I’ve defended Hurley thus far | Page 9 | The Boneyard

I’ve defended Hurley thus far

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Just the fact that he recruited Sanago and has him vastly improved in his sophomore season should be enough to quiet the nonsense about Hurley. But the guy wants to be a better coach and has a plan for his players to work to get better. I hope to enjoy improvements everywhere for years to come.
He took Bouk and turned him into a lottery pick too. Jackson has improved compared to how he was last year. The young guys are improving compared to the upperclassmen

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Hurley is one of the best coaches in the country. If he left UConn he signs elsewhere for more money the second he decides to pick up the pen. This thread is proof the XL Center has aged better than The Boneyard.

Reaction Score
I used those 2 because I think they play lots of minutes and rarely produce much for it. The other guys are subs. They play minutes a game for specific purposes. That is a totally different role from a starter who plays 30 plus. Jackson averages 31 Martin 32. Gaffney 10, Polley 20. I agree that Polley is often in too long. Gaffney is a role player. His job is not to screw up While Cole gets a breather.
I would have said this before tonight's game, but now I really mean it: I wish Martin could play more minutes.

As for Jackson, he does need to improve his offensive production, but he does so many exciting things it's hard to say I want anyone else taking any of his minutes.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Fire Hurley and we suck! Wahhhh! The world is coming to an end. We need a new team and a coach who can coach us to undefeated seasons every year, otherwise we will all cry like babies when we lose!
Let's get some more wins with some quality play before trying to mock posters on the board. It was a great win against a +.500 conference opponent

Reaction Score
Let's get some more wins with some quality play before trying to mock posters on the board. It was a great win against a +.500 conference opponent

There’s cry baby as well as lame posters. The ones who call everyone a cry baby that dares to question some play calling during awful games couldn’t wait for a win. Hilarious

Reaction Score
So now we have to temper our mocking of other posters who don’t temper their constant criticism of our coach and the team when they don’t win a game or two? Kinda hypocritical of you to say that.

Reaction Score
There’s cry baby as well as lame posters. The ones who call everyone a cry baby that dares to question some play calling during awful games couldn’t wait for a win. Hilarious
Oh so we are lame posters. So posting hot takes takes after every loss like the world is ending makes for a great post?

Reaction Score
If the posters on the board can react like they do we can mock them. Maybe the mockers should send out resumes for college coaching jobs. Hurley would have another job in a matter of minutes. We are n good hands.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
If the posters on the board can react like they do we can mock them. Maybe the mockers should send out resumes for college coaching jobs. Hurley would have another job in a matter of minutes. We are n good hands.
So now we have to temper our mocking of other posters who don’t temper their constant criticism of our coach and the team when they don’t win a game or two? Kinda hypocritical of you to say that.
And we have posters acting like we’re final four bound after beating LIU and Grambling. I agree the fire Hurley posters are way too much, but the criticisms after losses are fair. Especially when the issues have been talked about for awhile now. I’d wait to mock them until after the season bc it was a good win tonight but it was one after getting throughly embarrassed at Nova and at home vs Creighton.

Reaction Score
And we have posters acting like we’re final four bound after beating LIU and Grambling. I agree the fire Hurley posters are way too much, but the criticisms after losses are fair. Especially when the issues have been talked about for awhile now. I’d wait to mock them until after the season bc it was a good win tonight but it was one after getting throughly embarrassed at Nova and at home vs Creighton.

We didn’t get embarrassed. Villanova and Creighton both played well. It’s not a big deal at all.

Reaction Score
... and that Marquette team is an impressively structured tough group of talent. Shaka Smart is an impressive coach; thrilled to have him in the big East. One night UCONN came together to play. The bottom line is college basketball builds season after season through peaks and valleys to a March. We shall know more about this 2021-2022 UCONN team and program and Hurley over the coming weeks. How exciting ...

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This is the reality. He could nosedive for the next 2-3 years and the university doesn't have the financial wherewithal to get rid of him. Because of the extention we're stuck with him, for good or bad.
Well given that the university has $385 million in cash and cash equivalents, it certainly has the “wherewithal” to “get rid of him”, not that anyone in their right mind thinks that’s a good idea.

Reaction Score
With the talent on this roster, yes, the record could and probably should be better by at least two games but how easily we forget, there are some or even a lot of coaches who would be doing worse (or a lot worse) with this roster....Hurley will get it together, I really do think.

Let's see where UConn is in 2025. If they are still having these 15-7/16-6 type starts time to start asking questions. We seem to be in this position the past few years, lets's get over the hump. Would like to see a 18-4/19-3 start or something like that next year.

Reaction Score
We didn’t get embarrassed. Villanova and Creighton both played well. It’s not a big deal at all.
Nor
There are issues because our overall roster is still not good enough to compete for a championship. Too many holes. Not enough actual depth, measured in players who can come off the bench and contribute today and not what their recruiting profile was while in high school. However, as the roster on paper has gotten better every year, as have the results, over the top criticism at this point is absurd.

If we stop getting better before we’ve gotten where we want to be, then serious complaints are in order. Until then, Monday morning quarterbacking where we pretend we know that time outs are called at the right moment or players we haven’t seen enough of to have an opinion on should be playing — criticisms that come with watching sports — is fine, but it should be within reason and with acceptance that coaching is an art, not a science.

Reaction Score
Don’t make excuses like this. Creighton did not play well. UConn shot horribly that game. It was an awful loss and will continue to look like an awful loss.
So to your point being that we shot horribly, how is that Hurleys fault?

Reaction Score
So to your point being that we shot horribly, how is that Hurleys fault?
Hurley made adjustments last night and had a plan to push the floor and crash the boards. When you don’t shoot well that’s what you do, you exploit numbers, look to get to the hoop and commit to the glass. The other games he was a deer in the headlights. Guy is still learning to apply what he knows in real time. All things are the coach’s fault if they are not in a position to maximize chances of success.

Reaction Score
Why do people think we'll miss the tournament because we lost on the road AT freaking Villanova.

Os it because we lost 2 games in a row?

Here's a list of teams in the Big East that have not lost 2 games in a row this season:
Providence.

End of list.

Here's a list of teams that have had 5-game winning streaks in conference play this season:
Providence
Villanova
UConn

Does that make you feel better?
Yes.
/end thread.

Reaction Score
Don’t make excuses like this. Creighton did not play well. UConn shot horribly that game. It was an awful loss and will continue to look like an awful loss.

Cry about it then. It happens to every team every season.

Reaction Score
"I agree the fire Hurley posters are way too much, but the criticisms after losses are fair" If those criticisms are fair then the criticisms of criticisms after losses are certainly fair as well...To act like we know better than the coach is being delusional

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom