Hurley's Ego | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Hurley's Ego

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
When JC won his second title in 2004 did he get complacent and let success change him? I don’t believe so. We had stacked teams in 2006 and 2009 that easily could have won titles. We won it all again in 2011. He never lost his confidence or his fire even through all the success he had. Calhoun was so successful because of his personality. His intensity, toughness, passion, competitive spirit, the underdog mentality. He rubbed a lot of people the wrong way, but you always heard that the incredible stories about how he truly cared for his players and his family/friends. He wasn’t a fake or a phony, what you saw is what you got. He was confident is his abilities and he wasn’t going to sugarcoat anything or be distracted from reality. I wouldn’t call that an ego.

The reason Hurley is the right fit for UConn is because he embodies everything that Calhoun was. I don’t see DH getting complacent. He lives and breathes this. If he has an ego he would have been on the first plane to Lexington on Tuesday morning chasing the money.
Hurley is not like Calhoun personality wise and that’s fine. He’s his own man.

Hurley definitely has a feeling of wanting to be liked (the media absolutely loves him in a way they never did for Calhoun but Calhoun also couldn’t give 2 poops about what the media thought). Calhoun was also a lot more humble in these press conferences. Just check out how cool, calm, and collected he was after his first championship.

It’s not a sin for Hurley, especially when he wins like he does. I just think it’s false to say Calhoun carried himself in the same manner, or Geno for that matter.

Reaction Score
As great a coach as Hurley has been, his large ego is a concern now that he has become very famous in the world of Hoops. Does anyone see this as a potential issue? Will he be able to stay focused on the team...?
What about Hurley's feet?

I know this is very nuanced and intellectual but what if Hurleys feet get too big? Would he be able to fit on the sideline? Where would he he able to buy shoes? With the biggest feet in college basketball would he be able to focus on coaching?

As for his ego, what about his id and superego. Freud thinks that those are just as important. What if his id got out of control? That would be a much larger problem than a big ego or big feet. Could he work though that?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I realized this OP post was a bit nuanced for the Boneyard. But when you look at famous atheletes and hollywood types, they often have problems with their egos when they get rich and famous. Danny certainly has a lot more fame to deal with now. I expect him to work though it all, but it is a challenge for anyone. Another interesting thing demonstrated in this thread is how rabid many UCONN fans are and attack anyone not praising our beloved leader... Nothing like good old mob mentality in higher education... but I guess sports are a bit of a release for our aggresive animal instincts...
Remember when we used to get good trolls? Now they all just seem to work off the playbook. Next step "why are you personally attacking me? Don't they allow different positions on this website?"

CL82

Reaction Score
I know this is very nuanced and intellectual but what if Hurleys feet get too big? Would he be able to fit on the sideline? Where would he he able to buy shoes? With the biggest feet in college basketball would he be able to focus on coaching?
Not sure, but I've long considered Hurley's oversized feet as the most logical explanation for his difficulty in staying in the coaching box. Coaching boxes have not been expanded since the 1950s, and shoe size has gone up considerably for coaches since then.

(By the way, nice avatar Pal!)

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Remember when we used to get good trolls?
I'm gonna need you to refresh my memory on that. Other than Kobe, I'm not remembering any good ones, unless you count ADub's commitment to posting that Arby's is good.

CL82

Reaction Score
I'm gonna need you to refresh my memory on that. Other than Kobe, I'm not remembering any good ones, unless you count ADub's commitment to posting that Arby's is good.
Kobe was a quality troll. His game is kind of off. FriarJ used to be pretty good too, but he's been broken ever since Cooley left.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I’m good with Hurley forever. He wants to inflate his ego, just make sure his office is large enough to accommodate his desired parameters.

2 time consecutive National Champ. Coach of the Year.
The dude has achieved coaching junior GOAT status at age 51.

Reaction Score
What about Hurley's feet?

As for his ego, what about his id and superego. Freud thinks that those are just as important. What if his id got out of control? That would be a much larger problem than a big ego or big feet. Could he work though that?
I’m more of a Jungian myself. I believe there’s an entire section of the Red Book dealing with coaching and the psychology behind it.

Reaction Score
Kobe was a quality troll. His game is kind of off. FriarJ used to be pretty good too, but he's been broken ever since Cooley left.
Funniest troll I can remember would come to the football board once a year, before the Cincinnati game. He'd post a long diatribe amping up the matchup, finish it with something like "I fully expect both teams to leave it out on the field and for this to be an all-timer"

Then post a prediction like 66-3 Cinci. Had me rolling every time

Reaction Score
Kobe still comes with some heaters. Hard to effectively troll as a fan of a mid-tier college athletics program in a different conference though. I think he does pretty well for what he’s got to work with.

Reaction Score
Funniest troll I can remember would come to the football board once a year, before the Cincinnati game. He'd post a long diatribe amping up the matchup, finish it with something like "I fully expect both teams to leave it out on the field and for this to be an all-timer"

Then post a prediction like 66-3 Cinci. Had me rolling every time
We had a terrible record against them from 2001 to 2019, so we were the ones who got rolled. Not as bad as 66-3, but not great either.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
As great a coach as Hurley has been, his large ego is a concern now that he has become very famous in the world of Hoops. Does anyone see this as a potential issue? Will he be able to stay focused on the team...?

I popped into this thread yesterday as a 'delay tactic,' when I felt some anxiety before getting out of the car to join an unfamiliar yoga class in a style I associate with greater vigor & speed of movement than my aging body and active mind usually prefer.

My equanimity was already agitated by the tone and nature of Boneyard members dragging on Kentucky citizens and Kentucky basketball fans in harsh tones too broadly applied for my tastes & lived experience. In simplicity, I offered that our thread about Kentucky BBN participants displayed many of the worst attributes that were objected to in others.

I finally pushed through resistance, stepped out of the car, and heard loud & thumping music coming from the direction of the outdoor covered gathering space next to the Old Forester's Paristown Hall concert venue, where the class was assembled and in progress.

I quickly determined that the music came from beyond Christy's Garden, and was the cause from Brent Street being closed off and requiring me to reroute to the public parking lot at the far side of the Paristown area, along the edge of the elevated railroad tracks that carry enormously-configured slow-moving trains, with an amazing variety of cars & loads of raw & finished goods and livestock & natural resources that are part of a vast system that coordinates the largest working river in the Eastern US; 3 major interstates that connect Chicago through Nashville down to Mobile Bay, Hampton Roads to St Louis and the Missouri River, and (Great) Lake Erie in Cleveland by way of Cincinnati & Columbus; and, yes, the UPS Worldport at Muhammad Ali International Airport, which is second in the US and 4th in the world for airfreight volume (trailing only Memphis, the home base for FedEx).

I determined that the music was going to impact the yoga class enough for me to re-imagined my visit as a recon for this inaugurating series of outdoor public yoga classes in the run-up to the Kentucky Derby Festival, which officially kicks off on April 20th with Thunder Over Louisville, North America's largest firework show that caps off the earlier airshow that runs along the Ohio River north of Downtown. It's all quite 'not too bad' for a place that we from CT and the Northeast too often dismiss as a place infested with toothless inbreds as far back as the nation's founding, when Kentucky was part of the Virginia before becoming the 15th US state a mere 368 days after the 13th of the original colonies (Rhode Island) ratified the US Constitution.

What I came up on was a lively 'diverse' gathering that I eventually learned was the final rehearsal for a runway fashion show with Derby-themed, self-constructed costumes, and all of the usual markers that Louisville is welcoming to the weird in ways that can make it much more viable than the so-called coastal cultural elites (and the incurious tagalongs who dislike them) imagine.

I slipped into the Village Market food hall for an apple fritter from Jeff's Donuts, which solidified that I'd jettisoned the yoga, and decided that the item not surprisingly tastes better when bought where it's made round-the-clock on Dutchman's Road, in between the general aviation airport at Bowman Field - which has always been notable for its long runways to accommodate private jets flying in from all points on the globe for earliest May weekend guests who comprise, in part, the upper register of Derby visitors.

After the pageantry, I headed over to meet the yoga teachers and set myself for the next 2nd Thursday evening class. Nice connections came my way, and I encountered my third of three people who engaged me in friendly, respectful, congratulatory, and sufficiently informed conversation that leveraged my being attired in UCONN-emblazened hat & sweatshirt.

The late 20s donut guy initially joked about not serving me on the basis of my gear. The young 20s woman who told what the the fashion thing was, knew that Hurley was being targeted but wasn't yet aware of the minutes-before report of his rejection of the 8-year, 9-figure offer as per Matt Norlander. And the 40+ yogini surprised me the most by having full-range sense and considered opinion of Calipari's full UK span and his sustained inability to get the full job done for too long to continue. I'd never guess on such conversation if I were in some comparable settings in similarly-vibed New Haven.

This is all by way of saying that my prior comments came solely from my first impression of the OP, and dropped into some impressions offered on, I think, page 3 of this thread, so I got intrigued by what might really be in here, and I'm glad I've revisited.

It turns out that I like this thread quite much. There's a good quality blend of rejection, outrage, put-down, snark, passion, perceptive loyalty, considered assessment of the human condition, and more.

I've chosen a bunch of earlier-in-the-thread comments for brief comment, and I'll be back after them with some thoughts up until to the point that "more was revealed."

I might have something to say about comments that continue to the present, but they may not feel 'necessary' then.

Thanks for kicking things off here. I think you brought a lot of good out.

You've posted 5x in the last 4 years and THIS is what you come up with?

A perfect out-of-the-box snapback, in that it was my first thought too.

I'll add a fun observation a bit down the scroll, way way way too far down for me to think you'll see it, but contextually better positioned.

Intense dude from an intense family.

Post/avatar

Hurley is an authentic self. Great coach. Nothing to worry about.

It's not out of line for somebody to have wondered and this poster to have asked the larger forum's opinion of a self-identified "concern." If it has been written as "potential concern," it might gotten a better reception, though I'm not sure that a nuanced qualifier would have fared much better. Not a criticism of you either way.

My emphasis here is that it's not a certainty that your third sentence will hold in perpetuity, given that we live in a world where consensus seems to favor that "change is the only constant."

To be clear, proceeding today in accordance with your third sentence is fine with me. I'm just more insistent at such moments that I remind myself that life unfolds one day* at a time.

* Or whichever time measurement unit, adjusted downward, works best for some with a felt need to do so in order to derive 'benefit' equivalent to the intention effectively 'designed' into the ODAT orientation/moniker. For one example, "one breath at a time" applies for some people and some circumstances.

My only problem is [Hurley's] getting into it with opposing fans. Just ignore those clowns

Particularly because of media propensity to exploit any perceived opportunity to stir the pot, I'll add your thought to my ever-evolving "growing edge" list for continued observation. I'm inclined toward speculating that we'll see favorable growth in this area. I don't know at what pace, and those with certain agendas or a susceptibility to certain framings, will likely continue to drive with outdated maps when it serves their interests.

The other four posts demonstrate you are a UConn fan and your assessment of the teams the past two years based on the scrimmages you attended were quite accurate.

Hurley does not have a large ego, at least by the definition of ego. He is genuine with his complements of his coaching staff and players. Someone with a large ego rarely shares success with others. Now if you want to say he behaves like a donkey at times no one including Dan will argue with you. He loses his control of what some would describe as social filters. However he also sometimes behaves in a less polite manner with a purpose. Putting a spotlight on himself takes away the distraction his players might get. Putting a spotlight on himself increases the focus the UConn program/BE will get in the national media. Putting a focus on himself will attract a certain type of recruit - the recruit who has not only a bb passion but a passion to win. It give us the best chance to continue with success.

It makes him a target with his detractors and endears him to his supporters. He is never going to be beige.

Matt Painter is beige. Loved his post game interviews. He's a nice guy at least in appearance. But forgettable. No will forget Dan. No one will forget UConn. If he continues to have success the UConn brand will get larger.

I loved seeing that somebody else had looked further than merely the low post count, and I had formed very much your same impression before reading your first paragraph. If I hadn't already been delighted by your 're-introduction' within that particular mojo post, I'd have thought that this entry was a worthy successor to/reminder of that disappeared poster whose balanced takes and considerate expression of them I missed.

Here, I offer an 'Easter egg' of sorts. In at least one of those 4 prior posts by @Savos -- maybe the assessment of the team after the 2023 Blue/White scrimmage -- @husky429 registered a Like. I didn't click to see who else Liked any of the others. It was one of those "[somebody] and [#] others reacted to this post" things that I came upon while searching for OP's prior posts on a rather binary, "Is this guy a troll or not?" inquiry.

And then we got this...

I realized Uconn fans are rabid right now after an amazing repeat, but I am a UCONN BB season ticket holder, have been a fan for decades, and have attended 3 of Uconn's final four matchess. This video from our Duke antaganist may have influenced me:
But when Hurley starts saying we have the prefect recipe, etc. , I worry aboy this ego. Hopefully he stays focus...

This saisfies my thirst for context, and simply repeat that the original post more accurately identified an area of "potential concern." Many examples rebut the non-qualified thrust, but it does not mean it cannot or will not emerged, much of which I've already discussed.

You know how they have burner phones?

I'm thinking this is like a "burner" BY account that someone uses when they get bored and want to stir the....you know...for kicks and giggles.

Mission accomplished it seems if I'm correct.

This is a terrific comment, especially for its placement within the discussion.

Functionally/practically, only OP could confirm or deny this, and I'm not thinking it would matter either way.

No matter what, this is a great example of, "What might this odd thing before me be the product of for it to make more sense?"

Now, I can hit send and see where things have gone in the past 20+ hours or so in this thread and else in this forum. I'm only up to date knowing that Mark Pope is going to UK.

Is Cooley heading to BYU?

Oh my, I just got a partial pop-up from my sister, a text that literally started and stopped with the headline of a presumably-forwarded news report: "UConn's Clingan ...," and I will hit Post Reply before clicking in the now-vanished alert. Whee...

CL82

Reaction Score
Kobe still comes with some heaters. Hard to effectively troll as a fan of a mid-tier college athletics program in a different conference though. I think he does pretty well for what he’s got to work with.
True, he's a fan of a midtier program that was bought off the discount rack by the big 12. That has to take your spirit a little bit.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I popped into this thread yesterday as a 'delay tactic,' when I felt some anxiety before getting out of the car to join an unfamiliar yoga class in a style I associate with greater vigor & speed of movement than my aging body and active mind usually prefer.

My equanimity was already agitated by the tone and nature of Boneyard members dragging on Kentucky citizens and Kentucky basketball fans in harsh tones too broadly applied for my tastes & lived experience. In simplicity, I offered that our thread about Kentucky BBN participants displayed many of the worst attributes that were objected to in others.

I finally pushed through resistance, stepped out of the car, and heard loud & thumping music coming from the direction of the outdoor covered gathering space next to the Old Forester's Paristown Hall concert venue, where the class was assembled and in progress.

I quickly determined that the music came from beyond Christy's Garden, and was the cause from Brent Street being closed off and requiring me to reroute to the public parking lot at the far side of the Paristown area, along the edge of the elevated railroad tracks that carry enormously-configured slow-moving trains, with an amazing variety of cars & loads of raw & finished goods and livestock & natural resources that are part of a vast system that coordinates the largest working river in the Eastern US; 3 major interstates that connect Chicago through Nashville down to Mobile Bay, Hampton Roads to St Louis and the Missouri River, and (Great) Lake Erie in Cleveland by way of Cincinnati & Columbus; and, yes, the UPS Worldport at Muhammad Ali International Airport, which is second in the US and 4th in the world for airfreight volume (trailing only Memphis, the home base for FedEx).

I determined that the music was going to impact the yoga class enough for me to re-imagined my visit as a recon for this inaugurating series of outdoor public yoga classes in the run-up to the Kentucky Derby Festival, which officially kicks off on April 20th with Thunder Over Louisville, North America's largest firework show that caps off the earlier airshow that runs along the Ohio River north of Downtown. It's all quite 'not too bad' for a place that we from CT and the Northeast too often dismiss as a place infested with toothless inbreds as far back as the nation's founding, when Kentucky was part of the Virginia before becoming the 15th US state a mere 368 days after the 13th of the original colonies (Rhode Island) ratified the US Constitution.

What I came up on was a lively 'diverse' gathering that I eventually learned was the final rehearsal for a runway fashion show with Derby-themed, self-constructed costumes, and all of the usual markers that Louisville is welcoming to the weird in ways that can make it much more viable than the so-called coastal cultural elites (and the incurious tagalongs who dislike them) imagine.

I slipped into the Village Market food hall for an apple fritter from Jeff's Donuts, which solidified that I'd jettisoned the yoga, and decided that the item not surprisingly tastes better when bought where it's made round-the-clock on Dutchman's Road, in between the general aviation airport at Bowman Field - which has always been notable for its long runways to accommodate private jets flying in from all points on the globe for earliest May weekend guests who comprise, in part, the upper register of Derby visitors.

After the pageantry, I headed over to meet the yoga teachers and set myself for the next 2nd Thursday evening class. Nice connections came my way, and I encountered my third of three people who engaged me in friendly, respectful, congratulatory, and sufficiently informed conversation that leveraged my being attired in UCONN-emblazened hat & sweatshirt.

The late 20s donut guy initially joked about not serving me on the basis of my gear. The young 20s woman who told what the the fashion thing was, knew that Hurley was being targeted but wasn't yet aware of the minutes-before report of his rejection of the 8-year, 9-figure offer as per Matt Norlander. And the 40+ yogini surprised me the most by having full-range sense and considered opinion of Calipari's full UK span and his sustained inability to get the full job done for too long to continue. I'd never guess on such conversation if I were in some comparable settings in similarly-vibed New Haven.

This is all by way of saying that my prior comments came solely from my first impression of the OP, and dropped into some impressions offered on, I think, page 3 of this thread, so I got intrigued by what might really be in here, and I'm glad I've revisited.

It turns out that I like this thread quite much. There's a good quality blend of rejection, outrage, put-down, snark, passion, perceptive loyalty, considered assessment of the human condition, and more.

I've chosen a bunch of earlier-in-the-thread comments for brief comment, and I'll be back after them with some thoughts up until to the point that "more was revealed."

I might have something to say about comments that continue to the present, but they may not feel 'necessary' then.

I'll add a fun observation a bit down the scroll, way way way too far down for me to think you'll see it, but contextually better positioned.

Post/avatar

It's not out of line for somebody to have wondered and this poster to have asked the larger forum's opinion of a self-identified "concern." If it has been written as "potential concern," it might gotten a better reception, though I'm not sure that a nuanced qualifier would have fared much better. Not a criticism of you either way.

My emphasis here is that it's not a certainty that your third sentence will hold in perpetuity, given that we live in a world where consensus seems to favor that "change is the only constant."

To be clear, proceeding today in accordance with your third sentence is fine with me. I'm just more insistent at such moments that I remind myself that life unfolds one day* at a time.

* Or whichever time measurement unit, adjusted downward, works best for some with a felt need to do so in order to derive 'benefit' equivalent to the intention effectively 'designed' into the ODAT orientation/moniker. For one example, "one breath at a time" applies for some people and some circumstances.

Particularly because of media propensity to exploit any perceived opportunity to stir the pot, I'll add your thought to my ever-evolving "growing edge" list for continued observation. I'm inclined toward speculating that we'll see favorable growth in this area. I don't know at what pace, and those with certain agendas or a susceptibility to certain framings, will likely continue to drive with outdated maps when it serves their interests.

I loved seeing that somebody else had looked further than merely the low post count, and I had formed very much your same impression before reading your first paragraph. If I hadn't already been delighted by your 're-introduction' within that particular mojo post, I'd have thought that this entry was a worthy successor to/reminder of that disappeared poster whose balanced takes and considerate expression of them I missed.

Here, I offer an 'Easter egg' of sorts. In at least one of those 4 prior posts by @Savos -- maybe the assessment of the team after the 2023 Blue/White scrimmage -- @husky429 registered a Like. I didn't click to see who else Liked any of the others. It was one of those "[somebody] and [#] others reacted to this post" things that I came upon while searching for OP's prior posts on a rather binary, "Is this guy a troll or not?" inquiry.

And then we got this...

This saisfies my thirst for context, and simply repeat that the original post more accurately identified an area of "potential concern." Many examples rebut the non-qualified thrust, but it does not mean it cannot or will not emerged, much of which I've already discussed.

Functionally/practically, only OP could confirm or deny this, and I'm not thinking it would matter either way.

No matter what, this is a great example of, "What might this odd thing before me be the product of for it to make more sense?"

Now, I can hit send and see where things have gone in the past 20+ hours or so in this thread and else in this forum. I'm only up to date knowing that Mark Pope is going to UK.

Oh my, I just got a partial pop-up from my sister, a text that literally started and stopped with the headline of a presumably-forwarded news report: "UConn's Clingan ...," and I will hit Post Reply before clicking in the now-vanished alert. Whee...
All due respect, there’s no way you think someone is reading all this Hans lol

CL82

Reaction Score

Post/avatar

And then we got this...

I'm not going lie, I didn't actually read this and my thumb actually cramped up a little bit just trying to scroll by it.

Reaction Score

Their loss then, but regarding your point, Hans is pretty self aware (underlining mine)

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
As long as you might think someone wrote it, I'm good.

An inspired-by-you bonus curiosity:

With neither judgment nor criticism, I wonder how my word count matches up with your word count in one of those threads where you post many many responses to many posters.

That'd be my LOL

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
As long as you might think someone wrote it, I'm good.

An inspired-by-you bonus curiosity:

With neither judgment nor criticism, I wonder how my word count matches up with your word count in one of those threads where you post many many responses to many posters.

That'd be my LOL
IMG_4671.jpeg

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
I was just about to post this but I see you already did. Thank you for doing my dirty work. We have to keep Danny on a tight leash moving forward. There is no free pass for next season. We deserve title number 7.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom