Hurley's Ego | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Hurley's Ego

Reaction Score
JC's ego let everyone in the state know "Not a dime back" lol..... and I loved it!

1000003161.gif

So I think Hurley's ego is okay :)

Reaction Score
If you listen to Dan, he never talks about himself. It's always "we" or even "they". He talks about the assistants being the best in the country. He talks about the players being NBA quality.
He never says "I did this or that" it's always "we".
Even when talking about the formula, it's always we found it, and "it" is all the other great people in the program.

I don't even know why i responded to this

Reaction Score
As great a coach as Hurley has been, his large ego is a concern now that he has become very famous in the world of Hoops. Does anyone see this as a potential issue? Will he be able to stay focused on the team...?
Honestly have not read through the thread but can't believe we even have this. Hurley won the championship and came back even hungrier this season. Players that were also on the team last year said that his practices were even tougher this season. Not to mention the fact that he said in an interview immediately after the game that the coaches will start working on next seasons lineup on bus ride back to hotel. Ego or no ego, the man will put in the work.

Reaction Score
I think this is an awful take as there is zero evidence that Hurley has shown us since he got here that he will accept less than the best from his program. We have literally improved every year he has been here EVEN AFTER WINNING A NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP and losing our top 3 players
If his ego plays any role, it is that he will commit even harder to success (if that's humanly possible) to avoid failure. I believe his strong family (wife, sons, dad) will keep him grounded.

Reaction Score
Human nature. When someone rises up, it becomes normal to try and bring them down. This will be an ongoing thing wrt program and coach.

Reaction Score
The guy admits in public to crying and doing yoga/meditating. That's so far from ego, you think Cal is up there talking about the last time he had a good cry? If anything hurley is a great role model to all young males to be more in touch with emotions in a culture that tends to pride itself in males keeping it all inside.
I'm not saying this about Dan Hurley, but most of the guys I know who talk the most about doing yoga have pretty big egos.

Reaction Score
As great a coach as Hurley has been, his large ego is a concern now that he has become very famous in the world of Hoops. Does anyone see this as a potential issue? Will he be able to stay focused on the team...?
We are all happy you decided to post this gem upon release from prison.

Reaction Score
Idiot post

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I was talking about the crying Hurley has talked about and Travelman was referencing.

I know plenty of egomaniacs who are are into yoga.

Neither paragraph offers much in response to what I wrote. Perhaps there's an audience for your thoughts on the topic elsewhere.

Reaction Score
You don't succeed without a "healthy" ego and a desire to be the best! Let him enjoy his time in the sun. He's earned it. The only time for concern is when his players stop buying in. Don't think that will happen any time soon..

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The only thing he's said this week that made me wince was his insistence that UConn would be in roughly the same place had we not moved to the BE.

Said it in another thread already, but I'm pretty confident that we don't get Tristen or Cam if we were still in the AAC. It's basically a one-bid league. I'd guess Castle to Auburn or OSU instead of Storrs. And because football, we weren't moving up to the B12 with Houston.

It's pure speculation on my part that we wouldn't be where we are today, but at the time DH said UConn was already on a trajectory like Houston back before rejoining the BE, we still didn't have an offense. And there wouldn't have been a Storrs South (does anyone really think Dickie's Arena in Fort Worth would've been 60% Huskies fans?)
Friend of mine was offended by the "we've owned college basketball for 30 years." Of course he's a Purdue fan and may have been just a little sensitive at that time.

Reaction Score
I feel like people mistake intensity for ego. And his intensity (bordering on insanity) is WHY this team is so good.
And they also mistake confidence (in himself, his process, his players) for ego as well. He's actually sounded humble to me. He's always acknowledged coaches with more experience, acknowledged the legacy of the school he's come to, and taken responsibility for losses and setbacks (see Bouknight troubles) along the way as part of his failure to coach up, mentor, or hold accountable in the right manner.

He's fiery on the court and sure of his methods now after his successes. As he should be.

Reaction Score
When JC won his second title in 2004 did he get complacent and let success change him? I don’t believe so. We had stacked teams in 2006 and 2009 that easily could have won titles. We won it all again in 2011. He never lost his confidence or his fire even through all the success he had. Calhoun was so successful because of his personality. His intensity, toughness, passion, competitive spirit, the underdog mentality. He rubbed a lot of people the wrong way, but you always heard that the incredible stories about how he truly cared for his players and his family/friends. He wasn’t a fake or a phony, what you saw is what you got. He was confident is his abilities and he wasn’t going to sugarcoat anything or be distracted from reality. I wouldn’t call that an ego.

The reason Hurley is the right fit for UConn is because he embodies everything that Calhoun was. I don’t see DH getting complacent. He lives and breathes this. If he has an ego he would have been on the first plane to Lexington on Tuesday morning chasing the money.

Reaction Score
I realized this OP post was a bit nuanced for the Boneyard. But when you look at famous atheletes and hollywood types, they often have problems with their egos when they get rich and famous. Danny certainly has a lot more fame to deal with now. I expect him to work though it all, but it is a challenge for anyone. Another interesting thing demonstrated in this thread is how rabid many UCONN fans are and attack anyone not praising our beloved leader... Nothing like good old mob mentality in higher education... but I guess sports are a bit of a release for our aggresive animal instincts...

JakeTheDog

Makin’ bacon pancakes
Reaction Score
I realized this OP post was a bit nuanced for the Boneyard. But when you look at famous atheletes and hollywood types, they often have problems with their egos when they get rich and famous. Danny certainly has a lot more fame to deal with now. I expect him to work though it all, but it is a challenge for anyone. Another interesting thing demonstrated in this thread is how rabid many UCONN fans are and attack anyone not praising our beloved leader... Nothing like good old mob mentality in higher education... but I guess sports are a bit of a release for our aggresive animal instincts...

I’m failing to see the nuance in your original post. It’s broad and straightforward. The posters who have called out why your post is ridiculous are not partaking in a ‘mob mentality’, they are simply providing reasons why Coach Hurley’s ego is not an issue.

Reaction Score
Considering 1) this was a ridiculous post to begin with 2) you dont post much and 3) you spell our school wrong I am just curious who you actually root for. Kentucky? Providence? Cuse?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom