids a year who play D-1 football in college and half of those are playing at an FCS school. Whether we like it or not, if more than 20%-25% of our scholarships go to in-state kids (~5 per year), we have too many scholarships invested in in players who don't belong at the level we want to reach.

The local HS coaches don't want to hear this. If they have a hard worker who may be a multi-year starter at a Central or Sacred Heart, they feel UConn owes it to the kid to offer a scholarship. If they have a kid who could become a starter at a Georgia, Clemson or Michigan, they think he is too good to waste his talent at UConn.

We should try to have a decent relationship with these coaches but very few are cooperative. Additionally, considering the talent that is available, the effort on our part should be limited.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom