How reffing and rules should be changed | The Boneyard

How reffing and rules should be changed

Reaction Score
  • Refs should be encouraged to overrule another ref. This is rare because it stigmatizes the first caller. It should not. The game is too fast for perfect reffing.
  • During the last two minutes of any March madness game, refs should have the option of video review of any call and can reverse a foul call(leagues could optionally do this for their games). Can this be done now? - what is the current rule?
  • During March madness, coaches should have one call challenge per half. If the challenge fails, they lose a second half timeout. (this should be optional for league play)

any other suggestions

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Great topic for discussion.

I would like to see serious discussions on the number of head shots, face shots that players take. This has to stop. Concussions, broken noses and the like cannot be condoned.

Another facet we are seeing a lot, players jumping into a defender, initiating contact to get a foul call.

Reaction Score
Require all refs to have a recent eye exam because many of them working UConn games seem to be legally blind.

But on a serious note, MLB seems to be inching closer to using electronics to replace or at least assist umpires with the strike zone. That's basically a simplified version of AI. There are many reasons why AI scares the you-know-what out of me, but is there a way to eventually utilize it to tackle some of the reffing issues plaguing college basketball today? It probably wouldn't be possible for most game because of the cost and lack of camera angles, but in the tournament where every game is sudden death, and all teams are playing in a few locations with a gazillion different camera angles available, I'm guessing it might eventually be useful.

There could always be a rule that the refs can override an AI finding if it's required. And it could be limited to only a few different critical situations along the lines of CTrefugee's excellent suggestions. Something needs to be done.

Reaction Score
I didn’t see this thread before I replied to a post in another thread so let me summarize that reply.

NCAA: Admit blatant referee errors especially in critical situations.

Identify the referees involved and put numbers on their uniforms for fan identification.

Publicly suspend them from all post season games.

This seems to work pretty well for the NFL. The NCAA must take responsibility.

Reaction Score
  • Refs should be encouraged to overrule another ref. This is rare because it stigmatizes the first caller. It should not. The game is too fast for perfect reffing.
  • During the last two minutes of any March madness game, refs should have the option of video review of any call and can reverse a foul call(leagues could optionally do this for their games). Can this be done now? - what is the current rule?
  • During March madness, coaches should have one call challenge per half. If the challenge fails, they lose a second half timeout. (this should be optional for league play)

any other suggestions
I totally agree with reversing a foul call in the last 2 minutes. Nothing ruins a close game more than a foul that wasn’t a foul. I also think adding in one coach challenge per half could be a good option. All that to say, I don’t ever see any of these things happening anytime soon. But UConn’s game vs Iowa was a perfect example of why something needs to change. The refs have too much power and want to be the ones to dictate how the game plays out, when that should be left up to the players

Reaction Score
Refs during the regular season need to be evaluated. Research, especially in high profile games, if refs show an unusual bias or bad calls to certain teams. Also, the whole betting on college games is skyrocketing. With supposedly poor pay for referees, does anyone worry that there may be some refs willing to take a payoff? Also, the inconsistency of calls or no calls on certain stars of the game, really needs to be scrutinized!

Reaction Score

any other suggestions

One big issue with the above is that the rules are not adjucated exactly as they are written. As Geno pointed out, there may be 40+ illegal screens that are not called in any given game. If there was a review, they would not overturn a borderline illegal screen call if it was illegal under the letter of the law - even though it really shouldn't have been called. In fact, Edwards' screen was illegal under the letter of the law and would not have been overturned with a video review- even though it was borderline and wouldn't be called by most refs in the final seconds of a game.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
The NCAA wanted the Iowa vs SC match-up so they had to find a way to neutralize the Huskies. One way is by calling almost every foul that they saw on UConn while letting Iowa do the same fouls and not call them. Clark only had two fouls called, but she got away at least 3 maybe even 4 visible push offs against both Nika and KK and there was no call. I'm not a conspiracy person but I really believe that the NCAA and ESPN really wanted today's game for the numbers. I might watch the game, if I do I will be actually rooting for the Gamecocks, hope they crush Iowa and Clark is kept in check with not even scoring 20 points.

Reaction Score
I wish the refs could review the replay to overturn or reverse a foul. My understanding is that currently they can review replays only to determine whether or not a foul should be upgraded to a flagrant.

Reaction Score
I think coach challenges, reviewed by the two referees on the floor who did NOT call the play should absolutely be added as a rule. With how much technology there is now, we should be able to use that to benefit the players.

I also think that the sideline referee should be able to call for a play to be reviewed if the on court referees are unsure of the call, even without a coach challenge. Referees are still human and can make mistakes, but allowing challenges and sideline reviews keeps them from ruining a game.

Each coach get's 2 total challenges per game; if they use one challenge in the first half and they win the challenge, they will still have two in the second half. If the coach is wrong with their first half challenge, they will only have one challenge in the second half.

There also has to be an option to reverse, remove, or call fouls during reviews and not just look for flagrant/intentional.

Reaction Score
USA Today had a great article about the officiating. The coaches have actually suggested having a publicized listing of the referees' ratings during the season, feeling that refs would be more diligent if they knew their performance was being posted.
Every coach demanded a postgame interview with a ref from the crew to justify game deciding calls.
But the reporter claimed that the biggest problem with improving the officiating is their leadership. Coaches no longer fill out ref evaluations after each game because they are always ignored. Penny Davis, the longtime head of WBB Officiating, refused to comment for the article & the NCAA allowed her to decline the interview. She appears to be content with "staus quo".

Reaction Score
Lord no...too many things to review now slowing down the game. The last 2 minutes is already 15 to 20 minutes with all the reviews.
then don't cry when there is a call you don't like.............................

Reaction Score
One challenge per team per half is an excellent idea whose time has come. The status quo needs to be shaken up. If nothing else it could be instituted on a trial basis for a season to determine if effective.

Reaction Score

any other suggestions
No argument with a fellow fan, feel the bleed for blue love but a difference of opinion. Agree with your first point and saw one just the other night, an overrule. No problem other official had a better view.
My point here is that nothing should be different during March as any game played any other month. Just as nothing should be called in the last two minutes of a game different as the previous minutes.
It is simply ridiculous how much contact is allowed through out the game and when behind, last two minutes a player can chase an opponent and touch them and get a whistle. Why not an intentional foul as it obviously was?

NCAA officials need to have improved training but not to see a game in one month or another to be different. What is needed is overall consistency from game one to the end and from the start of a game to the end. JMHO..... ;)

Reaction Score
I didn’t see this thread before I replied to a post in another thread so let me summarize that reply.

NCAA: Admit blatant referee errors especially in critical situations.

Identify the referees involved and put numbers on their uniforms for fan identification.

Publicly suspend them from all post season games.

This seems to work pretty well for the NFL. The NCAA must take responsibility.
"The NCAA must take responsibility."
Good luck with that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom