Hurley talking next year and portal | The Boneyard

Hurley talking next year and portal

Reaction Score
Good info on Karaban

For Karaban is really simple- if he’s gonna be a consensus first round pick he will go, he’s done so much here he’s earned that. Anything short of that he’s gonna come back and be one of the stars of college basketball.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Good info on Karaban

For Karaban is really simple- if he’s gonna be a consensus first round pick he will go, he’s done so much here he’s earned that. Anything short of that he’s gonna come back and be one of the stars of college basketball.

Win-win.

If he's a consensus 1st round pick, great.

If he comes back, great.

Obviously I'd prefer the 2024-25 roster to have him on it, but if he can go in the 1st, I'll wish him well!

Reaction Score
Sorry. Many of the other threads are hard to open. That is on me
In the world of UConn MBB, there's nothing more important right now than whether AK returns.

Yes, Hurley's comment was mentioned in a couple other threads but IMO it's worth highlighting.
Hurley has mentioned the Karaban in first round thing before so technically isn't a new quote but i understand.

Reaction Score
Hurley has mentioned the Karaban in first round thing before so technically isn't a new quote but i understand.
He mentioned the decision making process at the championship parade too. It was more about his advice rather than saying what Karaban was going to do. But I have to believe Karaban is listening to all the advice. He's not going to make a rash decision.

“There’s a lot there,” Hurley said. “He’s clearly a draft-able NBA prospect. I think for most of these players now with NIL – if you’re going to be a clear-cut, consensus first-round pick and you feel like you’re mature enough emotionally to go into those locker rooms, then I think you’ve got a responsibility to really consider going. If you’re not going to be a consensus clear-cut first-round pick, I think you stay in college. Second round, it’s a tough spot. Up through those mid-30s, there’s no more guaranteed contracts and I think it’s better to be in college than it is on a two-way, in my opinion.”

Reaction Score
Good info on Karaban

I hope Alex goes in the 1st round this year. The 2024 draft is considered one of the weakest drafts in history. If he doesn’t get a first round grade this year, coming back he would need a massive season to get a 1st round grade next year in a much stronger and deeper draft.

Reaction Score
This is very bullish for Karaban returning. I don't think Karaban is like Andre Jackson, where Jackson had to strike while the iron was hot and coming back was unlikely to help him and might have even hurt him.

I think there's very little downside for Karaban coming back, only the opportunity cost of missing out on a year of guaranteed NBA earnings, hence "1st round or bust."

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I hope Alex goes in the 1st round this year. The 2024 draft is considered one of the weakest drafts in history. If he doesn’t get a first round grade this year, coming back he would need a massive season to get a 1st round grade next year in a much stronger and deeper draft.

I've seen a lot of people make this argument and I don't understand it. He'd be no worse off, then. Either way, he's not getting picked in the 1st round. At least if he returns he has a shot at having that "massive season" that vaults him into the 1st round. There are always a few teams in win-now mode that are looking for plug-and-play rookies like Jaime Jaquez.

Edit: I misread your post by skipping over the first sentence. I have seen people making the argument he should leave now because of the 2025 draft being stronger, and I was responding to that. But you were only saying you hope he gets that 1st round promise.

Reaction Score
I’ve seen people say if he doesn’t go first round this year he’s screwed and i don’t agree. What if he figures out how to not be so streaky from 3?

An all around improved AK who is majorly improved from 3 could absolutely be a 1st rounder in the 25 draft.

Reaction Score
This is very bullish for Karaban returning. I don't think Karaban is like Andre Jackson, where Jackson had to strike while the iron was hot and coming back was unlikely to help him and might have even hurt him.

I think there's very little downside for Karaban coming back, only the opportunity cost of missing out on a year of guaranteed NBA earnings, hence "1st round or bust."
Indeed. Karaban had a very good season, but was inconsistent with his shooting and his ability to score. Definitely something to work on.

Reaction Score
Good info on Karaban

I've been repeating this as well. I think it's more nuances than Hurley's quote.

Pick 31-40 and AK needs to make a judgement call on possible guarantees now versus the performance necessary to get a guaranteed contract and shot at the NBA next year.

AJax and Sanogo had to make the judgement call to stay in the draft and their experience documents the range of outcomes for AK if he stays and doesn't go 1st round.

Reaction Score
He mentioned the decision making process at the championship parade too. It was more about his advice rather than saying what Karaban was going to do. But I have to believe Karaban is listening to all the advice. He's not going to make a rash decision.

“There’s a lot there,” Hurley said. “He’s clearly a draft-able NBA prospect. I think for most of these players now with NIL – if you’re going to be a clear-cut, consensus first-round pick and you feel like you’re mature enough emotionally to go into those locker rooms, then I think you’ve got a responsibility to really consider going. If you’re not going to be a consensus clear-cut first-round pick, I think you stay in college. Second round, it’s a tough spot. Up through those mid-30s, there’s no more guaranteed contracts and I think it’s better to be in college than it is on a two-way, in my opinion.”

Very good advice. Teams have much more of a vested interest in having their first round picks succeed and generally give them more “rope”. If AK chooses to return, then I hope the staff ensures he’s taken care of through NIL, as he deserves that as well.

Reaction Score
Did anyone post the interview with Reddick? It was good. I enjoyed DH talking about the design of the offense. He was inspired by the SF 49ers.... which was a surprise to hear. He wanted a few formations where multiple sets could be run from the same formation. The design of the offense was obviously excellent but the ability to take it from paper to reality was very impressive.

I sometimes worry DH says too much.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Karaban is an excellent player, but I don‘t know if he is ready for the first round. We shall see.

Reaction Score
Did anyone post the interview with Reddick? It was good. I enjoyed DH talking about the design of the offense. He was inspired by the SF 49ers.... which was a surprise to hear. He wanted a few formations where multiple sets could be run from the same formation. The design of the offense was obviously excellent but the ability to take it from paper to reality was very impressive.

I think i did . But here it is

Reaction Score
Doesn’t matter. The secret sauce is not the playbook or the hours or anything else- the S.S. is Hurley and staff.

Kobe could tell me his exact practice schedule and routines and I still wasn’t going to become an NBA player.

Reaction Score
In the world of UConn MBB, there's nothing more important right now than whether AK returns.

Yes, Hurley's comment was mentioned in a couple other threads but IMO it's worth highlighting.
Agreed. He puts us back in the top 3 conversation

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom