I absolutely love this team... and as a UCONN fan am thankful | The Boneyard

I absolutely love this team... and as a UCONN fan am thankful

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I know we probably feel this most years at UCONN, this team is awesome for some reasons that are different than usual.

First and foremost, possibly our best player and one of the best in the nation went down with a freak injury, and possibly our best and steadiest player off the bench is out with some lingering knee issues that hopefully are cleared up for good now.

What does the rest of the team do? Come together, demolish top competition, and still continue to play the most fundamentally sound and most aesthetically pleasing basketball in the country.

I know great things were expected of Stef, Stewie, and Bria, but how about the rest of the team?
  • Banks has filled in as a starter and not only provided a steadying hand and a spark when needed, but showed fearlessness and no signs of the injury that derailed her last year. So happy for her!
  • Stokes has really come into her own and the great practices have resulted in extended minutes that she's not only made the most of, but shown that she's probably one of the top 10 centers in the nation... AND she doesn't even start. Oh, and she STILL has a huge upside.
  • Jefferson - everyone knew how highly ranked she was and how fast she was, but did anyone expect she'd be scoring in bunches and running the team like a senior? And her defense is other-worldly. Insane improvement from last year - talk about the sophomore jump! I really think she's one of the top PG's in the country.
  • Chong has shown exponential improvement since day 1 and proven that not only does she not play like a freshman, but she totally belongs (and contributes) on the hands down best team in WCBB.
  • Polly and Tierney have seamlessly meshed their outsider walk-on status with the rest of the team. It can't have been easy for them to try out for the best WCBB team on the planet and I admire their courage and commitment. Plus it's a total joy to see the rest of the team react when they do something terrific on the court. And Geno owes one of them a car. How cool is that?!!
And on top of it, Geno and co. continue to recruit like gangbusters. We have a quartet committed to UCONN for next year that I couldn't be more excited to see, and welcome, to the basketball capital of the world. An incredible and diverse group of guards and wings. I love that the parents of these kids are so supportive of sending their daughters to our program, and that they all become part of the incredible UCONN family.

Couldn't be more proud of how the team has rallied and stepped up individually, and as a team. I'm grateful to be a UCONN alum and a natural UCONN fan, and thankful for a team that gives me so much joy and pleasure.

Thanks to EVERYONE involved in UCONN WCBB - from the players and staff to the trainers and managers to all the "back office" support staff and volunteers. We truly are blessed to be UCONN fans, and for all those reasons, am so thankful...

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
BTW, I almost added to my original post that I am also grateful to be part of the best and most diverse WCBB message board, but I was worried some people would criticize my post for not being competitive enough... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
How could you not mention Jefferson? She's shown the most improvement so far in my opinion.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
BTW, I almost added to my original post that I am also grateful to be part of the best and most diverse WCBB message board, but I was worried some people would criticize my post for not being competitive enough...

geez, Eric, that one almost made me spit my milk out! :p

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Bravo Eric and may I add that I so admire their fun-loving spirit and delight in their sheer athleticism.

Reaction Score
Well said Eric! It's been a lot of fun to watch this amazing group of women and their coaching staff in action this season especially with their ability to overcome the adversity of losing such main cogs for part of the season.
It's great to be a UConn fan!

Reaction Score
Eric, couldn't agree with you more, but I also loved many other UCONN Teams since I became a fan in 1994.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
very happy and thankful for many things, including being a fan of this great team and coaching staff.
O, and Happy Turkey day all to all Boneyarders and their families!

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Eric- love the post, passion and unbridled " TonyC" like enthusiasm. Each team really is different each year- even with so many of the same players, they mature so much each year-- the team really changes. This is some group. They are having fun and seam to run offense like a swiss watch!Can't wait for the Duke game!!!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Eric- love the post, passion and unbridled " TonyC" like enthusiasm. Each team really is different each year- even with so many of the same players, they mature so much each year-- the team really changes. This is some group. They are having fun and seam to run offense like a swiss watch!Can't wait for the Duke game!!!
You didn't know I had it in me, eh?! It's a side I keep on the D.L.! ;)

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
When are they playing in the Garden? Isn't Jimmy V at Duke?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom