I am excited about Napheesa Collier | The Boneyard

I am excited about Napheesa Collier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I watched the game last night against Argentina, and obviously there hasn't been an intense level of competition from USA's opponent's in this tournament, but I continue to be impressed with Collier. She seems to have a nose for the ball, a tremendous work ethic, the ability to be in the right place at the right time, and be a jack of all trades.

Look at her statistics from the tournament so far: she's third on the team in scoring (behind Wilson and Turner), first in rebounds, third in assists (behind a pair of guards: Caldwell and Mabrey), fourth in field goal % at 57% (behind Wilson, Turner, and Shepard), first in steals, and tied for second in blocks (behind Wilson). Most significantly, she leads the team in minutes.

And, many on the team are in the class of head of her. Of the six players who are rising HS seniors, Collier is first in scoring, rebounds, steals, and blocks (and second in assists).

Obviously, it's very difficult to tell how good a kid will be when they actually get to college, but everything I've seen and read about this kid show me that she's going to be a fantastic addition to the program, along with the two other tremendously talented kids coming with her. I don't think that there's a ton of synergy in the abilities amongst either the 2014 or 2015 classes, but I think watching both classes together for three years might really be a thing to see.

sTu

Reaction Score
Might someone post a link for the Canada game?

Reaction Score
I also think Collier is going to be something real special at UConn. There really isn't anything that she can't do on the court. She is quick enough, has a good enough handle, and good enough jump shot to play the guard position. But at 6'1 with "spider like" long arms she is big enough and tough enough to bang inside and play the power forward position. She is constantly moving on both offense and defense and can read the shot of the rim as well as anyone I have ever seen. The thing I like about her the most is that when the chips are down and her team needs her the most is when she plays her best basketball. She recently showed this in the first quarter of the Canada game when she carried the US team on her back when Wilson was in foul trouble and Turner was struggling.

Reaction Score
... She recently showed this in the first quarter of the Canada game when she carried the US team on her back when Wilson was in foul trouble and Turner was struggling.

Do you recall who was guarding Turner in that game against Canada?

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
What impresses me the most about her and her future team mates coming in,is not her statistics,but her desire to work hard and learn.
This attitude is what the Connecticut coaching staff can mold into an outstanding basketball player,as well as a responsible,sweet young lady.
Nothing pleases me,personally,more,than seeing a young lady with desire,courage,and attentiveness coming into the program.
I,for one,cannot see how she will not become an outstanding Connecticut athlete,if she stays healthy and hungry!

Reaction Score
Oh, well. I was hoping she was under the care of a private Nurse.
Kiah Nurse plays for the Canadien National team not the u 18 team and is a guard not a forward.

Reaction Score
If Morgan's healthy, she would more than likely be the power forward. Natalie will be the center. Napheesa or De'Janae would be the small forward. Saniya Gabby, Sadie, Courtney or Katie Lou would be the shooting guard and Kia would be the point guard. Maybe Saniya should learn to play the point. She may get crowded out at the shooting guard position, and they won't have a true point guard to back up Kia. Of course this is after Bre and Moriah graduate. An embarrassment of riches.

Reaction Score
Watching Napheesa play, her game cries team...whatever the stats tell you, she's better than that...I'd hate to be competing with her for playing time...

Reaction Score
What impresses me the most about her and her future team mates coming in,is not her statistics,but her desire to work hard and learn.
This attitude is what the Connecticut coaching staff can mold into an outstanding basketball player,as well as a responsible,sweet young lady.
Nothing pleases me,personally,more,than seeing a young lady with desire,courage,and attentiveness coming into the program.
I,for one,cannot see how she will not become an outstanding Connecticut athlete,if she stays healthy and hungry!
I just want to say that everything I've read about her suggests that she is already a responsible and sweet young lady who is an outstanding basketball player. Her time in Storrs will only enhance her abilities and we're lucky to have her. The more I read about her the more she sounds like MOORE, Maya to be specific. She seems to have similar size and quickness and a mind for the game. Just to be mentioned in the same breath as Maya suggests that she's going to make a lot of Huskie fans very, very happy over her four years at Storrs. Boy, are we the luckiest basketball fans on the planet or NOT!

Reaction Score
Watching Napheesa play, her game cries team...whatever the stats tell you, she's better than that...I'd hate to be competing with her for playing time...

OTP: Understood. Hey, I'd hate to have you even be just a member of our squad, Oh Fearless Spectator, let alone competing with Collier for playing time. :rolleyes:;)

Reaction Score
My goodness - I just now took time to read that VERY interesting Jim Fuller article that PAP had mentioned in this thread (from the Sunday horde blogs); it provides stats for all the UCONN players who had participated in that tournament as well as stats for other superstars who participated. When you look at points and rebounds, I think you'll be quite impressed with how Collier measures up.....maybe even blown away?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Fuller's article points out how good both Morgan and Napheesa are.

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
So we are going to be in for four years of horrible Nurse puns, eh?
Now, now...
nurse.jpg

Reaction Score
Yeah, but besides that...

W: Besides her being on Team A and not Team B, and playing position Y and not position X? Well, she actually came from Alabama.....and had a banjo............ you probably know the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom