Huskies didn't stick around | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Huskies didn't stick around

Reaction Score
Sorry but the title of this thread is inappopriately accusatory. I would be very surprised if ANY team ever stuck around after elimination. Did UCLA or Maryland stay in Bridgeport after losing in the semis?
Dumb title.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Sorry but the title of this thread is inappopriately accusatory. I would be very surprised if ANY team ever stuck around after elimination. Did UCLA or Maryland stay in Bridgeport after losing in the semis?
Dumb title.

Maybe they wanted to stay but couldnt get tickets :p :rolleyes:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The NCAA pays specific dollars toward costs of the teams in the final 4. The teams that don't make the final game get a lesser reimbursement. So in effect they have to pay on their own if they stay.
My recollection of the final fours we attended is that it is rare for teams to stick around after they lose. In fact, I wonder if they would not have left on Saturday if not for some of the awards made on Saturday. I also believe Geno may host a big dinner Saturday night, but I'm not certain of that.
I fully understand this. Having to pay if you stay is a good reason not to stay-no dispute here. What I dispute is UCONN did not stay because they had to get back for classes on Monday.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I seem to remember a UConn team staying to watch a final that they were not in. Geno made them stay. The team looked very disinterested, and not happy to be there. Could have been a Big East Final, or NCAA final. Geno was trying to make a point to the team, this is what you are playing for. ( Of course, it all could have been a dream. Does anyone else remember this?)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Dumb title.
Fell free to read beyond the title and you will find @DaddyChoc
asking this question "Have other teams stuck around to watch UConn win the last 4 titles?"
There was nothing inappropriate or accusatory about the post because you can't accuse unless you know the answer to that question.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I seem to remember a UConn team staying to watch a final that they were not in. Geno made them stay. The team looked very disinterested, and not happy to be there. Could have been a Big East Final, or NCAA final. Geno was trying to make a point to the team, this is what you are playing for. ( Of course, it all could have been a dream. Does anyone else remember this?)
It was the Big East tourney when they lost to Villanova.

Reaction Score
Yes - vaguely. Believe it was a Big East tourney. I think his message was that it was only courteous/sportsmanlike to hang around and watch, not pout and go home.

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score

Big East Final... I don't remember the year...

I can't stand this... I couldn't even watch the championship game... When does the next season start?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
It was the Big East tourney when they lost to Villanova.

Coach Hatchell did that in 2015 for the ACC Finals. Even though the finals were on Sunday... and the Heels lost on Friday night. Needless to say they didnt seem too enthused. Hatchell also made the team stay on the bench after the 2013 Championship.... and had to watch the Duke celebration :D

Reaction Score
I can't stand this... I couldn't even watch the championship game... When does the next season start?
Amen. Congrats to SC. But just too painful. If that makes me a bad sport, then I guess I'll carry the sin to the grave. Anyway, MSU and SC don't need my blessing. They proved they belonged.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I believe the NCAA only pays for you as long as you win. At lest that is how it was in Div. 3 for the bear cub.

Reaction Score
From a player's perspective, it is not too exciting to play for the title of , "best also ran." A game against Stanford would, at this time, have no meaning so it would not have the intensity you want. The players are tired and disappointed. They want to go home and forget about this. So they go home. But they won't be able to forget. Probably a good thing. I do agree that this is a team of champions, even without the title. It would be great if the student body, and anyone for whom it is convenient, could show that. But I think they know that they are loved and admired. Time now to go. For everything must end.

I wanted to record a video of a couple of Oral Roberts players in the Summit League Tournament after their game a few weeks ago. I coordinated it with their PR guy but told him "I hope they don't lose cause they're not going to feel like talking if that happens".

Sure enough they lost and I waited for about 45 minutes after the game and he finally came out and said that they didn't want to do the interview.

You can understand how players feel after a loss. This loss was pretty monumental. They probably just want to get it off their minds.

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
I've been to a number of Final 4's and the losing teams never hang around for the final game.

The only FF championship game I hung around for was in St Louis when the Leprechaun beat us in the semis & then went on to win it all. No interest in doing that again. I also didn't watch the game last night.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Yes - vaguely. Believe it was a Big East tourney. I think his message was that it was only courteous/sportsmanlike to hang around and watch, not pout and go home.
The game was in Hartford, so it's not as if there was much travel involved.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I don't recall the team sticking around after semi-final NCAA losses. One year, Geno did, but he was President of the WBCA, so he had to.

Reaction Score
If they stayed I would have been fine with it but with our state budget I appreciate them not running up the tab.

Reaction Score
It was Big East, quite a few years ago.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom