How will Sarah do as a freshman? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

How will Sarah do as a freshman?

Reaction Score
With Sarah on the floor, I don't think Azzi will ever shoot the ball with a defender in her face. That's how good Sarah will be. Paige's ppg will lower significantly, but her assist per game will rise to maybe 8 or 9 assist per game.

Reaction Score
She's shown an awful lot of stamina against elite competition but perhaps she'll sign up for the Ashlyn Shade early morning workouts along with Allie Ziebell........;)
Strong is great and has played elite highschool competition. The college game moves at a much faster pace. Plus UConn speed is faster than that. I've only ever seen Maya and now Shade have UConn conditioning right out the gate. With a mini Stef Dolson regimen, Strong will kick it into a whole other gear.

Reaction Score
Strong is great and has played elite highschool competition. The college game moves at a much faster pace. Plus UConn speed is faster than that. I've only ever seen Maya and now Shade have UConn conditioning right out the gate. With a mini Stef Dolson regimen, Strong will kick it into a whole other gear.
What about Paige?

Sales?

I thought KK was equivalaent to Shade.

Reaction Score
If we are talking about being in UConn shape, Paige was skinny and didn't really have the strength in my opinion day one. Her talent allowed her to compensate. Paige is at a whole other level now.

I am not old enough to speak about Sales with any authority.

KK in my opinion didn't start out with the conditioning that Shade had and that's why Shade had more early success before KK started catching up. Shade doesn't even break a sweat. You could tell me she was bionic and I'd half believe you.

Reaction Score
Sarah has starting talent. When and if she gets into Uconn shape, she ll definitely be starting and qualify for AA status. She has all the skill set already. I expect she will adjust to D1 speed by the beginning of her freshman year, i.e., adjust during the first summer sessions. I'd add KK to the list of portential AA's in the future, like maybe her junior year

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Just one?
Well you never know. Bueckers was supposed to lead UCONN to multiple titles. As of now, she's got 1 more shot at 1. Unfortunately, things happen.

Reaction Score
Once again we will be putting very high expectations on an incoming freshman.

Reaction Score
Once again we will be putting very high expectations on an incoming freshman.
Which I'm sure she has for herself as well as the coaching staff. has high ones probably For being as great as she has been by being the #1 recruit, she probably has that every day and if you go to a school and want to win it all - internally you probably want the same expectations that you have from teammates. You get to a power program you probably have been pretty fantastic most of your life.

Reaction Score
I think the presence of Bueckers will be such a blessing for Sarah. Paige will take the heat from the media, she’s a proven bucket getter, and can make those big plays in big moments. It gives Sarah the space to be incredibly effective without the pressures freshman like Juju and Hidalgo experienced this year. Our roster is stacked on paper, but very inexperienced when you factor in all of the time missed with injuries. There’s opportunity there for her to claim lots of plying time, and even fight to be our 2nd or 3rd option. To me it’s a great space for her to be as a freshman, and likely step into a leadership role alongside hopefully a healthy fudd as a sophomore.
Recall that it was Paige who attracted Azzi to UConn, and I have to believe that someone as smart as Srong must have considered what the opportunity to play with Bueckers will mean. I could add that Paige's contributions have kept UConn in the national conversation and thus may have affected the decision of other top recruits.

Reaction Score
There's always the transitional moments over the summer and fall for the fans.

Before, the recruits are just names and stats, a few highlight videos, and a ton of our unrealistic expectations. All we think about is what might be possible.

After the first pressers, when we actually get to see them in UConn gear and answering questions, we recognize them as kids, full of hope and bluster and nervous about the new adventure.

Finally, in the first couple of games in November, they'll be sitting on the bench watching the veterans play and eager to get in the game themselves. And once they get on the floor, nervous as cats and fumble-fingered, they'll be mortified by little mistakes.

Eventually, they'll develop the confidence Geno's program is designed to produce, they'll have honed their skills and learned the ways of the team and figured out Geno's schemes, and they'll be a joy to watch.

KCD

Reaction Score
I expect that Sarah will contribute significantly her freshman year. Both of her parents are players and her dad is her coach. She has the fundamentals down pat, she is very coachable, and is a very hard worker. She came to UConn to improve and be pushed. She said that she doesn't care where she plays, she'll play wherever she is needed. Which shows how much of a team player she is. She has plenty of international experience and from what I've seen pressure doesn't seem to bother her. To me, she can play the 1-5 positions. I'm sure she will make some freshman mistakes, but I don't think we will be disappointed.

Reaction Score
I expect that Sarah will contribute significantly her freshman year. Both of her parents are players and her dad is her coach. She has the fundamentals down pat, she is very coachable, and is a very hard worker. She came to UConn to improve and be pushed. She said that she doesn't care where she plays, she'll play wherever she is needed. Which shows how much of a team player she is. She has plenty of international experience and from what I've seen pressure doesn't seem to bother her. To me, she can play the 1-5 positions. I'm sure she will make some freshman mistakes, but I don't think we will be disappointed.
What Sarah provides is hope and power. When you have a number 1 recruit some point out that a few have not lived up to that. But some have been extra-ordinary. Add this to that Sarah is going to be playing with a guard of extreme supreme ability. That ability spreads to making teammates much better.

We have an insdie-out player that appears like she can be a relentless offensive player. And it looks like she's going to be a brutal rebounder. Year 1 playing with Paige - there is a possibility of some extremely special play.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Me likey ...

1712854278633.jpeg

Reaction Score
I haven't watched hours of Sarah playing basketball but from what I have seen she is the first player in a long while that can be a spot up shooter from 3pt range. She is smooth and can shoot that range with very little effort. She is also taller than many other options UConn has on the wings and that will also be a plus.

What does she need to work on prior to next season in my opinion? Her conditioning and her strength in general. She currently has the conditioning level you would expect for a high school player but to contribute for UConn she will need to be in college shape and expect she will by November.

Reaction Score
I believe Sarah will be a great addition. Starter??? Maybe, perhaps as the season progresses. I can see her at PF (a true #4) and Jana at C (a tru #5). Mix that with any combo of Paige, KK, Ash, Azzi, Aubrey, Q, Ayana, the 2 freshman Guards..and more..more..more!
Geno is going to have a lot of options. Gotta keep the positive energy high and the excitement going.
I have seen several people who assume Jana will be starting at center. Upon what information is that based? She has not played a single second of Division 1 basketball. And how many of us regard some Egyptian league as a standard of excellence? Most of us didn't even know they played BB in Egypt. I hope you are right, and that she is brilliant. She will have to be because South Carolina already has an athlete on campus who they are touting as the next Boston ( 6'6' "with feet of a ballerina and hands of a coal miner " ). So we are likely outclassed no matter who we play at center. It is demoralizing.

Reaction Score
I’ve only seen Sarah Strong in McD’s All Star Game, and the various videos in circulation, but she has a killer iut to 3, and a good handle. It remains to be seen how long it will take her to get in UConn shape, especially on defense. Once she gets there, she will be a force.

Reaction Score
Geno will have 2 months of practice to gage Sarah. I believe Sarah will start from day one and given a chance to show she is the real deal. I believe she is. This Uconn team will have the opportunity and challenge of starting a NEW unbeaten streak to Uconn's 111 win streak/ I purposely avoid the often mentioned In---y Bug words as not mentioned , not happening.
Sarah need not start on day one, but I hope she earns that role shortly thereafter. We really are likely to have only one player back at the season's onset,from the extensive injury list. Jana should be full healthy. And she has not played one second at this level. Azzi won't be ready until late January? I have no belief Caroline will play a full season again ( she may be fully recovered, but if she gets hit one time , by one ball, she could be gone ); Aubrey got injured late and will return late ( end of February?). Patterson didn't show much the season she arrived. Due to injury? So let's not get all goo-goo eyed at next year's roster, until players are back on the court at full strength. And until then, we have three incoming freshmen, Jana, three fine looking sophomores, and Paige. We may have help in the wings, but not at the beginning.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom