How will Sarah do as a freshman? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

How will Sarah do as a freshman?

Reaction Score
I think Sarah will blend right in with Aaliyah moving on... Extremely talented frontcourt player, high basketball IQ... and a REBOUNDER... which we need badly... She'll be fine in year 1.
You are correct she has a great opportunity if she can fill Edwards position. Remember, Edwards as a frosh wasn't Edwards the Senior.

Reaction Score
Geno will have 2 months of practice to gage Sarah. I believe Sarah will start from day one and given a chance to show she is the real deal. I believe she is. This Uconn team will have the opportunity and challenge of starting a NEW unbeaten streak to Uconn's 111 win streak/ I purposely avoid the often mentioned In---y Bug words as not mentioned , not happening.
If Strong doesn't start then Who?? Unless ICE develops a better post mentality she'll be a second option. However Strong is a Div 1 unknown--with loads of potential. Which would you use??

Reaction Score
I have seen several people who assume Jana will be starting at center. Upon what information is that based? She has not played a single second of Division 1 basketball. And how many of us regard some Egyptian league as a standard of excellence? Most of us didn't even know they played BB in Egypt. I hope you are right, and that she is brilliant. She will have to be because South Carolina already has an athlete on campus who they are touting as the next Boston ( 6'6' "with feet of a ballerina and hands of a coal miner " ). So we are likely outclassed no matter who we play at center. It is demoralizing.
Yeah, I‘m not sure if you remember or not, but Geno was touting Ice Brady as highly skilled, a difference maker etc. How did that turn out? The point is, just because Staley is waxing rhapsodic about Tac, does not mean (with any certainty) that she (Tac) is going to actually be all those things on the court. I’m sure Tac is a nice piece but I’ve seen nothing beyond Dawn’s likely hyperbolic praise to indicate she is some kind of world beater. She could just as easily have the feet of a coal miner and the hands of a ballerina.:rolleyes:

Coaches often talk up their recruits and in so doing, write checks that the recruit is then unable to cover. The question is, would you rather have Jana or Adhel? There’s no doubt in my mind what the answer to that question should be but there’s certainly no objective reason to assume that Tac is superior to Jana! I’m just not sure why you would think that. I am confident that Jana will be the better player between those two. But even if she’s not the star I believe her to be, there‘s certainly no evidence now that indicates that we are going to be at a disadvantage in that match up!

Reaction Score
If Strong doesn't start then Who?? Unless ICE develops a better post mentality she'll be a second option. However Strong is a Div 1 unknown--with loads of potential. Which would you use??
We keep forgetting she's the #1 overall recruit of the '24 class.. Ice better be ready...

Reaction Score
Yeah, I‘m not sure if you remember or not, but Geno was touting Ice Brady as highly skilled, a difference maker etc. How did that turn out? The point is, just because Staley is waxing rhapsodic about Tac, does not mean (with any certainty) that she (Tac) is going to actually be all those things on the court. I’m sure Tac is a nice piece but I’ve seen nothing beyond Dawn’s likely hyperbolic praise to indicate she is some kind of world beater. She could just as easily have the feet of a coal miner and the hands of a ballerina.:rolleyes:

Coaches often talk up their recruits and in so doing, write checks that the recruit is then unable to cover. The question is, would you rather have Jana or Adhel? There’s no doubt in my mind what the answer to that question should be but there’s certainly no objective reason to assume that Tac is superior to Jana! I’m just not sure why you would think that. I am confident that Jana will be the better player between those two. But even if she’s not the star I believe her to be, there‘s certainly no evidence now that indicates that we are going to be at a disadvantage in that match up!
I really like your response. I will sleep better. However, I still should like to hear what we have on Jana as a talent. Other than the fact that she was sought after, and signed, by UCONN. I mean, desperation ( lack of bodies to play the post for us ) breeds unusual actions sometimes. We also sought out and signed Ines Bettencourt out of desperation...a lovely kid and a decent player, but not Division 1 prime talent. So whaat have you got on Jana?

Reaction Score
This obsession people have with 6-6 players is becoming ridiculous. Kamala Cardoso is a unicorn - she’s tall and she has elite skills. Players like her are rare. She succeeds not because of her height (that’s an insulting assessment of her) but because she’s been coached how to use her skill and her height within South Carolina’s system that most benefits the team

However, UConn has played - and beaten - teams with 6-6 players this year alone. USC has 6-6 Clarice Akunwafo (did you even notice her on the court?), Duke had 6-6 Kennedy Brown and 6-5 Camila Emsbo (Aaliyah ate them alive), Jackson State had 6-6 Angel Jackson and 6-5 Laila Walker (ditto Aaliyah)…there are others I’m not bothering to look up.

In case you haven’t noticed, it’s not the big girls that have caused the most problems for UConn, it’s quick guards that are three level scorers that have caused the most pain. Yes, the Huskies need to get more rebounds but with a short bench, Geno had the team run back to get the defense set rather than send players to the boards. With more big bodies to bang for rebounds next season, rebounding numbers will improve without Geno’s bringing in a giant to patrol the paint
Thanks. I appreciate your response. It will help me relax during the long winter ahead.

Reaction Score
This obsession people have with 6-6 players is becoming ridiculous. Kamala Cardoso is a unicorn - she’s tall and she has elite skills. Players like her are rare. She succeeds not because of her height (that’s an insulting assessment of her) but because she’s been coached how to use her skill and her height within South Carolina’s system that most benefits the team

However, UConn has played - and beaten - teams with 6-6 players this year alone. USC has 6-6 Clarice Akunwafo (did you even notice her on the court?), Duke had 6-6 Kennedy Brown and 6-5 Camila Emsbo (Aaliyah ate them alive), Jackson State had 6-6 Angel Jackson and 6-5 Laila Walker (ditto Aaliyah)…there are others I’m not bothering to look up.

In case you haven’t noticed, it’s not the big girls that have caused the most problems for UConn, it’s quick guards that are three level scorers that have caused the most pain. Yes, the Huskies need to get more rebounds but with a short bench, Geno had the team run back to get the defense set rather than send players to the boards. With more big bodies to bang for rebounds next season, rebounding numbers will improve without Geno’s bringing in a giant to patrol the paint
Let me ask you this question; If Jana is a really capable post player, would you ever forsee a line-up with ICE and Sara as power forwards, and Jana in the middle? Presumably with AZZI and Paige at the guardspots Or is ICE definitely a post player only?

Reaction Score
The presence of Sarah will also be a blessing for Paige. There will now be a huge threat for threes in addition to Paige and Ashlyn, which will cause the opposing team to spread out to defend, leaving gaps for drives to the basket, or for passes back out to the perimeter for high-percentage threes. Great synergy to come!
KK Arnold.... a synergy source!!

Reaction Score
You haven’t seen all the highlights. In this video she was head-to-head vs 6’3 Joyce Edwards currently ranked #3 overall recruit. In this game- Sarah got 31 points and 17 rebounds while Joyce got 27 and 9 in which Sarah won. Notice what a beautiful touch she on the perimeter. She’s sticking 3pointers at 6’2; shooting lie she’s 5’10 guard. Then look at the play with about 2:20 left in the video in which she is going inside in which Joyce is defending her. Even against a taller freakish athlete in Joyce, didn’t she make the move look awfully easy?

That’s the point with her, everything looks so easy and she is so fluid yet powerful in her way.

Another nice review of our need to see the complete story of a game. Highlights are greats, but
I love when a boneyard gives an insight into the "meta-story". Two great players.
Sarah and .... what was that other name? Ah yes, Ms. Edwards is also a "keeper"!

Reaction Score
We keep forgetting she's the #1 overall recruit of the '24 class.. Ice better be ready...
ICE will be ready, IMO... But the combination of Jana, Ice, Sarah, and Yanna will be
wonderful to behold... Everybody eats and divided minutes = rested! , and 15 fouls
to spread around ( but not used, of course!)

Reaction Score
ICE will be ready, IMO... But the combination of Jana, Ice, Sarah, and Yanna will be
wonderful to behold... Everybody eats and divided minutes = rested! , and 15 fouls
to spread around ( but not used, of course!)
Are we still allowed to use the term "everyone eats" without Nika? Your post made me miss her. In addition to her assists records, that expression is one of her lasting contributions to the Boneyard.

Reaction Score
I think Sarah will blend right in with Aaliyah moving on... Extremely talented frontcourt player, high basketball IQ... and a REBOUNDER... which we need badly... She'll be fine in year 1.
The unknown is always the transition to UCONN defense. You will know right away when you see where she is in the playing order. If she starts right away or comes in as the first or second sub she has passed the test.

Reaction Score
Anyone know what happened to Sarah that she is in sweats for the Global Nike Summit scrimmage? Is she resting because of the injury last week or did she pick up an injury during the practices?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Sounds like someone is running out of things to post about now that the endless discussion on the recruiting speculation is over after Strong's commitment :). I am curious, do you ever post about anything other than recruiting speculation and speculation about recruits?
That's not fair. He also recruits speculation about recruits.

Reaction Score
I believe she tweaked a knee in the last game. It did not look serious as she retuned to the floor later but you never know with knees. Hopefully, it is just precautionary and she is fine but I felt sick when I saw her come up limping. Praying she’s fine.

Reaction Score
You haven’t seen all the highlights. In this video she was head-to-head vs 6’3 Joyce Edwards currently ranked #3 overall recruit. In this game- Sarah got 31 points and 17 rebounds while Joyce got 27 and 9 in which Sarah won. Notice what a beautiful touch she on the perimeter. She’s sticking 3pointers at 6’2; shooting lie she’s 5’10 guard. Then look at the play with about 2:20 left in the video in which she is going inside in which Joyce is defending her. Even against a taller freakish athlete in Joyce, didn’t she make the move look awfully easy?

That’s the point with her, everything looks so easy and she is so fluid yet powerful in her way.

Strong likes to do some KML 3pt shots where she just effortlessly throws it up there. No preparation, no problem. If she can over 4 years become a mash up of Maya, KML, and Morgan Tuck UConn nation will be just fine.....

Reaction Score
And on this video she goes head to head with number 32 ranked recruit 6’5 Blanca Thomas. In this game Sarah got 30 points and 20 rebounds. In the 2nd half of the video she scores inside more. And one play Blanca is trying to guard her- - look at the video with 3:09 left the move and the spin in the lane with ease and quick feet that Sarah puts on the 6’5 player.

So, she had 2 power games vs high quality recruits with size taller than Sarah and one of those a bit of a freakish athlete a bit taller than Sarah in which she scored a combined 61 points and had 37 rebounds. What more should we be expecting in order to be impressed? It shouldn’t be “Brianna Stewart or bust.”

This demonstrates the discussion that has been all over this board. Is height everything? The answer is no and UConn has been proving that for years.

Sarah easily compensated those couple inches using her width and strength along with a good outside shot.

Reaction Score
Are we still allowed to use the term "everyone eats" without Nika? Your post made me miss her. In addition to her assists records, that expression is one of her lasting contributions to the Boneyard.
We have to. With the current state of the game, depth is more important than ever to get all the way to a national championship. I would argue that everyone has to eat for us to get to #12.

We can let Paige do her thing and we can get to the final 4 but everyone has to eat in order to cut the nets and win it all.

Reaction Score
We have to. With the current state of the game, depth is more important than ever to get all the way to a national championship. I would argue that everyone has to eat for us to get to #12.

We can let Paige do her thing and we can get to the final 4 but everyone has to eat in order to cut the nets and win it all.
So 2024-2025 we will serve it up buffet style? A smorgasbord? Or as Geno would not doubt prefer, family style.

Reaction Score
Do not be surprised if you see Sarah in the starting lineup at some point during the season if not in the opener.
Maya played as a freshman. Sarah will play as a freshman, also. Sarah is smooth as silk, looks like she can shoot out in Caitlin country......

Reaction Score

But Ice was badly injured, and I would not be surprised if she was hobbled the entire year by that serious injury and major surgery. She may not be the same player again that she was pre-injury.

Reaction Score
But Ice was badly injured, and I would not be surprised if she was hobbled the entire year by that serious injury and major surgery. She may not be the same player again that she was pre-injury.
Well, Tac is injured too. She might be better than both Wilson and Boston together, but seeing as how she’s never broken into the top ten in the rankings, I would tend to doubt it. My point was only that words are cheap. Until both Jana and Tac have actually played some serious game time, there is no way to assess which is better. I am confident Jana will be a very good player for us!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom