Hurley's Ego | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Hurley's Ego

Reaction Score
Hurley is awesome as is. A few short years ago we weren't sniffing an NIT invite, were practically quitting while getting waxed by 40+ points on the regular, and youtube dunkers were logging minutes. He could do a kegstand on center court wearing his dragon underwear and then shoot the t-shirt gun at Ed Cooley and I would be cool with it.

Reaction Score
As great a coach as Hurley has been, his large ego is a concern now that he has become very famous in the world of Hoops. Does anyone see this as a potential issue? Will he be able to stay focused on the team...?
Too much ego for you, well good.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Hurley is the way he is because he doesn't have an ego. He has a long well documented self-esteem issue being until recently the least accomplished Hurley.

His bravado is pure Jersey. His recent statements are just honest facts. Name a better coach in CBB right now? There just isn't one. Anyone who might have a case recently retired. It's Hurley and Self as active multiple champs. Hurley is better than Self right now.

Reaction Score
I think some of the 'bravado' Hurley shows is shown purposely to give his crew confidence and take some of the pressure off of them. They played with a target on their back for the entire year, and they never looked like a team that had any pressure on them. I was/am impressed with that as much as anything else they did. The group just played for each other, did the work and had some fun out there while doing it. This day and age, that's a rare thing.

Reaction Score
1712872788619.jpeg

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Not going to put a lot of stock in what Laittner says.

Move on.

Reaction Score
As great a coach as Hurley has been, his large ego is a concern now that he has become very famous in the world of Hoops. Does anyone see this as a potential issue? Will he be able to stay focused on the team...?
This. We should try much harder to only hire mediocre coaches who never accomplish anything and avoid this risk in the future.

(You really can't make some of this stuff up.)

Reaction Score
The only thing he's said this week that made me wince was his insistence that UConn would be in roughly the same place had we not moved to the BE.

Said it in another thread already, but I'm pretty confident that we don't get Tristen or Cam if we were still in the AAC. It's basically a one-bid league. I'd guess Castle to Auburn or OSU instead of Storrs. And because football, we weren't moving up to the B12 with Houston.

It's pure speculation on my part that we wouldn't be where we are today, but at the time DH said UConn was already on a trajectory like Houston back before rejoining the BE, we still didn't have an offense. And there wouldn't have been a Storrs South (does anyone really think Dickie's Arena in Fort Worth would've been 60% Huskies fans?)
He has to know that remaining in the AAC would have greatly hindered UCONN's rise back into the highest echelon of cbb. I'm not saying it can't be done, but selling kids on playing against historic programs with great coaches is easier than playing Memphis on a Tuesday.

Reaction Score
The guy admits in public to crying and doing yoga/meditating. That's so far from ego, you think Cal is up there talking about the last time he had a good cry? If anything hurley is a great role model to all young males to be more in touch with emotions in a culture that tends to pride itself in males keeping it all inside.
What you're describing has nothing to do with ego.

He'll talk about self-doubt and crying but he'll also talk about kicking your arse on the court and physically kicking your arse if you step onto the court where you don't belong. Those are just normal male human emotions, he's an emotional guy.

Reaction Score

He'll talk about self-doubt and crying but he'll also talk about kicking your arse on the court and physically kicking your arse if you step onto the court where you don't belong. Those are just normal male human emotions, he's an emotional guy.
But he doesn't have a "large ego" to the point where it's an "issue" as OP describes. People with large egos don't admit to the things I mentioned in my previous post.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
A potential issue for nearly all human beings.

He probably won't be able to stay focused, if among other things, he stops his daily meditation practice.

There are probably people right here, right now trying to distract him.

Reaction Score
He knows he’s great but also knows he can’t let up for one second. It’s awesome.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Two decades of yoga practice counsels me not to make too big a deal of what you've written.

I'll gently offer that yoga's originating purpose is to prepare the body to be able to sit still in order to aid in meditation.

I hope you'll consider that these practices do not have "nothing to do with ego."

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Show me an Egoless coach and I’ll show you a losing program.

Are you new to basketball?

Reaction Score
Two decades of yoga practice counsels me not to make too big a deal of what you've written.

I'll gently offer that yoga's originating purpose is to prepare the body to be able to sit still in order to aid in meditation.

I hope you'll consider that these practices do not have "nothing to do with ego."
I was talking about the crying Hurley has talked about and Travelman was referencing.

I know plenty of egomaniacs who are are into yoga.

Reaction Score
Come on brah, If you've watched any of Hurley's recent podcast appearances you see Hurley discussing his vulnerable side (if that's what you're looking for). He's just intense on the court.

You sound like a Purdue fan.
More likely Bama. Mad they lost to a basketball school

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom