How worried is Geno about season long wear and tear? | The Boneyard

How worried is Geno about season long wear and tear?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
Its a 4-5 month season. There are 8 scholarship players left. Will the NCAA tournament hit them hard?

This thread is NOT about:

game conditioning
player commitment
critique of walk-ons playing time
final scores
work ethic
etc

For those who drink the blue and white Kool Aid (and how do they keep the colors separated in the bottle?) it really isn't about game conditioning.

A 4-5 month season can begin to break a body down. Geno has expressed concern about this.

How big an issue might it be?

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Well, I think it's always an issue. I also think that there isn't much he can do about it right now. Depending on their draw in the tournament, it could either hit them really hard (if they play a few super physical teams early, if they play Lousiville a fourth time, if they face ND in the semis, etc) or it could affect them minimally. Three years ago the team basically went six deep, with Lauren Dixon the only real sub for the latter part of the season, and I think it eventually caught up with them in the Final Four. I don't think we are that dire of straits right now, because this team is much more balanced and our three subs contribute much more than Lorin did on her own.

Barring injuries, I don't think wear and tear will affect them that much...Geno usually tightens his rotation as the season goes on, so even if we still had, for example, Lauren Engeln and Michaela sitting on the end of the bench, (assuming they weren't contributors at this point), I think the same 8 players would see the same minutes.

I think the loss of Tuck hurts more than wear and tear, though obviously her absence means more minutes for Stef. Kiah is a big key to limiting Stef's wear and tear.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
That is a question that every coach has to answer.

How concerned is McGraw? Tara? McCallie?

They all have the same concerns.

Adesmar123

Reaction Score
That is a question that every coach has to answer.

How concerned is McGraw? Tara? McCallie?

They all have the same concerns.

True

But playing a consistent 8 as hard as UConn plays may bring its own problems. I agree all teams will hit that wall but UConn's might be a little higher.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
True

But playing a consistent 8 as hard as UConn plays may bring its own problems. I agree all teams will hit that wall but UConn's might be a little higher.
Well, that is where the conditioning comes in. I know you didn't want that as part of the discussion, but they go harder because they can.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
IMHO, barring injuries as always, it doesn't adversely affect their performance in the NCAAs because the 12-13 day break they get between the AAC tournament and the NCAAs is sufficient to recharge the batteries and recover from wear and tear, both physically and mentally.

Adesmar123

Reaction Score
Well, that is where the conditioning comes in. I know you didn't want that as part of the discussion, but they go harder because they can.

Yup, that is the conundrum. Being better conditioned can bring more wear and tear issues over a long period. No argument that UConn goes harder than other teams.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Players have always said that practice is much harder than games. Last year Geno noted that they had to reduce the wear and tear of practices. I expect they will manage it the same way this year.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
The number of NC's suggest it(they) is/are not a factor or factors peculiar to UCONN.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Well ... the issue isn't games because the team has averaged about seven bodies available through the first 22 games and the average minutes per game Dolson at a team high of 31.4 to Kaleena at 26.9 for starters and from 19.3 for Kiah to 17 for Banks for the bench. In total Tuck played 116 minutes or an average of 5 minutes per game for the 22 games played. And that is two games a week for the rest of the year, plus 4 3 games in the ACC AAC tournament over four days? plus two games a week after the aforementioned 12 day break for the NCAAs.
Those minutes are very manageable and compare to Stanford where Chiney is at 32 m/g and Orange at 30 m/g, Baylor with Odyssey at 32 and Robertson at 30, Duke with 4 starters between 28 and 30 m/g, ND with Loyd and McBride at 29 and 30, etc. etc.
The issue that Geno spoke of is what happens outside the games - practice and workouts during the week between games are much more physically demanding than the games themselves and the coaching staff may end up adjusting the length and frequency based on the slightly shorter bench. That is also something that generally happens for the next month as there are fewer major things to work on and the bumps and bruises and colds and flu begin to mount.

With the exceptions of injuries I just don't see this as a big deal. The 2010 team with Lorin on the bench I think just wasn't quite good enough - didn't think the short bench was the issue.

Now ... want to talk a possible foul fest causing issue - that is where I have the biggest fear in terms of Morgan being unavailable. Love Moriah but do not want to see her playing center!!!

Last edited:

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
I think we will be OK. The good news is that the very worst part of the conference season is behind us, and I think the kind of games we have now, whereas much more interesting and fun to watch than I ever dreamed they would be, will give us time to recoup and prepare the bods for the strain of the post season. I think if there were to be problems, it could not be better timed, and when KML comes roaring back it will be something else.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Players have always said that practice is much harder than games. Last year Geno noted that they had to reduce the wear and tear of practices. I expect they will manage it the same way this year.
He already has said they won't be able to practice as long or as hard with a short bench.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
UConn won an NC last year with minutes for the players being pretty much as they are for this year's starters (allowing for Doty's unusual situation, or maybe just say top 5 minute getters) with the top player KLM getting 30 minutes down to a sometimes injured Stewie averaging 23 minutes, and this year running from Stef's 31 minutes as a senior to KLM's 27 minutes. Doesn't seem that huge a difference allowing for what would have happened with a unhindered Stewie last year, and the schedule is probably lighter than last year. If there are no further injuries, 8 players to share the minutes sounds pretty ideal, with both Lawlor and Pulido also available for 5 minutes apiece in certain upcoming games.

Stay healthy and you can't ask for a much better learning and conditioning situation in the final development stage for the tourney.

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
-Please don’t be offended, but it really bothers me when people don’t read questions carefully. I think most people completely overlooked the OP’s point that this is not about those player / walk-on player issues. Anyway, getting to the point…
...For those who drink the blue and white Kool Aid [And you know who you are, fellow Boneyarders]...4-5 month season can begin to break a body down. Geno has expressed concern about this.
How big an issue might it be?
-It’s a huge issue. No one can deny, a 4-5 month season features inevitable wear and tear, and frequent body break downs, chiefly due to the Average Boneyarder’s Age (Late Mesolithic, to mid-60’s, going only on photos). Actually, it wouldn't so bad, if our wives would just stop nagging us, on and on, and on and on, about our drooling. I mean, that probably happens to some people - I’m only speaking hypothetically here.

Last edited:

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
-Please don’t be offended, but it really bothers me when people don’t read questions carefully. I think most people completely overlooked the OP’s point that this is not about those player or walk-on issues. Anyway, getting to the point…

-It’s a huge issue. No one can deny, a 4-5 month season features inevitable wear and tear, and frequent body break downs, chiefly due to the Average Boneyarder’s Age (Late Mesolithic, to mid-60’s, going only on photos). Actually, it wouldn't so bad, if our wives would just stop nagging us, on and on, and on and on, about our drooling. I mean, that probably happens to some people - I’m only speaking hypothetically here.

I'm long past any wear and tear. I'm more into totally falling apart.

Reaction Score
Like others have stated, it is always a concern. But coach has been in the business a long time, he knows what he is doing. Even in blowout games with more than 6 minutes on the clock, coach has some veteran players on the floor at all times. He has it covered like glove.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
One huge advantage the Huskies have this year is that they did not saddle themselves with a tasteless and witless slogan for the season's campaign like "Grind for Nine." Can you imagine how ground down and worn out they would be feeling right now if they had to carry that burden all year long. "Okay girls, let's do some grinding." Owooooooooooooh!

Reaction Score
Wear and tear doesn't worry me so much. I think the coaches know how to manage the kids so they don't get rundown. And the team will have just 5 games -- all in state -- between 3/4 and 3/27.

The bigger issue imho is the narrow margin for error. If one person gets the flu, bangs her head, suffers a bad call, or makes a split second bad foul, the impact is much greater this year.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score

Yeah. I am guessing that 80-90% of the wear and tear comes from practices rather than games. BB said something to the effect that they looked forward to the 3 games in 3 days early in the season because they would be restful. I am sure that he and the staff will be watching very closely for any signs of overwork related problems.

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
All the teams in the ratings,have to be aware of wear and tear,because,generally,these teams rely on between one and five players getting most of the minutes per game,every game.As conference play,championships,and then the big tournament approaches,these players are generally relied upon more and more.The biggest difference at this time is the amount of bodies on the bench.However as the season progresses,most teams will rely on 5 to 7 players,as UConn will have to do.In my opinion,injuries that may occur from rough play or such,would be more of a concern,than the tired factor.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
All the teams in the ratings,have to be aware of wear and tear,because,generally,these teams rely on between one and five players getting most of the minutes per game,every game.As conference play,championships,and then the big tournament approaches,these players are generally relied upon more and more.The biggest difference at this time is the amount of bodies on the bench.However as the season progresses,most teams will rely on 5 to 7 players,as UConn will have to do.In my opinion,injuries that may occur from rough play or such,would be more of a concern,than the tired factor.
Is your space key broken?

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Well ... the issue isn't games because the team has averaged about seven bodies available through the first 22 games and the average minutes per game Dolson at a team high of 31.4 to Kaleena at 26.9 for starters and from 19.3 for Kiah to 17 for Banks for the bench. In total Tuck played 116 minutes or an average of 5 minutes per game for the 22 games played. And that is two games a week for the rest of the year, plus 4 games in the ACC tournament over four days? plus two games a week after the aforementioned 12 day break for the NCAAs.
Those minutes are very manageable and compare to Stanford where Chiney is at 32 m/g and Orange at 30 m/g, Baylor with Odyssey at 32 and Robertson at 30, Duke with 4 starters between 28 and 30 m/g, ND with Loyd and McBride at 29 and 30, etc. etc.
The issue that Geno spoke of is what happens outside the games - practice and workouts during the week between games are much more physically demanding than the games themselves and the coaching staff may end up adjusting the length and frequency based on the slightly shorter bench. That is also something that generally happens for the next month as there are fewer major things to work on and the bumps and bruises and colds and flu begin to mount.

With the exceptions of injuries I just don't see this as a big deal. The 2010 team with Lorin on the bench I think just wasn't quite good enough - didn't think the short bench was the issue.

Now ... want to talk a possible foul fest causing issue - that is where I have the biggest fear in terms of Morgan being unavailable. Love Moriah but do not want to see her playing center!!!
UC - I love your posts! But thinking that the short bench wasn't our problem when we lost to ND in the semis IMO is way off. When Steph got her 2nd foul 3-4 minutes in, Lorin Dixon was our only sub. That game was over then. We had no match ups with any height in the post to offer. Maya moved to a center on defense and was forced to win the game single handed. If we had Samarie Walker, a rebounding magnet, we would have had a real shot to win that game. I think N Dame was great. If we had a S Walker or a Kiah Stokes or a Morgan tuck also on the bench- Maya may have carried us to victory.

Reaction Score
A lot of the other teams in stronger conferences are playing a shorter bench then UConn, so they will have more wear and tear. KML should be getting back to her best form, just about tournament time. Eight good players is more then enough to win the championship. Bria, and Stef were both hobbled last year, but never missed a game in the tournament.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom