Huskies of Honor: I'm With Stewie | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Huskies of Honor: I'm With Stewie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Was Nykesha Sales gypped by the basketball gods from a scoring record by her injury or did Geno cognizant of what he was doing gypp Kerry Bascom? To think Stewie or anyone is using this word in a racist manner is simply ignorance. A slang term for being cheated no matter where it came from, nothing more, nothing less.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Was Nykesha Sales gypped by the basketball gods from a scoring record by her injury or did Geno cognizant of what he was doing gypp Kerry Bascom? To think Stewie or anyone is using this word in a racist manner is simply ignorance. A slang term for being cheated no matter where it came from, nothing more, nothing less.
some are stuck with what they're stuck with... and want to make a mountain out of a mole hill. seems that they are more upset at the poster than Stewie

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
For the following I'm presuming Morgan is not named to the WBCA All American Team. I hope she makes the team.

Prior to any decision being made about Morgan being on the Wall of Honor, a review needs to be made to determine how many other former players should be considered. What criteria is going to be used? Is it making any All American team or adding one or two to the WBCA team? If a new criteria is going to be used how many of the former players would be added to the wall? Would it lessen the significance of being on the Wall of Honor if 10-20 more players were added? Does Geno/UConn come up with a process similar to Hall of Fame voting to add players who contributed significantly to the program?

Reaction Score
CD does have 10 NC and according to Geno it would not have happened without her.She has 1 AIAW Championship while a starter for Rutgers.

Reaction Score
What criteria is going to be used? Is it making any All American team or adding one or two to the WBCA team? If a new criteria is going to be used how many of the former players would be added to the wall? Would it lessen the significance of being on the Wall of Honor if 10-20 more players were added? Does Geno/UConn come up with a process similar to Hall of Fame voting to add players who contributed significantly to the program?
Yes

Jimbo

Running to Stand Still
Reaction Score
Yes, thankfully this is now a moot question, as to Morgan anyway. Many congratulations to her!!!

For anyone still questioning whether UConn bent or broke its rules in order to put CD's name up on the wall, please listen to the PA announcer on Senior Day:

"The UConn women's basketball program has just one qualifying criteria [sic] for induction as a student-athlete into the Huskies of Honor program. That criteria [sic] is first-team All-America status."

I'd have thought this was obvious, but since neither Geno nor CD was inducted into the Huskies of Honor as a student-athlete, the first-team All-America criterion never applied to them.

Reaction Score
No, no, no.
We still have to get changes rammed through, we must agitate - just because one worthy sneaked in under the wire doesn't mean that we have solved this problem!!! What about Eliot and Jones and Faris and ____.
Keep manning the barricades!
:):eek::confused::eek::rolleyes::p:D:)
I get so much amusement from the boneyard. Thanks for the belly l

Jimbo

Running to Stand Still
Reaction Score
No, no, no.
We still have to get changes rammed through, we must agitate - just because one worthy sneaked in under the wire doesn't mean that we have solved this problem!!! What about Eliot and Jones and Faris and ____.
Keep manning the barricades!
:):eek::confused::eek::rolleyes::p:D:)
Put in TLAW!!!!

Reaction Score
OH.... And if we change the criteria what about Barbara Turner???

IMO the moment UCONN put CD on the wall, they changed the criterion. CD is not a UCONN 1st team a/a. Which is great that she is on. If they win 4 titles, I'd lean toward putting her on the wall. The HOH Wall is a UCONN honor. It is not a binding contract or any binding NCAA rule. The players you mention hat weren't 1stteam a/a aren't as good as Morgan Tuck. So when you say "How about . . . " - the answer is "Morgan Tuck was better."

And there is no useful point to punish yourself if you are UCONN. These Honors are just nice things to do. If Geno is recruiting a monster class at some point in the future, there is a slim possibility the same situation might befall a similar kid like a h/s Morgan Tuck in which she sees UCONN has recruited other super players same year above her. Who knows what goes through a 17 or 18 year olds mind. In some cases 16 when they give verbals. The point is you don't NEED to be so tight when you have someone like Tuck who may very well be a part of history that is never duplicatd again.

Reaction Score
Neither CD or Geno are on their as players so 'not an AA' is a silly statement. When a non-AA player becomes the head coach or the associate head coach with 25 years of experience and a few NCs to their credit, maybe they too can get on the board.

I disagree. This wall was about A/A's. If you want to bring in something other than 1st team A/A that IS an exception. Coaches are an exception tot he rule. Yoru logic is defiantly spot on. However if we were to add logic - then . . .

Winning 4 titles and being side-stepped last year from not getting on - Geno can make a logical decision to put her on.

Others here have said "Well what about so-and-so . . .?" Sorry we are all huskyfans here- imo you put up a poll to ranked the close player imo Tuck wins in a landslide because SHE WAS BETTER than the rest. If we lose this year and she doesn't paly great, that's a different story.

If this isn't good enough then somewhere it has to be widely recognized. Being an all-american (of any kind) and winning 4 titles in 4 years is a Historic Event. We all talk about "team" and even the coaching staff. When you do something and are of something that was never done before and may never be equaled again, that should trump individual a/a. SO maybe you stick something else on the opposite side of the wall. What is being done here is HISTORIC for wcbb. IMO you can't let individualism of an honor trump what has been done. Either include Tuck if UCONN wins with the other 1stteama/'s or put her up in another way as part of History. This is MORE than just individual team banners.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
hoophuskee - Jones in 2002 falls into the exact same category as Morgan did last year, only she didn't get a second chance the next year. Uconn nominated three players - Cash, Bird, and DT, but Jones was as important to that team as any of those three, just like Tuck last year. And the only reason Eliot isn't on the wall is that Uconn was an upstart program in 1995 and didn't get the same consideration for honors as the team does now.

And sorry but Geno and CD are the only two that are essential to that wall - without both of them no one else would be on the wall - so they are not exceptions, they are the foundation of the whole d__n wall!

Reaction Score
Well, Morgan Tuck made the WBCA All-American team with Stewie and MoJeff officially getting her on the wall with her class/team mates!
I hope they unveil it when the team returns from Indianapolis.

Reaction Score
hoophuskee - Jones in 2002 falls into the exact same category as Morgan did last year, only she didn't get a second chance the next year. Uconn nominated three players - Cash, Bird, and DT, but Jones was as important to that team as any of those three, just like Tuck last year. And the only reason Eliot isn't on the wall is that Uconn was an upstart program in 1995 and didn't get the same consideration for honors as the team does now.

And sorry but Geno and CD are the only two that are essential to that wall - without both of them no one else would be on the wall - so they are not exceptions, they are the foundation of the whole d__n wall!

Jones was integral to one team. Not the 99-00 team. Thus she played 4 years - so why should she get 5 years? Tuck played basically three, and my argument WAS (happily no longer relevant because she is in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)) if they win this year then she is an integral part of two titles (vs just the one for Jones). And Tuck's team did something historic over 4 years. And thus Tuck's career had more accomplishments and imo Tuck's junior year was superior to Jones sr year. Tuck shot a higher percentage, has a better efg% and is a better passer. So Tuck is better.

Regarding Jamelle Elliott. She wasn't as good as Tuck nor were her career teams. Tuck's junior year superior to Jamelle in any of her years. I compared Jamelle's title year vs Tucks jr title year, and Tuck averaged more while being more efficient from the floor and was a better passer. Thus Tuck was better.

Reaction Score
[QUOTE="

And sorry but Geno and CD are the only two that are essential to that wall - without both of them no one else would be on the wall - so they are not exceptions, they are the foundation of the whole d__n wall![/QUOTE]

We can agree to disagree. They are exceptions. They aren't a/a's. That was - they said- it was for A/A's. Nothign I recall was said about "foundations." If we want to bring in "foundations" then imo Tuck may be "a foundation" for a Historic Event that may never to be equaled again in the History of WCBB.

Reaction Score
Whilst it's problematic to change the rules for letting this or that one in, consider this. Today, it is (almost) impossible for 3 players to be selected from the same team as AA. If it is indeed the coaches who decide the 2 people then their is selection already involved. Would Morgan have made AA this year if the team decided to send her name up (perhaps they did so) instead of Stewart? I'm sure Stewart would have seconded it. Would the comm. abide accordingly or just picked another player from another program. Perhaps it's time to move to another model: form a comm. make up former captains, coaches, the usual 2 students, 2 season ticket holders and 1 outside coach and/or sport broadcaster. Just a stab at it.

Reaction Score
[QUOTE="

We can agree to disagree. They are exceptions. They aren't a/a's. That was - they said- it was for A/A's. Nothign I recall was said about "foundations." If we want to bring in "foundations" then imo Tuck may be "a foundation" for a Historic Event that may never to be equaled again in the History of WCBB.[/QUOTE]

As you said HWH is a Huskies Wall of Honors. AA is just 1 (ONE) criteria not the only one. That's why CD is on it.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
We can agree to disagree. They are exceptions. They aren't a/a's. That was - they said- it was for A/A's. Nothign I recall was said about "foundations." If we want to bring in "foundations" then imo Tuck may be "a foundation" for a Historic Event that may never to be equaled again in the History of WCBB.

As you said HWH is a Huskies Wall of Honors. AA is just 1 (ONE) criteria not the only one. That's why CD is on it.[/QUOTE]
I think Geno said it is my wall and I make the rules. For a player to go up on the wall they have to be first team AA. There are NO exceptions on the wall at this time. There are multiple categories like for any hall of fame in any sport - players, coaches, media personalities, owners/commissioners/others. To not recognize that is just being obtuse.

I love what Morgan has meant to this program and I am very happy that she 'earned' the right to be on the wall by being named an AA this year, but I would have been equally unhappy if she was added to the wall for an 'exception' when there are so many equally worthy candidates for whom regardless of sentimentality no exception was made. Essential to championships - Jessica Moore and Maria Conlon (3), Asjha Jones and Ann Strother and Barb Turner and Kelly Faris (2), Jamelle Elliott (the most important 1) to name a few.

Reaction Score
As you said HWH is a Huskies Wall of Honors. AA is just 1 (ONE) criteria not the only one. That's why CD is on it.
I think Geno said it is my wall and I make the rules. For a player to go up on the wall they have to be first team AA. There are NO exceptions on the wall at this time. There are multiple categories like for any hall of fame in any sport - players, coaches, media personalities, owners/commissioners/others. To not recognize that is just being obtuse.

I love what Morgan has meant to this program and I am very happy that she 'earned' the right to be on the wall by being named an AA this year, but I would have been equally unhappy if she was added to the wall for an 'exception' when there are so many equally worthy candidates for whom regardless of sentimentality no exception was made. Essential to championships - Jessica Moore and Maria Conlon (3), Asjha Jones and Ann Strother and Barb Turner and Kelly Faris (2), Jamelle Elliott (the most important 1) to name a few.[/QUOTE]

You're right Geno is the decider. And he has changed his mind in the past on other issues and I was in agreement with Stewie - "put her on" - with me -- "if she wins." She'd be a relevant part of HISTORY that no class has ever experienced. I think eventually he would have done it. Can't prove it. But he is getting softer. Lobo and Wolters have said it- I think other player's too.

I do disagree big time with "equally deserving" of all the other players you mentioned vs Morgan Tuck if they win title 4. There is no way I consider those players as good as Morgan Tuck. I put Tuck in the Swin and Shea tier. That surpasses every player you have mentioned. IMO to not put Tuck in the tier of Cash/Ralph - if she wins title number 4- is to not give her her just due. What has so far been done here these past 4 years is historic. In that case as time went by I would have been more and more disappointed he didn't put her on the wall in some way because he already had allowed for an exception. But as you say it is his wall and I'm only a fan.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Geno reiterated for the XXths time 2 days ago that Morgan was robbed last year. I am so happy that this has become an academic question for Morgan. But it will arise again (if we are lucky) and I am firmly of the belief that the penultimate prize for UConn Husky WCBB Greats should not be left to the AA process. Hell, put another bunch of banners up for AAs, but how UConn WCBB defines greatness is up to UConn. Who knows better the contributions toward greatness, legacy, dynasty.

Reaction Score
I have been in the camp of, "Let's do it by the book and let the chips fall where they may, but maintain the integrity of the 'Huskies of Honor' distinction." I'm super glad that the chips fell for Morgan and she got in, because I think she deserves it.

But I also think we should recognize that, regardless that she got a ring for her redshirt year, technically she was not an active player on the roster that year and therefore didn't "win" 4 championships. She could attempt to rectify this, however - as well as try to get a 5th ring :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
duke79

Top Bottom