How to rig the NCAA academic system | The Boneyard

How to rig the NCAA academic system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I present to you Kentucky.

http://www.kentucky.com/2013/07/18/2719896/kentucky-louisville-among-few.html

12 of the players had a GPA over 3.0 in the 2nd semester? Legitimately? I'm calling B.S. on that. I have to hand it to Calipari, he knows what he's doing. Just another marketing ploy by him to show recruits and their families he not only will get them to the NBA but he'll give them an education also. Nevermind that the GPA is fixed and those classes aren't real. Is the NCAA this stupid? Don't answer that!

pj

Reaction Score
It's not a violation if all the other students get free As too.

Reaction Score
Do you think all those "dignified" college Presidents who serve on the NCAA Board of Directors hate themselves in the morning?

Reaction Score
Don't hate the player; hate the game. The only person with the balls to call Calipari a fraud and bad for college sports is Bob Knight. Everyone else washes his nvts.
Disgusting.

Reaction Score
Why is it so hard for ppl to understand that they are finding a way to work the system!! Cal's players want to get to the NBA. Most aren't trying to graduate. They go to school for 9 months, take the easiest classes possible, and come out with a "outstanding" GPA. I go to a University I know how BS some of the classes can be. It's a business folks. When Kentucky fans stop drinking the Kool Aid and just admit that Cal finds ways to work the system, my respect for them will actually go up because at least they will be honest about it.

Reaction Score
The comment section is hysterical. The UK fans think it is because of Cal and the hard work of the students. Good lord. I bet those hay seeds still think wrestling is real too.

Reaction Score
These kids can just go directly to the D-League or Europe. The point of college is to get an education. KenSucky & UNC are steering their kids to the easiest classes and KenSucky reports they have excellent grades & completed their semesters before they go pro. We all know its a lie. UConn got dinged because UConn reported their results accurately.

Reaction Score
This is such bull$hit it's hard not to just laugh. I know we see a lot of stuff through our blue and white Husky goggles but the comments are just down right comical.

Reaction Score
Good lord. I bet those hay seeds still think wrestling is real too.

It's not??

Doink.jpg

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I present to you Kentucky.

http://www.kentucky.com/2013/07/18/2719896/kentucky-louisville-among-few.html

12 of the players had a GPA over 3.0 in the 2nd semester? Legitimately? I'm calling B.S. on that. I have to hand it to Calipari, he knows what he's doing. Just another marketing ploy by him to show recruits and their families he not only will get them to the NBA but he'll give them an education also. Nevermind that the GPA is fixed and those classes aren't real. Is the NCAA this stupid? Don't answer that!

The real magic is that those kids don't even have to attend those classes first semester...and aren't even required to be on campus after basketball season! Amazing stuff.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
These kids can just go directly to the D-League or Europe. The point of college is to get an education. KenSucky & UNC are steering their kids to the easiest classes and KenSucky reports they have excellent grades & completed their semesters before they go pro. We all know its a lie. UConn got dinged because UConn reported their results accurately.

Any time you can pontificate on the value of an education while using the pejorative KenSucky, I think you have to do it.

Reaction Score
Who cares. They are smarter than we are as far as how to run the academics of the program. Incompetence led us to last year, and playing the game to the rules got them this stupid recognition. You do what you have to do to play, and we screwed it up. Don't be jealous about those who do it right within the system. If you hate the system get the NCAA to change it, but it is the schools job to play to the one it has.

Reaction Score
Who cares. They are smarter than we are as far as how to run the academics of the program. Incompetence led us to last year, and playing the game to the rules got them this stupid recognition. You do what you have to do to play, and we screwed it up. Don't be jealous about those who do it right within the system. If you hate the system get the NCAA to change it, but it is the schools job to play to the one it has.

I care. I cared a whole lot last March. And don't talk to me about "doing it right within the system" when we're coming off a year where we couldn't go to the Tournament because the NCAA changed the rules applicable to the "system" and applied them retroactively to our performance.

P.S. For most of us the best we can do to get the NCAA to change its system is to make irate message board posts.

P.P.S. For those who believe Kentucky and Louisville players had above a B average in the spring semester last year simply because they took normal "gut" courses, give me a break.

Reaction Score

Please............this isn't about skating the system this is about a comical system where people actually believe these kids are getting 3.0 or above.......I mean you want to cheat it's okay but to make a mockery of the system in the meantime should piss someone in the NCAA off...........

He did it at UMass when Camby, Williams, Herndon, Roe and crew were in the Boston Globe for all at 1.0 or less and then the next semester they are all well above the 2.5 mark.....he's pitifull but they for whatever reason they turn a blind eye to this creep!

D

Deleted member 3149

Remember when ESPN's All Access Kentucky attempted to show their academic rigor?

Reaction Score
I care. I cared a whole lot last March. And don't talk to me about "doing it right within the system" when we're coming off a year where we couldn't go to the Tournament because the NCAA changed the rules applicable to the "system" and applied them retroactively to our performance.

P.S. For most of us the best we can do to get the NCAA to change its system is to make irate message board posts.

P.P.S. For those who believe Kentucky and Louisville players had above a B average in the spring semester last year simply because they took normal "gut" courses, give me a break.

You crossed a line. There is a Pacific Ocean sized gulf between the 2 programs.

Including Louisville in a Kentucky thread doesn't work for me. Not even close. Louisville has had players doing Masters' work during the same seasons Calipari's es fought to remember the numbers on them stupid classroom doors. I hate to be redundant......but.....

Louisville received an NCAA Public Recognition Award in 2013 for ranking among the top ten percent in men's basketball in the Academic Progress Rate, which measures academic eligibility, retention and graduation for student-athletes.
The academic achievement is not new to the Cardinals. UofL's men's basketball team earned the 2010-11 and 2011-12 BIG EAST Conference Team Academic Excellence Awards, which recognizes the highest collective grade-point averages in each of the conference's 23 sports (2012-13 awards have not been announced yet). The men's basketball team has hovered around a collective 3.0 GPA for 10 straight semesters, including a 3.18 GPA for the most recent spring 2013 semester.
Major individual academic awards were also bestowed on UofL student-athletes as well over the past year. Peyton Siva was a Capital One CoSIDA Academic All-America second team selection and was named the 2013 BIG EAST Scholar-Athlete of the Year. Wayne Blackshear won the 2013 NCAA Men's Basketball Elite 89 Award, presented to the student-athlete with the highest cumulative grade-point average participating in the finals site for each of the NCAA championships. Russ Smith was honored with a 2013 Scholar Baller Academic Momentum Award, which is presented to an individual based on the level of academic improvement and the impact of that academic momentum.

http://www.gocards.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/071813aac.html

Reaction Score
Here is the secret of UK's awesome "academic success", an attribute of the program Calipari discovered after realizing the light years ahead which Louisville was amid the fact that we were laughing at his sad ass............

19sQpcAuSt79_zps5e6ab7f9.jpeg

Compared to his recruiting class...............quick, what is the difference?

bbn_zps8367b858.jpg

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Are you saying UK's freshmen class is a bunch of dumb black guys? Looks like you crossed a line.

(I'm aware UK loads up its bench with actual college students to help the APR, and that you are one of the better visiting posters on this board, but it is impossible to not think you are implying the white guys are smarter, just because).

Reaction Score
Are you saying UK's freshmen class is a bunch of dumb black guys? Looks like you crossed a line.

(I'm aware UK loads up its bench with actual college students to help the APR, and that you are one of the better visiting posters on this board, but it is impossible to not think you are implying the white guys are smarter, just because).

Walk one don't count.

Ito am confused about Senore's post.

Also, I don't buy anyone's claims of achievement, not Ville either.

Reaction Score
I make no judgement whatsoever. I am frankly so far beyond contempt for that program that I never feel the need to elaborate. You are invited to draw your own conclusions, after realizing I doubt seriously my statements prior to that regarding Dean's List student Russ Smith or Academic All American Peyton Siva are racist. I depicted a group of players whose anonymity speaks louder than their race. Tell me which of those UK players you can name. Realize there are 3 others, as well, who were not in this picture, yet who are the examples Calipari uses to tout his team's GPA. APR and academic profile.

Reaction Score
Walk one don't count.

Ito am confused about Senore's post.

Also, I don't buy anyone's claims of achievement, not Ville either.

This is unfortunate. 3 years ago we had a Rhodes Scholar matriculate who actually got minutes. Padgett, Marra, Van Treese, McGee were all players who played for Louisville who were or will be players doing Master' work while playing as seniors. Teddy Bridgewater, for that matter, graduates this December.

Discounting what you think is one thing, because we all have opinions. Some of us hold onto them a bit tighter than others insytead of doing the small amount of work it would require to find out more. Louisville's academic profile has been a serious matter ever since Ramsey took over as college Prez and Jurich was hired to correct an admittedly pretty dreadful academic situation. They have succeeded wildly.

Reaction Score
This is unfortunate. 3 years ago we had a Rhodes Scholar matriculate who actually got minutes. Padgett, Marra, Van Treese, McGee were all players who played for Louisville who were or will be players doing Master' work while playing as seniors. Teddy Bridgewater, for that matter, graduates this December.

Discounting what you think is one thing, because we all have opinions. Some of us hold onto them a bit tighter than others insytead of doing the small amount of work it would require to find out more. Louisville's academic profile has been a serious matter ever since Ramsey took over as college Prez and Jurich was hired to correct an admittedly pretty dreadful academic situation. They have succeeded wildly.

This isn't a criticism of Ville. It applies everywhere. Uconn has had those seniors and grad students too, and kids who got degrees in 2.5 years. But the APR scores celebrated in that Kentucky article are a joke. I recently taught students who showed up in Phoenix for the Nba draft camp. They prepped for it for a long while elsewhere, and prior to that they played 20 games during the spring and took off for conference tourney and NCAAs. Seriously, it is a joke to imagine there is serious schoolwork going on. There are multiple ways that the APR is gamed including by Ville.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tmirm0279

Top Bottom