Hurley vs. Calhoun | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hurley vs. Calhoun

Reaction Score
Let's be happy we have another coach that looks to secure our basketballing future for the next decade

Let’s also be grateful that us, UNC and Indiana are the only schools with two head coaches that have won multiple national championships making what we have and had with Hurley and Calhoun nearly statistically improbable.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Why can't we just enjoy having two great coaches?

(But asked me again if Danny wins two more.)

Reaction Score
Calhoun is the GOAT, not coach K, etc. Winning without getting 3 five stars annually. Building a program from zero.

Hurley is the GOAT of his generation and the next 10 years etc.

No need to ever compare these two, different circumstances, different game, different times, etc.

We are just lucky to have the 2 greatest coaches that ever lived. Danny will even tell you that Bob is a better coach than himself, he just never chose to do it in college. And he is probably right. Danny, Bob, and Calhoun are built from the same cloth.

Reaction Score
Win two more championships, doesn't matter how long it takes and otherwise maintain a high standard in the BE, at worst bottom of the top half in a down year.

Reaction Score
It's also tough to compare them because their respective personalities would be received differently by players in different eras.

Reaction Score
I believe that Calhoun is still the GOAT at UConn and appreciate what he did to bring UConn men’s bball into the mainstream from relative obscurity.

My question is: with 2 titles now under his belt, including a regular season and BET title, what else would Hurley have to do to cement himself as the greatest men’s coach of all time at UConn? Could he potentially unseat Calhoun for that honor down the road?
Win 4 but even then people will knock him down a peg since they wil lsay Calhoun's job was bigger since UConn was nothing before JC came in. Maybe if he win 6 it makes it a little easier to decide.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
My question is: with 2 titles now under his belt, including a regular season and BET title, what else would Hurley have to do to cement himself as the greatest men’s coach of all time at UConn?
Four in a row, six in eight years and then there would be an interesting debate.

Reaction Score
I would consider joining Twitter if Calhoun used it.

He'd get his account locked so fast lol

Reaction Score
Hurley will no doubt be a HOF'r like Calhoun, but Jim came here and built a national power house. Some of the younger fans have no clue just how good the Big East was.

Those games against Alonzo Mourning, Allen Iverson, Malik Sealy, Billy Owens just to name a few.

The Big East was the real deal and Calhoun had to recruit against Georgetown, Syracuse, ST Johns

Every night was a battle.

It's a much different game today.

Hurley',s young, he's said he doesn't want to coach for too long, but he may end up with more titles. That doesn't mean he's a better, just means he's a good coach.

Reaction Score
I believe that Calhoun is still the GOAT at UConn and appreciate what he did to bring UConn men’s bball into the mainstream from relative obscurity.

My question is: with 2 titles now under his belt, including a regular season and BET title, what else would Hurley have to do to cement himself as the greatest men’s coach of all time at UConn? Could he potentially unseat Calhoun for that honor down the road?
I think for me, at minimum he’d have to win more than Calhoun.

One of the biggest things about Hurley winning here for me is… it shows other coaches in the future you can still win UConn.

Reaction Score
I think for me, at minimum he’d have to win more than Calhoun.

One of the biggest things about Hurley winning here for me is… it shows other coaches in the future you can still win UConn.
Since the 1980s every coach who’s ever coached here has won a NC. And 2 have won multiple.

So the question for our next coach won’t be “if you can win at UConn”. It’ll be “when will you win at UConn”

Reaction Score

Cant really compare 30+ years of success with 6 years of which 2 were utter dominance. Lets not forget his first 4 seasons were a bit rough which was to be expected.

Reaction Score
There is no Hurley success at UConn without prior Calhoun success at UConn. And Calhoun's legacy at UConn is diminished without Hurley's success at UConn. The success of one is the success of the other.

Reaction Score

Calhoun built UConn from nothing. Nothing. And he did it when the big east was dominated by giants. And he built it into a national power, 3 chips to his name and a 4th that he should honestly get credit for. Best program building job ever. That will never be replicated by anyone.

Hurley’s great but he isn’t close. Even if he wins another chip he’s still behind imo

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Calhoun doesn't come here, Hurley is coaching at Pitt.

Does he win back to back at Pitt?
He'd have done a helluva lot more with the talent Pitt had than Capel did. Six years in given what the ACC looks like, a league championship, an EE and maybe even a FF, which has eluded PItt since forever.

B2B titles? No. But a return to the success of PItt of the 00s? Maybe. Probably.

And really, if you want to go back to the mid-80s, if UConn lands a mediocre to crap coach, followed by another mediocre to crap coach, we could be DePaul. And that's hard to get out of. Who knows, maybe we don't even go D1 in football because the school has no national profile or reputation in sports, other than soccer. And maybe JC goes to BC and turns them into champions, lol.

Reaction Score
To have a guy in Hurley that even begs the question is incredible.

I think what Hurley has built/ is building may be more sustainable. JC took the 8/9 game team on a trajectory that few of us would have dreamed of.

Co-Goats is fine with me.

Reaction Score
Great question.

Given that Calhoun built the program from very meager beginnings, Hurley would have to significantly surpass JC's on-court accomplishments.

He would need 4 championships just to get in the conversation and probably stay here for another 20 years. If he gets like 500 wins, 8-9 conference championships, 7-8 Final Fours, and 5 championships, then maybe there's an argument.
I don't like doing this because Calhoun built the program from a regional program into a giant and in turn helped build the school into something much better than it used to be but Hurley just did something the past two season Calhoun never dreamed of. Best two season run of the modern era. Calhoun never even made it out of the first weekend after winning the title.

If you're comparing Hurley in terms of all-time wins here he will never reach Calhoun, coaches aren't going to be lifers the same way they were in the college game like they were in Calhoun's era. I don't think we'll be having the lulls/missing tournaments like we did under Calhoun though. If Hurley coaches another 8 seasons here and gets another national title or 2 he's certainly right there. Hurley's last two seasons already put him in the hall of fame.

Reaction Score
If Hurley is The Carpenter, then Calhoun is The Lumberjack.

Worthless comparison. I truly believe that one does not happen without the other, at least sure as hell not at UConn.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom