Huskies All Access show on SNY | The Boneyard

Huskies All Access show on SNY

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Wow. That was an amazing show. Not only was the content compelling, but the way it was produced and put together was first-rate.

Some things (out of many) that stand out:

• Geno letting the UCLA coaching staff sit in and watch his practices is a microcosm of his fundamental generosity and willingness to help build the game. Not sure what else needs to be said there.
  • Good gravy, Shea has some guns on her.
  • This team doesn't have a primary focal point, but it has a number of kids who play different kinds of leadership roles. Stef (the goof), Bria (more serious teacher), and Kelly (the ultimate example) really seemed to stand out in that one hour show.
  • Brianna's attitude, already well documented, is really exciting. I am all in on this team if she plays at a high level. She's exactly the kind of athlete you should be able to sick on another team's best guard after they've already had to deal with Bria and/or Kelly and just suck the life out of them. As much as Baylor's success depends on Griner, having multiple players you can throw at Sims is almost as critical.
  • Morgan is going to play. A lot.
  • It seems like Kiah doesn't quite get it yet, not in a sense that a layperson would likely recognize, but in the sense that Geno still understands better than she does what her ceiling is. I hope/wish she's able to call and/or spend some time with Tina Charles because a) like Tina, she's going to be ridden hard until she reaches her potential, and b) like Tina, she was born to play center at an elite level.
A lot of other thoughts, but I'm exhausted and am headed to bed. Bottom line, if you missed this, find a way to watch it. It was like crack, only better for your teeth.

Reaction Score
SNY did a great job with the two hour show. It was just fantastic to see how Geno runs an actual practice. I'm looking forward to the game Sunday.

Reaction Score
Wow. That was an amazing show. Not only was the content compelling, but the way it was produced and put together was first-rate.

Some things (out of many) that stand out:

• Geno letting the UCLA coaching staff sit in and watch his practices is a microcosm of his fundamental generosity and willingness to help build the game. Not sure what else needs to be said there.
  • Good gravy, Shea has some guns on her.
  • This team doesn't have a primary focal point, but it has a number of kids who play different kinds of leadership roles. Stef (the goof), Bria (more serious teacher), and Kelly (the ultimate example) really seemed to stand out in that one hour show.
  • Brianna's attitude, already well documented, is really exciting. I am all in on this team if she plays at a high level. She's exactly the kind of athlete you should be able to sick on another team's best guard after they've already had to deal with Bria and/or Kelly and just suck the life out of them. As much as Baylor's success depends on Griner, having multiple players you can throw at Sims is almost as critical.
  • Morgan is going to play. A lot.
  • It seems like Kiah doesn't quite get it yet, not in a sense that a layperson would likely recognize, but in the sense that Geno still understands better than she does what her ceiling is. I hope/wish she's able to call and/or spend some time with Tina Charles because a) like Tina, she's going to be ridden hard until she reaches her potential, and b) like Tina, she was born to play center at an elite level.
A lot of other thoughts, but I'm exhausted and am headed to bed. Bottom line, if you missed this, find a way to watch it. It was like crack, only better for your teeth.

You must not have seen the game Wednesday, to say that Kiah doesn't get it. 7 blocks, 4 assists, 6 rebounds, 1 steal. She was one of the stars of the game.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
You must not have seen the game Wednesday, to say that Kiah doesn't get it. 7 blocks, 4 assists, 6 rebounds, 1 steal. She was one of the stars of the game.
"It seems like Kiah doesn't quite get it yet, not in a sense that a layperson would likely recognize, but in the sense that Geno still understands better than she does what her ceiling is"

I have no idea how Kiah's stats in an exhibition game would either support or refute my statement. This is about her ceiling as a basketball player and what Geno explicitly said on the show he thinks she can be versus what he's seen thus far.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I have no idea how Kiah's stats in an exhibition game would either support or refute my statement. This is about her ceiling as a basketball player and what Geno explicitly said on the show he thinks she can be versus what he's seen thus far.
Agree alex.

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
I think you missed the point of Alex's statement, and Alex correct me if I am wrong. He is saying that Kiah doesn't yet realize how good she can be - not that she doesn't get the system of play. ie, Geno thinks Kiah can have that stat line every night, where as Kiah may feel she may have had her best performance ever and it will be hard to duplicate.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I think you missed the point of Alex's statement, and Alex correct me if I am wrong. He is saying that Kiah doesn't yet realize how good she can be - not that she doesn't get the system of play. ie, Geno thinks Kiah can have that stat line every night, where as Kiah may feel she may have had her best performance ever and it will be hard to duplicate.
Exactly, bruin, the comment was Geno's and it was based against her potential and the need to pursue that potential everyday, every game.

Reaction Score
Does anyone know if and when they will be replaying this 2 hour show?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Does anyone know if and when they will be replaying this 2 hour show?
check the listings. it will tell you when it's going to be replayed... i managed to catch most of it and echo Alex's sentiments. I also found it really interesting the interviews with Geno - while driving in his car to "work" and what his expectations were for that particular day at practice.

It also gives you an idea of just how hard these kids work - a 3-hour practice followed by a gym workout - i'm not sure if that's every day, but it certainly is not easy for them.

I also thought it was great how they did a little snippet on most of the players (i missed the first part so not sure if they did all of them). And it helps one understand just why Geno is one of the best coaches - He's literally out on the court a lot directing, watching, showing, explaining, etc etc. Great stuff...

Reaction Score
The two shows, and those to follow for the remainder of the year will be Uconn's greatest recruiting tool. How could any potential recruit not want to be a Husky after seeing that?

It showed the true flavor of what it's like to be a member of the Husky family. It's not just basketball. It showed the wisdom of selecting players for their personalities and not just for their basketball skills. It showed Geno's coaching genius and how his tough love always has a point that benefits the players. It showed the skills possessed by the entire coaching staff. But most of all, with a group of the top players in the nation, an environment where egos can easily come into play, it demonstrated how the focus is on the team, not the individual. This is the keystone of Uconn's success.

How could any parent want more for their child than this program provides?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I was traveling so missed the show last night but got to watch the All Access part just now on replay. May not get to watch the first hour until I get back to my other DVR as I do not see that one listed for replay in the next two days.
WOW!
That was a great production. They had multiple cameras going during the practices - a few times you could see a second cameraman in the shot. Great interviews with each of the players and some really good extended practice video. Enjoyed the shots of Geno discussing what was happening with the UCLA staff as well.
On having other teams/coaches watch practice - Geno has done that throughout the years as do a lot of other coaches. Coaching really is a fraternity and helping out other coaches happens a lot. If I remember correctly, the first or second year at Louisville JW asked if his team could watch a Uconn practice which is the only time I remember Geno doing that within the BE.
Bummer for Pope the walk-on candidate that she got injured.

Reaction Score
I really enjoyed seeing CD, Marissa and Shea in coaching action. We have seen plenty of snippets of Geno, being both harshly critical and positive and complimentary. But we rarely see footage of the other coaches. They work just as hard as Geno. And loved that they included a bit about the men practice players. They are an important part of the process of making the Huskies the best they can be.

Reaction Score
Glad you guys were able to see it... I didn't. damned SNY.tv

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member