Hurley Postgame | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Hurley Postgame

Reaction Score
He has had so many weird quotes lately. The thing about Hawkins was especially awful to say and now this? He seems a bit more unhinged than usual
What’d he say about Hawkins? I am genuinely unaware

Reaction Score
I saw that quote last night and didn't think it was appropriate either. Pretty lame.

Reaction Score
I saw the same. He really shouldn’t talk about how bad the program was until he’s had some measure of postseason success.

Hard to talk about a coach who’s won an NC here when you haven’t even won a tourney game.
He absolutely should mention it. It’s a feather in his cap as a head coach. The thing is now is the time for him to collect some new feathers

Reaction Score
In year 5 you are getting what you’re going to get… talented teams that are very competitive but can’t take the next step.
Hard disagree. In year 5 you don’t have what you are going to get. He spent some years putting out fires, developing guys, earning a reputation, developing a culture. So though his year two recruits were his guys, he hadn’t yet established a track record so he couldn’t attract the best possible recruits. This year‘s recruiting class and next year’s recruiting class are downright nasty, I think he’s going to do pretty well with them. The uptick in recruiting seems to correspond with year-to-year improvement. Let that compound for a few more years, I’m optimistic.

So much negativity. I wish someone could legally set up an exchange with one simple bet … “will UConn make the S16?”. All those who say we are going nowhere should put their $ where their mouths are and have to bet no … not just vent their negativity. Instead of posting the same stuff again and again, people can put more and more money on their side of that bet. Me, I’d lay even money that UConn will play in the Sweet 16 this year.

And Hurley’s quote, who cares? If Hurley said all of the right things, was 3 inches taller, and super smooth and handsome, he’d probably be somewhere else. He’s one of the few guys I suspect can do really well and have no intention of leaving Connecticut.

Reaction Score
The cold hard fact is we now have 2 wins and 11 losses in games decided by 4 points or less over the last two seasons - including 6 losses in a row.

Whatever Hurley is doing at the end of games isn't working. Begging the question, how can we reverse this painful pattern?

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
He absolutely should mention it. It’s a feather in his cap as a head coach. The thing is now is the time for him to collect some new feathers
It’s wack when he does it to deflect on the failures he’s had here.

Reaction Score
Hard disagree. In year 5 you don’t have what you are going to get. He spent some years putting out fires, developing guys, earning a reputation, developing a culture. So though his year two recruits were his guys, he hadn’t yet established a track record so he couldn’t attract the best possible recruits. This year‘s recruiting class and next year’s recruiting class are downright nasty, I think he’s going to do pretty well with them. The uptick in recruiting seems to correspond with year-to-year improvement. Let that compound for a few more years, I’m optimistic.

So much negativity. I wish someone could legally set up an exchange with one simple bet … “will UConn make the S16?”. All those who say we are going nowhere should put their $ where their mouths are and have to bet no … not just vent their negativity. Instead of posting the same stuff again and again, people can put more and more money on their side of that bet. Me, I’d lay even money that UConn will play in the Sweet 16 this year.

And Hurley’s quote, who cares? If Hurley said all of the right things, was 3 inches taller, and super smooth and handsome, he’d probably be somewhere else. He’s one of the few guys I suspect can do really well and have no intention of leaving Connecticut.
Hard disagree.

There was never any point in bringing up the dumpster fire and there certainly isn't any reason to do it anymore, it's year 5. Most new coaches are taking over a mess, it's why the previous guy got fired...

Xavier wasn't NCAA tournament eligible for the previous 4 seasons and now they're playing for the Big East championship and a NCAA 3 seed in year 1 under Sean Miller if he wins tonight. I haven't heard him make any excuses and he has a built in one with no Zach Freemantle. Shaka is in year 2 and won the Big East outright, playing for a Big East tournament championship tonight, locked up a 2 seed and they were picked to finish 9th in the Big East this season.

Also, UConn isn't a stepping stone program.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Trying to read into post-game quotes is silly. The product on the court is all that matters IMO.

Hurley is welcome to take a dump on the table and give every UConn fan the finger if he can pull off a final 4 run.
Let’s start a GoFundMe account and tell DH that he gets the proceeds if he takes a dump on the table at a press conference. That would be really cool.

Reaction Score
Time honored tradition. Parse every word in the presser. I took it as Marquette is a good offensive team that is difficult to prepare for and defend on short notice. Yeah we played them earlier in the season but Marquette is probably doing some different stuff now like we are and even if it's mostly the same, there is no substitute for having a little more time to reinforce everyones assignments and responsibilities. I was more hung up on the fact that Marquette just had more energy last night, especially on D. We have blown out so many teams this year that It's almost like psychologically, if we are in a close game, it means we are not playing well or doing something wrong. For the first time this year there was a little finger pointing, arguing, and trying to ignore the coach. Gotta remember these are college kids and you never know how they are gonna handle pressure at any given time. We as fans feel the pressure for the program to start producing in March. I'm sure the fellas feel it a lot more. Btw, for those who say DH never takes responsibility for anything. He just basically said it was his fault that they took previous BE tourney losses and carried it over into the tourney.
Earlier in the season?? We played them a month ago. You think they revamped their whole system just so they could trick us on a 24 hour turnaround on the off chance they got us in the Big East semis??

Lolololol

Reaction Score
Being good at pressers is almost an art. People want answers for what went wrong and sometimes the full truth isn't always for public consumption. Hurley wears his emotions on his sleeve. His stream of consciousness isn't always the best when the loss is raw. i wouldn't read into it so much. If you are looking for something to complain about you can always find it.

Reaction Score
He’s done a really excellent job rebuilding a dumpster fire and he is not a “bad coach”. He is just not an elite level coach this can get the extra something special out of his teams. He doesn’t perform well as the stakes go up and it’s a well established pattern. In year 5 you are getting what you’re going to get… talented teams that are very competitive but can’t take the next step. Perhaps in a year where we are super loaded, the talent overcomes the coach’s limitations. Hurley should really hire JC for a few months and go through the season, examine every decision and learn from a master.
Bravo……this is the BEST, least emotional, summary I’ve seen of the situation. Would give it 100 likes if I could

Reaction Score
Earlier in the season?? We played them a month ago. You think they revamped their whole system just so they could trick us on a 24 hour turnaround on the off chance they got us in the Big East semis??

Lolololol
We changed a little over a month ago. Teams are always evolving and making adjustments. Not revamping the whole system. We smacked them a month ago. You think Shaka was showing up with the exact same gameplan. This must be like XMas morning to you.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
The cold hard fact is we now have 2 wins and 11 losses in games decided by 4 points or less over the last two seasons - including 6 losses in a row.

Whatever Hurley is doing at the end of games isn't working. Begging the question, how can we reverse this painful pattern?
Get some clutch players.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
We changed a little over a month ago. Teams are always evolving and making adjustments. Not revamping the whole system. We smacked them a month ago. You think Shaka was showing up with the exact same gameplan. This must be like XMas morning to you.
Shaka said in pregame exactly that. They rewatched film of game 1 and game 2, and concluded they needed to be more physical this time. So they came out with in your face defense. We had trouble overcoming it.

Reaction Score
Hard to do when they were sitting on the bench.

I felt in this game the refs were overall fair to us. Unfortunately AJ’s fifth was questionable and instead of a possible tie up he’s done for the game.

My only real beef was with the non calls when Tristen was getting mugged driving to the basket. It’s a BE reffing decision to let that type of play go but that decision severely impacts what he brings to the table. And reduces the chances of getting players to foul out.

Because they didn’t practice for that possibility. It would’ve required making in game adjustments and we know how he doesn’t like to do that m.
Apparently not in his tool box

Reaction Score
What hurts more is that they lost at MSG against an opposition coach that is not an X and Os wizard. We shouldn't be giving up 70 pts with that home court advantage, given the defensive pedigree of this team.

Reaction Score

The elephant in the room
Numbers don't lie
Speak for themselves
His in game or more specifically end of game coaching has been seriously deficient as the record in very winnable tight games over past 2 years reflect.

Reaction Score

Lolololol
3rd game with Marquette this yr. His comment was the definition of lame

Reaction Score
probably posted elsewhere:

"There is an art to winning these games, an art past UConn teams had, an art Hurley’s Huskies, talented as they are, have yet to prove they have. That must change in 2023, because championships aren’t about owning buildings. They come from mastering moments." - Don Amore

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
The zone was a good move cuz man was a struggle with switching and it ultimately worked which is good. Glad he switched. Will say that part of the reason it worked was a little lucky. Marquette got some decent looks at 3's against the zone. The just missed a bunch quite frankly. We weren't like swarming them with it or anything. Sometimes a little luck is necessary.
It would have been a better move if we executed it like we did earlier in the year when we utilized it. It's a given for me that Donovan, Hawk and Andre can lose their composure if things aren't going right for them. But to see that in Triston, Joey, Adama and Alex was unusual. I can understand it because the stakes are high the pressure to win is greater. And it's compounded because these kids felt last season was a disappointment. They didn't want to repeat it. The only player that seemed not to be affected by the moment was Alleyne. Which is why I agree to some small extent in having him in for Jordan at the end of this game. But there's no way of knowing if that would have worked out better.

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
Hurley is basically Patrick Ewing with better recruiting. We are never going anywhere with Hurley as the coach.

Reaction Score
The zone was a good move cuz man was a struggle with switching and it ultimately worked which is good. Glad he switched. Will say that part of the reason it worked was a little lucky. Marquette got some decent looks at 3's against the zone. The just missed a bunch quite frankly. We weren't like swarming them with it or anything. Sometimes a little luck is necessary.
This right here. In a one and done NCAAT, do we really want to leave the game up to chance that the other team will just miss open 3s? On the other hand I do think the zone threw Marquette a little off their rythmn so it was good move, but a move that could have made things worse and lead to a different discussion if some of those open 3s went down.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom