How/why did Chris Dailey join Geno at UCONN? | The Boneyard

How/why did Chris Dailey join Geno at UCONN?

Reaction Score

I wondered how Chris and Geno initially paired up to build the greatest wcbb program of all time. Found this article, anyone have any more detailed info of their meeting and early times together at UCONN? Here's a couple quotes from the article:

'The pair met in the 1980s while Auriemma was an assistant at Virginia and Dailey was an assistant at Rutgers, where she had played on a national championship team. She was leading a conference on coaching and Auriemma said he was struck by her organization and attention to detail.'....."She was clearly the smartest person in the room," he said.....'He told the school she would be his top assistant, before asking her if she wanted the job.'

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
We are twice lucky...Geno and Chris!

A great article! [Written several years ago....it says that Breanna is going for her 'third' ring at UConn.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I wondered how Chris and Geno initially paired up to build the greatest wcbb program of all time. Found this article, anyone have any more detailed info of their meeting and early times together at UCONN? Here's a couple quotes from the article:

'The pair met in the 1980s while Auriemma was an assistant at Virginia and Dailey was an assistant at Rutgers, where she had played on a national championship team. She was leading a conference on coaching and Auriemma said he was struck by her organization and attention to detail.'....."She was clearly the smartest person in the room," he said.....'He told the school she would be his top assistant, before asking her if she wanted the job.'
EVERY UConn fan needs to read this if they haven't already. It details the origin of their union, and why they work so well together for 39 years and counting.

"From the start, it's been more of partners, two people starting a business and they each have an equal stake in it," Auriemma said. "We used her strengths and mine and put them together to build this thing from a mom-and-pop operation into what it is today."

Dailey has turned down numerous head coaching opportunities. She did not get a job at her alma mater, Rutgers, in 1995, and says circumstances have never seemed right to go anywhere else. She makes more than $314,000 a year at UConn and has job security. And besides, she jokes, why would she ever want to leave Geno? "I've learned as I've gotten older that
there is nothing wrong with being happy where you are," she said. "And I'm happy." You can't beat happy!! :)

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
EVERY UConn fan needs to read this if they haven't already. It details the origin of their union, and why they work so well together for 39 years and counting.

"From the start, it's been more of partners, two people starting a business and they each have an equal stake in it," Auriemma said. "We used her strengths and mine and put them together to build this thing from a mom-and-pop operation into what it is today."

Dailey has turned down numerous head coaching opportunities. She did not get a job at her alma mater, Rutgers, in 1995, and says circumstances have never seemed right to go anywhere else. She makes more than $314,000 a year at UConn and has job security. And besides, she jokes, why would she ever want to leave Geno? "I've learned as I've gotten older that
there is nothing wrong with being happy where you are," she said. "And I'm happy." You can't beat happy!! :)
Not everyone needs or wants to be the #1. If you are insanely talented at the #1A spot, and love it, sure, you could chase the top spot, however the folks securely settled in #1A know their priorities, and perhaps don't look for more, as what they have is enough. I think about this whenever longtime assistant coaches take the head coach jobs and then don't do well, or go back to being an asst. This is the one thing that I've always admired about CD. She's secure and confident in her position.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Not everyone needs or wants to be the #1. If you are insanely talented at the #1A spot, and love it, sure, you could chase the top spot, however the folks securely settled in #1A know their priorities, and perhaps don't look for more, as what they have is enough. I think about this whenever longtime assistant coaches take the head coach jobs and then don't do well, or go back to being an asst. This is the one thing that I've always admired about CD. She's secure and confident in her position.
When you’re happy and you know it clap your hands…. clap clap. :D

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Okay, now here's the real story. "You lied to me." "If I could have packed all my stuff that night and gone home I would have."

Tiny office, leaky roof, shared phone. They didn't have to scrub floors, otherwise it would be a Cinderella story.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
So, this shortie was right next to Geno's Legacy, I viewed it, I dried my eyes and now I post it here. Oh Shay why did you have to leave.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Even more interesting, I recently learned that if Auriemma was not offered the job Dailey would have been.

Reaction Score
I haven't wondered why they paired up in the first place but I have wondered why she never went out and built a program of her own?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I haven't wondered why they paired up in the first place but I have wondered why she never went out and built a program of her own?
There is stuff on YouTube with her explaining why. She in essence says she's happy at UConn and so why should she leave.

Reaction Score
There is stuff on YouTube with her explaining why. She in essence says she's happy at UConn and so why should she leave.
I get that part and I think she did the right thing. If it were me I think I would have made maybe a bad choice and left to see if I was a good as I thought I was or if I was just part of the cog. Together they have done a remarkable job at UCONN.

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score
I get that part and I think she did the right thing. If it were me I think I would have made maybe a bad choice and left to see if I was a good as I thought I was or if I was just part of the cog. Together they have done a remarkable job at UCONN.
IIRC, at one point CD's mom lived in the area and was elderly. That was also a factor in her reluctance to leave.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom